EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 4 Sep 2010, 08:16 AM   #1
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Zenbe Mail will be shutting down Oct 8th, 2010

The next one....

Quote:
Zenbe Mail will be shutting down on Oct 8th, 2010. However, you will still be able to access your Shareflow data. After Oct 8th, logging in will bring you directly into Shareflow without the email component.

When we started Zenbe, our original goal was to build the next generation of email. We’re proud of many of the unique features we pioneered, many of which are still ahead of the curve. We built Zenbe Mail as email users ourselves, and we feel it’s still arguably the very best email experience available.

Meanwhile, over the last few years, the communication landscape has fundamentally changed. Hundreds of millions of smartphones are in use everyday, transforming personal communication. Facebook, Twitter, and other social services have dramatically changed the ways in which people share social information.

Those changes led us to build Shareflow as a way to have more natural conversations and reduce inbox clutter. Recently we’ve started to explore even more focused Shareflow-like conversations. Blacktop lets you create “trips” from your Foursquare and Facebook check-ins, share those trips, and have conversations about them. Facebook recently highlighted Blacktop in a post on their Platform Page. And we have plans to bring conversation features to our most popular app, Zenbe Lists.

Unfortunately, as a small company we don’t have enough resources to continue to support all four of our current products. It was a difficult decision for us, but we ultimately decided to discontinue Mail and focus our efforts on Lists, Shareflow and Blacktop. These, and other mobile, social, sharing applications will be Zenbe’s core focus going forward.

We want to thank our Mail users for supporting us, we understand many of you have come to depend on our mail service for your personal and business email needs. We apologize for any inconvenience this will cause. We’ve developed a detailed guide that will help ease your migration to another email service. The guide, found here, will answer many of your specific questions. Note, we stopped our billing for Mail a month ago, and we’ll not bill any accounts during this migration period.

Lastly, Zenbe Mail was a labor of love. We’re going to miss it, too.
Source: The Zenbe.com Blog.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4 Sep 2010, 09:16 AM   #2
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

I guess I can't say it surprises me that much. From the time I opened my account there until my account along with all other free accounts was discontinued, perhaps a year or two later, my general impression of the email interface, and their "over-hyped" service in general, was "much ado about nothing," hence I never made any use of my account the entire time I had it, other than sending one or two test messages to and from.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2010, 11:37 PM   #3
mikedk
Cornerstone of the Community

I saw the writing on the wall earlier this year and jumped ship, even though my business account was free (the result of an earlier marketing campaign). This campaign in itself was a statement of their faltering business health IMHO, attracting users with free email accounts in the hope that they would sign up to paid shareflow.
mikedk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2010, 10:39 PM   #4
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Never used them myself. However, as one abstaining from social network services, their motivation for shutting down email and retaining their networking platform sounds worrying. I hope they're not going to set the example for many services to follow until only the rich guns AOL, Yahoo, Gmail and Hotmail remain whereas people are instructed to replace email by Facebook and such alltogether. I still left my MySpace and Facebook accounts dormant and the day I know how to remove them from the WWW alltogether I will do so. I hope however that soon I won't hear from people "I don't use email but gimme your Facebook address instead"
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2010, 01:58 AM   #5
mikedk
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Never used them myself. However, as one abstaining from social network services, their motivation for shutting down email and retaining their networking platform sounds worrying. I hope they're not going to set the example for many services to follow until only the rich guns AOL, Yahoo, Gmail and Hotmail remain whereas people are instructed to replace email by Facebook and such alltogether. I still left my MySpace and Facebook accounts dormant and the day I know how to remove them from the WWW alltogether I will do so. I hope however that soon I won't hear from people "I don't use email but gimme your Facebook address instead"
Facebook, who? Never heard of them
mikedk is offline   Reply With Quote