EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 24 Apr 2020, 01:09 AM   #16
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

IIWY I'd open a free account somewhere and use pop/imap retrieval.

If someone tells you on a forum they want to contact you immediately you can log-in or force a retrieval, otherwise I don't see why the delay would matter all that much.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 08:23 AM   #17
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
If someone tells you on a forum they want to contact you immediately you can log-in or force a retrieval, otherwise I don't see why the delay would matter all that much.
I've encountered many reasons when the POP3 delay with Gmail is a huge hassle. For example, when you are trying to do a password reset, or in some cases when getting a security code, or when changing an email address, or when inserting the password in a new site and they want you to verify it. In any case, if you just happen to be on your phone it is not always easy to log into the other service and force a retrieval, and some services (like Gmail) sometimes won't do it.

The most reliable forwarding service that also includes an SMTP server for sending reliably is Pobox.com. Their basic level is $20 per year. I don't see what the free services offer over just using a domain name host that provides free email forwarding. Some of the very inexpensive ones provide it like Porkbun and Namesilo, along with many others at all price levels.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 12:41 AM   #18
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I've encountered many reasons when the POP3 delay with Gmail is a huge hassle.
None of them seem particularly relevant to the OP's use case.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 08:19 AM   #19
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
The purpose would be to be able to post, in forums I am member of, an email address which allows members to email me, without exposing my real email address...
For this purpose I have been using spamgourmet (free) and Sneakemail (paid) for almost twenty years. Both very reliable. I stopped using Sneakemail because I thought it wasn't worth the $24 per year (now it's $36). I changed all my sneakemail addresses to different subdomains in my domain. If I hadn't become addicted to spamgourmet (with their xoxy.net domain) I probably would have dedicated a domain for this purpose (register a domain for for a few $$ a year and use different subdomains for disposable addresses. a subdomain can be "disposed of" by creating fake dns records, or by setting a catchall address to discard all email).
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote