EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 Oct 2008, 01:48 AM   #16
soromak
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhak View Post
Are any of the subfolders of INBOX named inbox? I can't tell in your webmail screenshot, but the subscribed IMAP folders screenshot in TB would suggest so.
no in the webmail I can't see any subfolders called inbox.
Inbox exists only once.
However I have just seen INBOX.inbox thing when I checked my Fastmail account with Mulberry. It showed INBOX.inbox.foldername as You said.
How to get rid of additional inbox when I can't see it at my webmail screens...
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Oct 2008, 01:52 AM   #17
zhak
Master of the @

I can't tell from your webmail screenshot which server you were using, but according to this older post of Rob's, you should be able to see these folders on the beta server and cleanup using the folders screen. You can move folders with messages, and delete empty folders as needed.
zhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Oct 2008, 02:02 AM   #18
soromak

Quote:
I can't tell from your webmail screenshot which server you were using, but according to this older post of Rob's, you should be able to see these folders on the beta server and cleanup using the folders screen. You can move folders with messages, and delete empty folders as needed.
See my folders listed through webmail on beta server:
http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/1320/foldersdx9.jpg
no sign of additional inbox. Sth is really wrong.
Old 1 Oct 2008, 02:06 AM   #19
zhak
Master of the @

Ok, then at this point I would submit a support ticket and also email Rob (his address is shown here) referencing this thread in both messages.

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=54117

The reason I say this is needed at this point is that if both TB and Mulberry report the folders are there, then it is not just an issue of uninstalling and reinstalling TB. And since the beta webmail does not show these folders, yet they show up when attempting to subscribe to folders, then you cannot cleanup the folder structure.
Old 1 Oct 2008, 02:09 AM   #20
soromak

Quote:
Ok, then at this point I would submit a support ticket and also email Rob (his address is shown here) referencing this thread in both messages.

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=54117
Thank You for Your help. I will submit ticket and contact Rob.
Old 1 Oct 2008, 02:12 AM   #21
zhak
Master of the @

You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't help you further...
Old 1 Oct 2008, 10:30 PM   #22
JRobert
Master of the @

Quote:
The reason we use the root folder path of INBOX. is because in Cyrus IMAP everything is a subfolder of INBOX, such as:

INBOX.Sent Items
INBOX.Drafts
I think this is the source of the problem (& confusion!) - i.e., what we think of as our FM inbox, Cyrus treats as just another folder within what it calls "INBOX.". That's why Sent Items' full name is INBOX.Sent Items. Our inbox's full name is really INBOX.Inbox, reflecting this.

I'm seeing the same thing in TB that you are, soromak. I've brought this up before, and Rob recently polled folks here for who has folders within their INBOX.Inbox for this reason. This seems to be a tough one for IMAP clients to get right. TB has only just gotten it to work stably (you decide whether it's 'right' ) within the last revision or two; Apple Mail still hasn't gotten it to work - it messes up when there are subfolders of INBOX.Inbox. [Oops - see my (somewhat qualified) retraction downthread] (IIRC, 'messed up' means it created a new sub-level of folders with inbox, within inbox, ..., each time I tried to enter and read in of the Inbox subfolders).

In my display in TB, the INBOX.Inbox (parent of INBOX.Inbox.<subfolder>) is displayed as a light gray phantom, which reminds me not to expect messages in there. Given that, it does seem to function correctly, despite not being ideal, visually.

Last edited by JRobert : 2 Oct 2008 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Mea maybe culpa re: Apple Mail
JRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Oct 2008, 10:48 PM   #23
soromak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobert View Post
I think this is the source of the problem (& confusion!) - i.e., what we think of as our FM inbox, Cyrus treats as just another folder within what it calls "INBOX.". That's why Sent Items' full name is INBOX.Sent Items. Our inbox's full name is really INBOX.Inbox, reflecting this.

I'm seeing the same thing in TB that you are, soromak. I've brought this up before, and Rob recently polled folks here for who has folders within their INBOX.Inbox for this reason. This seems to be a tough one for IMAP clients to get right. TB has only just gotten it to work stably (you decide whether it's 'right' ) within the last revision or two; Apple Mail still can't get it to work - it messes up when there are subfolders of INBOX.Inbox. (IIRC, it 'messed up' by creating a new sub-level of folders with inbox, within inbox, ..., each time I tried to enter and read in of the Inbox subfolders).

In my display in TB, the INBOX.Inbox (parent of INBOX.Inbox.<subfolder>) is as a light gray phantom, which reminds me not to expect messages in there. Given that, it does seem to function correctly, despite not being ideal, visually.
I raised that problem to Rob and he suggested me to put my inbox subfolders to Top level in webmail or put them elsewhere.
I put my inbox subfolders to Top level, it is a bit different from I expected but now more comfortable for me than have 2 inboxes and 2 subfolder structures and only 1 working and still easy to manage via webmail.
I must say that not only TB had problem with my folders structure. I tested it with Mulberry as well.
But now I can live with it as is.
Old 1 Oct 2008, 10:55 PM   #24
stanwood

Soromak,

I used to use subfolders of Inbox because I wanted all of my incoming mail folders in one place. Later I discovered that I can change the order of folders on the web interface by adjusting the sort priority. So now my folders are at top level but sorted to the top of the web interface. I don't know if TB will respect this sort order but it may improve your experience on the web interface now that you've abandoned inbox subfolders.
stanwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Oct 2008, 11:20 PM   #25
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by soromak View Post
The same
INBOX followed by a period. I have checked twice with FM FAQ.
I never put INBOX in the "IMAP Server Directory" field - I leave it blank and have no problems...
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Oct 2008, 11:27 PM   #26
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
I never put INBOX in the "IMAP Server Directory" field - I leave it blank and have no problems...
Same here.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Oct 2008, 03:32 AM   #27
zhak
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
I've used it both ways without problem either.

For example, I just recreated an account in TB for my guest FM account with no root folder prefix, and then changed it. It worked fine with or without the prefix. It just appears differently, and depending on how you like it to appear, you can decide to use the prefix or not. I prefer the 'with prefix' appearance of the left pane.

with INBOX. prefix
subscribe dialog and left pane

without prefix
subscribe dialog and left pane

And you can easily change back and forth, just collapsing and expanding the account tree in the left pane causes the folders to be reorganized.

I think the problem comes in when creating the subfolders of the inbox, which generates the INBOX.inbox folders. Perhaps this confuses the clients and makes this auto-reorganization difficult or not possible, and also confuses the subscription process when 'refreshing' the subscription.

Last edited by zhak : 2 Oct 2008 at 03:57 AM. Reason: added in italics
Old 2 Oct 2008, 03:46 AM   #28
zhak
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanwood View Post
Later I discovered that I can change the order of folders on the web interface by adjusting the sort priority. So now my folders are at top level but sorted to the top of the web interface. I don't know if TB will respect this sort order...
No, unfortunately, it does not. TB has it's own near-top position for certain system folders, or any folder where sent messages are saved.
Old 2 Oct 2008, 06:54 AM   #29
JRobert
Master of the @

I wrote:
Quote:
Apple Mail still hasn't gotten it to work - it messes up when there are subfolders of INBOX.Inbox.
but, recalling that the OS 10.5.5 update also updated Mail (to v 3.5), I just gave it another quick try. They may have finally solved this one.

Last edited by JRobert : 2 Oct 2008 at 07:00 AM.
JRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2008, 12:10 AM   #30
dantheman

Me thinks Fastmail has done something.

I was always able to access account without problems before.

143 was always working just fine.
dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote