EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 18 Nov 2021, 06:34 PM   #1
LionelBiscuit

Fastmail Calendar synch to new Google Calendar

Hi all,

I'm posting here in the hope someone will be able to share a helpful link that will allow me to add my existing Fastmail Calendar to a new Google Calendar. My searches so far haven't quite hit the mark...

Any help would be appreciated.

LB
LionelBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Nov 2021, 09:09 PM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

You can export all the events from your Fastmail Calendar in the iCalendar format (which shows up as a .ics file) and import that file into your Google Calendar.

If you want to merge all the information in your Google and Fastmail calendars continuously in real time, I believe you must use a client which pulls from both using CalDAV. There is no way of doing this server side in either Google or Fastmail.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2021, 10:33 PM   #3
LionelBiscuit

Thanks for your reply BritTim, very helpful.

I'll take this up with Fastmail to see what they recommend. Much appreciated.
LionelBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2021, 07:33 AM   #4
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
You can export all the events from your Fastmail Calendar in the iCalendar format (which shows up as a .ics file) and import that file into your Google Calendar.

If you want to merge all the information in your Google and Fastmail calendars continuously in real time, I believe you must use a client which pulls from both using CalDAV. There is no way of doing this server side in either Google or Fastmail.
Fastmail used to recommend using CalDAV-Sync for Android to do this via an Android phone. This used to be stated in Fastmail's Help pages on calendar syncing.
CalDAV-Sync is a paid app.

However Fastmail no longer mentions CalDAV-Sync in their Help pages.
Also, it doesn't work properly any more.

It used to work well for may years, and would auto-sync between Fastmail and Google calendars at your set frequency.
Now the automation part does not work - I'd say it hasn't worked for maybe 2 years now.

Syncing with CalDAV-Sync can still work if you manually sync.
But don't buy it. It doesn't work properly.

I would be interested to know if anyone has found a reliable alternative to CalDAV-Sync.
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2021, 01:55 PM   #5
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I've been using CalDAV-Sync with Fastmail, using the aCalendar+ app on my Android 'phone for several years without problem.

If I ever want a quick sync I'll do it manually, but otherwise it will sync eventually - and when I say eventually I mean within an hour, but usually it syncs in a few minutes.

Xiaomi Mi A3
Android 11

Last edited by FredOnline : 19 Nov 2021 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Added my 'phone details
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2021, 02:18 PM   #6
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
I've been using CalDAV-Sync with Fastmail, using the aCalendar+ app on my Android 'phone for several years without problem.

If I ever want a quick sync I'll do it manually, but otherwise it will sync eventually - and when I say eventually I mean within an hour, but usually it syncs in a few minutes.
It used to work for me as well for a number of years.
But it hasn't worked automatically for me for quite a while - as I say - about 2 years now.
If you read the reviews in Google Play Store there are mixed results.
Others also complain of auto sync not working.
The app hasn't been updated since 2017. So it doesn't surprise me that there would be issues with later Android updates.
I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

Galaxy S20
Android 11
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2021, 05:30 AM   #7
sinan
Essential Contributor

I've been using Google Calendar, so I deleted FastMail calendar and added Google Calendar into Fastmail following the link. It's super easy to set up and has worked well for my use cases. I guess it's probably possible to do the the other way around as well.

"Add Account
Add your Google, iCloud, or other CalDAV calendars, and manage them through Fastmail. Learn more."
sinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2022, 11:35 PM   #8
JackMark

It's strange, these methods didn't work for me. I did not delete anything, I think I'll figure it out later and share the solution. Maybe it will be good for someone else.
UPD: You can use a single account to sync calendars if you plan it for yourself. My clients didn't get invitations because of this, google thought Fastmail was mine and sent everything to me (client addresses). I just distributed the 2023 june calendar month plans to my employees and asked them to send manual invitations until I figured out google.
My observations: don't sync Fastmail with google account, otherwise both calendars will be assigned to the same account. Synchronization takes a few hours, but it's bearable. Some invitations are sent twice - from google and Fastmail.

Last edited by JackMark : 26 Nov 2022 at 11:05 PM.
JackMark is offline   Reply With Quote