EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 23 Nov 2009, 08:52 PM   #1
sadams

Question Suggestion: Fastmail Management participate in these forums.

Posting this as a Feature Request as I think it may help FM focus on this suggestion.

Suggestion: Fastmail Management should value, actively and consistently contribute to these forums.

A) Executive Summary:
Fastmail appear not to properly value these forums and consequently don't actively engage here and miss opportunities to impress their customers and benefit from a closer understanding of the user base.

This attitude and lack of interaction leads to these forums having less value for both FM AND their customers.

This is silly and easy to fix – so why not do fix it then FM?

B) Full Version.

1) Context:
I am a long-time FM customer & user (only a personal account) and an occasional contributor here at the forums. I tend to visit/lurk occasionally and post when I have specific interests or questions.
It appears to me that the FM management don't actively and consistently participate in these forums and appear to consistently miss opportunities to help their users/customers.
This seems to me to be a wasted opportunity and results in these forums being of less value than they could (indeed should!) be.

2) Specific Examples:
I currently have an interest in understanding how FM can help me now and into the future as mobile/cloud-based/fully-integrated services and devices emerge. This is in the context of a shift in the way services are delivered and demanded. These changes offer threats and opportunities to FM – who surely must have ideas (if not a fully fledged strategy and plan) about how to address it.

I want to make well founded decisions about devices and services to adopt.. hence a visit here.
I have contributed to this thread (taking it a bit off topic.. or perhaps "widening the topic")
Fastmail with Android
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=57948
& have followed this separate but on a related theme thread:
Email/Calendar/Contacts Sync with Client/Web/Phone
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=56033

It seems there are quite a few people also interested to understand FM's position and future strategy on this.
However FM have missed the opportunity to make useful and authoritative statements AND have missed the opportunity to engage in a conversation with (likely) loyal, informed and motivated customers.

3) Speculation on why FM takes this position:
It appears that FM are not actively and consistently participating in the forum and are missing the opportunity to engage with users/customers.

It's not clear WHY they are doing this - I can speculate:
i) Lack of resources:
nobody of appropriate authority available to participate in an authoritative manner
lack of trust in a more junior member of staff to give out information
ii) Fear of engaging, or lack of skill in engaging, with users/customers:
in the "Fastmail with Android" thread someone from FM actually said: "We are always working on new things, but we don't like to comment here regarding release schedules, etc."
suggesting that they are unskilled at setting user/customer expectations. Note that this is in response to a request for information about long-term/strategic direction - not a specific feature. Of course it's never good to set users/customers expectations poorly - bad for the provider and the customer. But fear of making any useful and authoritative statements is just as bad!
iii) Fear of "giving away secrets!"
in the "Fastmail with Android" thread someone suggested that the reason for the FM reticence could be fear of revealing plans to competitors. Whilst this is a valid and understandable risk it is easy for a company to over-state that risk ("they want our secrets!!!") to the detriment of issuing clear guidance to the customers. So - sure sometimes there will be commercially sensitive areas.. but the user base here is savvy enough to be sensitive to this and understand this if FM make it clear on a specific thread/topic/question. A provider can also take such a conversation offline if necessary (maybe they FM do?). I expect most FM customers would be sensitive and appreciative should that be the case.

Whatever the reasons.. it seems to me FM do not value - or get the potential value out of - these forums as they could and should.

3) Mutual Advantages to FM & Customers via active, authoritative engagement here:

Whilst consistent active engagement here might suck up some FM resources it would also provide mutual benefits to FM & customers, including:

- Better Information Provision: Conversations (two way flow of information and opinion) between FM & customers - provides greater clarity of information and encourages greater user participation

- Efficiency: Cut down on needless speculation - rather than users (having to) speculate about specific topics/questions, FM could offer timely and useful information resulting in the saving of wasted time, effort and angst for users.
*Note: this does not stop users who like to speculate/argue/converse etc. from doing so should they still want to.

4) Final Thoughts:
I think one of FMs major differentiators to its competitors is customer service. This includes the provision of the service (uptime, response, features etc.) AND the support of the service (recovery from failures, support of technical problems).
This ethos appears to be missing here (in these forums). It appears to be forgotten that this is a public forum where potential customers can get a feel for the company and its services.
Why is an authoritative FM voice missing here?
It is a failing which can easily be fixed so why not fix it?
i.e.
- Where is the advantage for FM in NOT actively and consistently participating here?

I am mostly interested in an authoritative and well considered response on this from somebody senior at FM.
However of course I am also interested in the thoughts of other FM customers - whether you are a regular contributor here or more of a lurker/occasional dabbler like me.
Is your experience different to mine?
Have I picked unfair and unrepresentative examples?
Is my expectation for FM to value and take an active part here unreasonable or naïve?

Steve.

Last edited by sadams : 23 Nov 2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Forum truncated title.
sadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Nov 2009, 06:54 AM   #2
SvLSvLSvL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadams View Post
Suggestion: Fastmail Management should value, actively and consistently contribute to these forums.
Agreed

Quote:
- Where is the advantage for FM in NOT actively and consistently participating here?
1) loss of time, not for viewing of course but giving consistent and complete answers
2) promises can hurt.

Quote:
Is your experience different to mine?
No

Quote:
Is my expectation for FM to value and take an active part here inreasonable or naïve?
Steve.
Inreasonable, no.
Naive, perhaps. I guess so actually

Anyway, well spoken. Thanks.
SvLSvLSvL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2009, 03:44 AM   #3
Sherry

Steve, as per your request in another thread to participate in this thread I will respond here. The following is your request in the thread "Fastmail with Android".
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadams View Post
Sherry,
Nighthawk makes a good point.

I would love to progress our conversation (I really value your points and perspective) - would you be willing to cut/paste/re-post your contributions to the "Feature Requests" thread.
A couple of guys (rabarberski & ChinaLamb) have started to contribute to the other thread I referenced (Email/Calendar/Contacts Sync with Client/Web/Phone) - maybe we could get them to join in at the "Feature Requests" thread too.
Lets be positive...:
I think there is a great opportunity here to find a way to help and enable FM to find a way contribute more actively and usefully here without bearing an unreasonable cost.
Want to take part?
Regards, Steve.
As for copy/pasting my response to this thread that would be against the "cross-posting" rules of the forums. However I can post a link that responds to your feelings on FM's participation in the FM forums.

Link to my response

I will add that my next post pointed out that there were at least 35 posts by FM reps just in the last month showing that they do post to the forums.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2009, 07:14 AM   #4
William9
The "e" in e-mail

35 posts does not seem like many compared to David, for example.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2009, 09:45 AM   #5
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
35 posts does not seem like many compared to David, for example.
Hmm, I wonder if it's because David hasn't been trying to run an email service in the past month?

Sherry
Old 26 Nov 2009, 10:02 AM   #6
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
Hmm, I wonder if it's because David hasn't been trying to run an email service in the past month?
It is true, that David has not enough to do (until early December that is) after which he will be away for 7 weeks (until the end of January) so look after the forums for me please Sherry and keep the post count up
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2009, 10:07 AM   #7
Sherry

No problem. I'll log in as you and me then you'll get double posts. I better let this get back on topic though.