EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 Dec 2016, 09:40 PM   #1
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

suggestion: "Special" whitelist group in address book

Hi,

It would be useful to me to be able to add email addresses to a whitelist group such that they help with the whole spam thing, but addresses in this group do not show up as an available address when I want to send an email.

...it's would be a nice way to tuck-away addresses that you don't want to email, but you do want to receive from (maybe bank alert addresses or email list addresses etc).

What do others think?

cheers,
James.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Dec 2016, 10:08 PM   #2
misc
Essential Contributor

Hi James,

this is quite similar to what I asked for back in July 2015:
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...4&postcount=51

That time, Rob held out the prospect of a very nice solution for that. Let's hope they didn't forget about this…

Cheers,
Michael
misc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2016, 10:10 PM   #3
JamesHenderson

Hi MIsc - sorry, I missed your post when searching whether this topic already existed (before opening this thread).
Old 2 Dec 2016, 08:31 AM   #4
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHenderson View Post
What do others think?
......Ditto.......
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Dec 2016, 05:58 AM   #5
ewal
Master of the @

100% support this idea.

I have dozens (maybe hundreds) of email addresses that I whitelist via the normal address book. Definitely would be helpful to have this separated out in some way.

But in the absence of this I have for a long time now simply been adding a string of zzzzs in the nickname which I find useful to distinguish between normal email addresses and admin type email addresses.

Ed
ewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Dec 2016, 11:30 PM   #6
Der

No doubt that it would be a nice little feature, but it's not like you currently need multiple entries in your address book to do your whilelisting...do you? Can't you just have a single "Whitelist" entry with a whole bunch of email addresses in it?

In theory, this is what I do, but in practice I do so little whitelisting that I'm not sure I've really tested it well to see if it works the way I think it does.
Der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Dec 2016, 11:37 PM   #7
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der View Post
No doubt that it would be a nice little feature, but it's not like you currently need multiple entries in your address book to do your whilelisting...do you? Can't you just have a single "Whitelist" entry with a whole bunch of email addresses in it?

In theory, this is what I do, but in practice I do so little whitelisting that I'm not sure I've really tested it well to see if it works the way I think it does.
...it's really only about not having those email addresses pop up when you are trying to send an email.
Old 23 Sep 2019, 06:27 PM   #8
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der View Post

If you put a bunch of addresses under a contact called "whitetlist", they show as being from "whitelist" which isn't great.

...this happened to me this morning which prompted me to to lookup this thread and bump it.

[edit: typo - promoted -> prompted]

Last edited by JamesHenderson : 1 Oct 2019 at 07:14 PM.