EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 12 Nov 2014, 04:04 PM   #16
steventay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adon View Post
The default is 25 messages, yes, and you can increase it up to 5000 messages *or* sync messages based on a time period.

I didn't change the default.

[quote=Adon;578289]Yes, I'm using the pro one. It's the most feature rich POP3/IMAP/Exchange client available for Android and the UI is designed with power users in mind so less eye candy and more power features. It's been around for quite some time so it's mature and stable and I use it to handle my personal and work accounts.

AquaMail Pro can use activesync? sync with contact, calander with native android?

i heard that pro version support Personalities.

how does it work with fastmail?

configure many alias email all with the same fastmail acc?

Last edited by steventay : 12 Nov 2014 at 04:44 PM.
steventay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2014, 04:48 PM   #17
Adon

I'm not sure about ActiveSync.

Quote:
configure many alias email all with the same fastmail acc?
Yes.
Adon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2014, 05:16 PM   #18
steventay

Quote:

Yes.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...UnlockerMarket

The unlocker lets you configure more than two accounts, use identites (aliases), and removes the promo signature at the bottom of each outgoing message.

so no need to duplicate acc, just add identites which is alias email.

not bad software

http://www.aqua-mail.com/?page_id=227
Old 12 Nov 2014, 06:16 PM   #19
nighthawk700
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
Not currently.

Its actually rather difficult to implement and make the UI quite complicated, so it would take some time to do. Based on our data we know that people who do filter new mail into folders usually do it because they don't want to see them immediately, so it seems that allowing per-folder notifications is quite a lot of work for very little gain.

A different angle might be have a sieve notify target that sends a push notification, so we don't have to provide UI. But that's just an idea; we haven't looked into it.

Once we've done some of the other things we want to do we'll revisit this, I'm sure.
Thanks for this info. Just for a data point, I filter into different folders so I have an idea of the content coming in. Geocaching email goes into one folder, and that I usually want to see right away. Motorcycle group email into another folder, I'll get to it when I get to it. Known advertisers and such into another folder, blah, maybe I'll look, maybe I'll delete. Anything else into the inbox to see what's up. A gross generalization (currently over 100 folders, with instant notification of 3 in K9) but gives the idea. I'll put this app on the back burner for the moment, but still good to see the development going on!
nighthawk700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2014, 06:36 PM   #20
steventay

Quote:

Yes.

For live.com email use android mail configure as exchange and there is a option to sync contact and calender.

When use aqua mail live.com configure it as imap. I try to set as exchange in aqua mail and it does not detect the setting.
Old 12 Nov 2014, 07:20 PM   #21
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Based on our data we know that people who do filter new mail into folders usually do it because they don't want to see them immediately, so it seems that allowing per-folder notifications is quite a lot of work for very little gain.
I must be an edge case then. I don't filter mail into folders to hide it for later, but to organize things. I have a few dozen rules to sort mail on arrival into the proper places: personal mail into various folders by correspondent, work mail into different folders depending on the type of work and the specific project, certain commercial mail by vendor, social media-related items into their proper places. In nearly all those cases, I want to know right away when the mail arrives.

I could certainly try to change the way I work, have everything delivered to the inbox, and manually file messages away into different folders when I'm done reading them. But that would require a lot more "mail management" and "mail organization" time than I'm currently investing. And after so many years of relying on rules and carefully-organized IMAP folders to do the heavy lifting for me, it would be difficult for me to shift gears now.
Pfolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2014, 07:43 PM   #22
Merovingian
Master of the @

Question about battery life using the Fastmail app:

Until yesterday, I have been using the K9-mail app. I had it set to poll every 30 minutes, as it seems any more often would really hurt my battery life.

With the Fastmail app giving immediate notifications of incoming mail, does that mean that it is constantly polling my account, thereby really putting a drain on my battery life on my phone?

thanks for any clarification~
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2014, 07:52 PM   #23
randian
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
Until yesterday, I have been using the K9-mail app. I had it set to poll every 30 minutes, as it seems any more often would really hurt my battery life.
I have Kaiten Mail (cousin to K-9) set to push (IMAP) only, no polling. Battery life is quite satisfactory on my Moto X.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2014, 07:52 PM   #24
danieldk
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
With the Fastmail app giving immediate notifications of incoming mail, does that mean that it is constantly polling my account, thereby really putting a drain on my battery life on my phone?
No, it is not constantly polling. Android always keeps a TCP connection open to Google's servers as a push notification channel. This is used by all applications. So, the power use is more dependent on how many messages you get in your inbox and thus how much data is transmitted via that TCP connection.

This is also the reason why some Wifi routers break push notifications on Android. Android sends a packet across the connection to keep the connection alive. However, some routers drop connections automatically in a shorter time-frame of inactivity. As a result, push notifications will not arrive, until a new push connection is made.

My home router is such a device, and for that reason I have to disable use of Wifi when the phone sleeps.

iOS does not have this problem, because it always uses the mobile internet connection (when available).

Last edited by danieldk : 12 Nov 2014 at 09:44 PM.
danieldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2014, 08:06 PM   #25
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieldk View Post
No, it is not constantly polling. Android always keeps a TCP connection open to Google's servers as a push notification channel. This is used by all applications. So, the power use is more dependent on how many messages you get in your inbox and thus how much data is transmitted via that TCP connection.
I tried pretty hard to not wake the phone unnecessarily. FastMail servers won't send more than one push every ten seconds so if your inbox is getting flooded, it won't generate tens/hundreds/thousands of pushes. Processing each one has to wake your phone, which would suck.

The actual data transmitted in the push is pretty small, just the device identifier and your user ID. We don't send any mail data in the push for two reasons. One, the push channel isn't reliable so we don't want to have to deal with a push being lost. Two, it'd be a bit sucky for privacy if we were sending message metadata through Google servers

When the phone receives a push it then performs a JMAP call back to FastMail to get the updates since the last time it checked, and builds a new notification out of that.

There's a couple of other things that can trigger this check. Opening the app does it, and it also does it when the network becomes available. That was amazingly useful when I was on holiday in the Victorian countryside last week, where the network coverage on Optus is somewhere between patchy and nonexistent. Every time I got just a little bit of network, my phone would wake up and see if I had new mail and update my notifications, buzzing my Pebble watch if anything new arrived. I barely had my phone out of my pocket for the whole trip. Its so nice to not even have to think about it.

Most of the time, in good network conditions with a normal trickle of mail, your phone should be pretty much idle. I certainly haven't noticed any significant change in my battery life and I get plenty of mail all day long.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2014, 08:11 PM   #26
Merovingian
Master of the @

Quote:
Most of the time, in good network conditions with a normal trickle of mail, your phone should be pretty much idle. I certainly haven't noticed any significant change in my battery life and I get plenty of mail all day long.
excellent.

Thanks again for this app, and for your explanations!
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2014, 09:47 PM   #27
danieldk
Essential Contributor

Quote:
The actual data transmitted in the push is pretty small, just the device identifier and your user ID. We don't send any mail data in the push for two reasons. One, the push channel isn't reliable so we don't want to have to deal with a push being lost. Two, it'd be a bit sucky for privacy if we were sending message metadata through Google servers
That's great to hear! Definitely good for privacy.
danieldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2014, 10:22 PM   #28
Gankaku

Ooo downloading! New toy!
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2014, 12:34 AM   #29
Drencrom
Master of the @

Amazing app! Thank you FastMail team!

A possibility to enter a short PIN (similar to LastPass Android app) to open the app would be a great improvement. Right now you are either logged in all the time (not safe) or have to enter both username and password each time you log in.
Drencrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2014, 01:03 AM   #30
paleolith
Cornerstone of the Community

Is there any way to change the font size? The app does not respect pinching. (BOO!!!) Even after five eye surgeries, my aging eyes are no longer up to reading tiny text. I got a tablet rather than a "phone" so I could see things larger, but the app seems to use sizes appropriate for a phone anyway.

Edward
paleolith is offline   Reply With Quote