EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

View Poll Results: Success or failure?
Got preferred fastmail.COM address - roll-out process was fair. 26 76.47%
Got preferred fastmail.COM address - roll-out process could have been better implemented. 8 23.53%
DID NOT get preferred fastmail.COM address - roll-out process was fair. 0 0%
DID NOT get preferred fastmail.COM address - roll-out process could have been better implemented. 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 29 Oct 2014, 04:35 AM   #1
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,273
About our first fastmail.com customer

Today's FastMail Weblog:

http://blog.fastmail.com/2014/10/28/...-com-customer/

Seeing as the Fastmail team are basking in the warm fuzzy glow of a successful roll-out, I thought it would be interesting to hear about the success (or not) of getting your own fastmail.COM e-mail address.

Poll is anonymous.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Oct 2014, 06:06 AM   #2
nighthawk700
Essential Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD Suburbs (US)
Posts: 236
Not enough options in the poll, so here's my write in:

Got my second choice preferred fastmail.COM address - roll-out process was fair.
nighthawk700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2014, 06:23 AM   #3
curvefan
Essential Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 484
Thanks to this site, and robn from fastmail, who gave us a heads up when things were going to go live, I was able to get the dot com address that I wanted.

I voted that I got the preferred name that I wanted and that it was fair in how they rolled it out.

I still wish that the people that had the .fm address would have gotten first dibs on the .com address, but all in all, it was handled as fairly as possible.

Thanks everybody......................
curvefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2014, 06:29 AM   #4
nighthawk700
Essential Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD Suburbs (US)
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by curvefan View Post
Thanks to this site, and robn from fastmail, who gave us a heads up when things were going to go live, I was able to get the dot com address that I wanted.

I voted that I got the preferred name that I wanted and that it was fair in how they rolled it out.

I still wish that the people that had the .fm address would have gotten first dibs on the .com address, but all in all, it was handled as fairly as possible.

Thanks everybody......................
I use the .us address, but have been a Fastmail user for over 10 years now. Why would it be fairer for someone with .fm to go ahead of me?
nighthawk700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2014, 06:42 AM   #5
curvefan
Essential Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk700 View Post
I use the .us address, but have been a Fastmail user for over 10 years now. Why would it be fairer for someone with .fm to go ahead of me?
Your point is well taken.

But, In my opinion, .fm was the name you registered because the .com version wasn't available.

I really don't believe all names are created equal.

Until the .com version was made available, the .fm took its place.

Just my opinion folks...............
curvefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2014, 08:34 AM   #6
William9
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,281
Anything other than .com is a second choice.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2014, 09:11 AM   #7
David
Ultimate Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Canada.
Posts: 10,355
Mankind is a selfish beast (at best) - you can bet your bottom dollar, that those who failed to get their preferred .com address, were not entirely happy with the process, especially if they owned a .fm address that they really liked.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2014, 09:13 AM   #8
cmac
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by curvefan View Post
Thanks to this site, and robn from fastmail, who gave us a heads up when things were going to go live, I was able to get the dot com address that I wanted.

I voted that I got the preferred name that I wanted and that it was fair in how they rolled it out.

I still wish that the people that had the .fm address would have gotten first dibs on the .com address, but all in all, it was handled as fairly as possible.

Thanks everybody......................
yes, if i were not a member of this forum i very much doubt i would of been successful in getting my [email protected].
cmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2014, 09:34 AM   #9
David
Ultimate Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Canada.
Posts: 10,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
yes, if i were not a member of this forum i very much doubt i would of been successful in getting my [email protected].
All of the firstname addresses I have owned (over the years) at good dot com domain's, have ended up (at the end of the day) becoming spam traps, and I have had to give them up.

If your first name is as rare as hen's teeth you might have better luck than I
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2014, 03:15 AM   #10
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
All of the firstname addresses I have owned (over the years) at good dot com domain's, have ended up (at the end of the day) becoming spam traps, and I have had to give them up.
As I stated in another thread, I did not get an e-mail from Fastmail about the roll-out.

It was only by luck - being active on this forum, and so being aware of when the roll-out was happening - that I got my preferred fastmail.com address.

Otherwise, I wouldn't have known about it.

Now I have this address, and already getting spam to it, I'm wondering if there's any way (rules/sieve) to make this particular address to accept whitelist (addresses in address book) only, and reject all others?

I don't get spam to my other addresses on this account, so just looking at the fastmail.com address only.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2014, 10:14 AM   #11
jeffpan
Master of the @
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Macao
Posts: 1,645

Representative of:
Mail.dnsbed.com
Two questions about FM the company

  • Has FM been bought back from Opera?
  • Fastmail.com is a canada company IIRC, has FM bought this company?

Thanks
jeffpan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2014, 10:27 AM   #12
robn
Master of the @
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,007

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
Has FM been bought back from Opera?
Yes, last year: http://blog.fastmail.com/2013/09/25/...ss-from-opera/

Quote:
Fastmail.com is a canada company IIRC, has FM bought this company?
You're talking about fastmail.ca. No, they are unrelated to FastMail.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2014, 11:57 AM   #13
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Irving, Texas
Posts: 8,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
As I stated in another thread, I did not get an e-mail from Fastmail about the roll-out...
There are four Fastmail notification selections in Advanced>Preferences. As far as I can tell, for "chatty" or "informative" notification preference notices were sent to all account levels (even grandfathered legacy Member and Guest accounts) on or about Oct 20. The notices show a green checkmark (using the normal web interface) and the subject was "FastMail is moving to fastmail.com". I don't know what happened if your notification selection was "important", and assume that you would not get a notice if you selected "none". I also recommend that you subscribe to the Fastmail blog at http://blog.fastmail.com to see additional information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
...Now I have this address, and already getting spam to it, I'm wondering if there's any way (rules/sieve) to make this particular address to accept whitelist (addresses in address book) only, and reject all others?...
Yes, this is possible with either a discard rule or file into spam folder advanced rule. I will post the details in a few minutes.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2014, 12:49 PM   #14
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Irving, Texas
Posts: 8,548
Arrow Discard messages sent to certain aliases unless whitelisted

You can discard all messages sent to one or more aliases (unless they are whitelisted) as follows:
  • Go to the Advanced>Rules>Discard tab
  • Create discard rule(s) as follows:
    • Message with: To/Cc/Bcc
    • That: Contains
    • The text: {alias address you wish to discard}
    • Click Add
    • You can add additional aliases if you wish
    • Be sure to enable Skip reject rules on known sender near the bottom of the screen
    • Click Save changes
    • Click Apply all changes at the top
All messages sent to those specific aliases will be discarded unless any of these is true:
  • The sender address is in the online address book
  • The message is sent by Fastmail staff manually or automatically
  • The secret word (defined on the discard page) is included in the subject or the To address
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2014, 04:06 PM   #15
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
You can discard all messages sent to one or more aliases (unless they are whitelisted) as follows:
  • Go to the Advanced>Rules>Discard tab
  • Create discard rule(s) as follows:
    • Message with: To/Cc/Bcc
    • That: Contains
    • The text: {alias address you wish to discard}
    • Click Add
    • You can add additional aliases if you wish
    • Be sure to enable Skip reject rules on known sender near the bottom of the screen
    • Click Save changes
    • Click Apply all changes at the top
All messages sent to those specific aliases will be discarded unless any of these is true:
  • The sender address is in the online address book
  • The message is sent by Fastmail staff manually or automatically
  • The secret word (defined on the discard page) is included in the subject or the To address
Bill
Yes, thanks for that info, Bill.

The skip reject rules on known sender near the bottom of the screen was confusing as it didn't seem to relate (to me anyway) to the discard option near the top of the screen.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 09:32 PM.

 

Copyright EmailDiscussions.com 1998-2013. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy