EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 14 Feb 2002, 02:42 AM   #1
spruce

Post Backup feature(s)

I am glad you have implemented the Zip file email backup feature as discussed in the How Can We Tell How Much K We Have Used? thread:
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...5&pagenumber=2

I haven't experimented with the .eml file in Outlook or anything yet, but I will when I get some of that elusive free time.

This is probably a feature request to be implememted in the far future, but will there be a way to back up Personalities? Will they be compatible with Mulberry identities? Would this be bundled with a way to back up your address book or be a separate file?

Also, was a new thread the right way to ask this, or is there a better place where users are supposed to ask for future features?

Thanks again, you guys are doing a great job!
spruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Feb 2002, 08:03 AM   #2
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Can you give me an example of why you'd want to backup personalities?

Unfortunately I don't know anything about Mulberry identities, so I'm not sure if the ideas of personalities and identities are the same thing.

Address book synchronisation is something we've been working on, so that should be a feature at some stage.

Creating a new thread for these sort of questions seems like the right thing to me.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2002, 08:41 AM   #3
gpdoyon

Re: Backup feature(s)

Quote:
Originally posted by spruce
This is probably a feature request to be implememted in the far future, but will there be a way to back up Personalities? Will they be compatible with Mulberry identities? Would this be bundled with a way to back up your address book or be a separate file?
Hi Spruce,

There are not ties or connections between Mulberry and FastMail. Rob and Jeremy are trying to get some people involved in writing a companion application that would synchronize our e-mail client address books with that of FastMail's.

I suppose it might be possible to sunchronize Mulbery's "Identities" with that of FastMails during the address book update, but, I can find no documentation regarding the format of these two files as yet.

I would say that this falls in to the "far off" project category. I have only three "Identities" within Mulberry right now. I would think that it would only take a short amount of time to configure FastMail to mimic most of Mulberry's identities in FastMail.

Rob, in Mulberry you create and "Identity" called "Work". You can tie a default identity to drafts, or link them to specific mail accounts or even folders.

Each identity can have it's own:

"From": Multiple or single e-mail addresses
"Reply To:" Multiple or single e-mail addresses
"Sender": Multiple or single e-mail addresses
"Outgoing": Multiple or single e-mail addresses

....and, optionally send a copy of the message to another folder when it is sent as well as add additional custom X-headers.

There is a little more you can do, but I wont bore you with more details unless you want them, or, if Spruce wants to add more to what I just posted.

- Gerry
gpdoyon is offline   Reply With Quote