EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 31 Jul 2019, 10:32 PM   #1
Ken7

Outlook vs Fastmail For Personal Domains

How does Outlook handle your personal domains in Outlook? Any issues??

I have a free account with Outlook and it seems I can add up to 20 personal domains into Outlook online.

I know Fastmail is a high-quality provider and have been using them.

Thanks
Ken7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Aug 2019, 03:10 PM   #2
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Do you mean office365? that is quite well for commercial applications such as email, storage, documents etc. FM is primary a email hosting. I have been using google gsuite for commercial apps.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Aug 2019, 07:48 PM   #3
jdtaylor
Master of the @

Maybe that's the case and I missed it.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Aug 2019, 10:33 PM   #4
soromak
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
Do you mean office365? that is quite well for commercial applications such as email, storage, documents etc. FM is primary a email hosting. I have been using google gsuite for commercial apps.
AFAIK you can host your domains in Outlook Premium.
I managed to snap such a premium subscription included in my Skype calling monthly subscription.
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Aug 2019, 11:57 PM   #5
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken7 View Post
How does Outlook handle your personal domains in Outlook? Any issues??

I have a free account with Outlook and it seems I can add up to 20 personal domains into Outlook online.

I know Fastmail is a high-quality provider and have been using them.

Thanks
Do you mean you have a @outlook.com account and want to use its webmail for hosting an own domain?

Or you want to use your own domain for email in the Outlook mail client/app?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Aug 2019, 12:24 AM   #6
Ken7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Do you mean you have a @outlook.com account and want to use its webmail for hosting an own domain?

Or you want to use your own domain for email in the Outlook mail client/app?
I want to use the Outlook client/app for my own email domain.
I have an email account with Microsoft and I understand I can have up to 20 domains to connect through Outlook, if I understand this correctly.
Ken7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Aug 2019, 04:51 AM   #7
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks to the Microsoft's brilliant naming policy you managed to confuse everybody: Outlook (email client and more, part of the Office suite) versus outlook[.com], email provider.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Aug 2019, 11:04 AM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Outlook.com can sync from other services, but has limited personal domain support

If you want to use the Microsoft outlook.com email service to host receiving email sent to non-Microsoft domains, I don't see why you think you can use 20 personal domains. Show us a Microsoft link which describes this. This is completely different than using different From addresses to send messages, which many email clients can do, or syncing email already received at other services.

My guess is that you saw the ability to Sync email in the Outlook.com settings. This allows you to let the Outlook.com server to connect to up to 20 other email accounts you own (such as Gmail or Fastmail) and use POP or IMAP to pull in messages sent to those other accounts and stored on the external servers, or send messages using the SMTP outgoing email servers of those other accounts. In this case Outlook.com is not directly handling the incoming email at your personal domains, but if you already had some personal domains set up at other services (such as Fastmail) you could pull those messages into your Outlook.com account. You can also set up some local email clients (such as Thunderbird) to pull over messages from multiple email services.

Fastmail does a great job supporting multiple personal domains if you have a Standard or better account (or grandfathered equivalent old accounts). For email sent to addresses at your personal domain(s) to be delivered and stored at a particular email server, the following must be set up:
  • The DNS records for your domain(s) must be set up to deliver email to the proper server which will store the messages. At a minimum this requires you to set the MX records to point to that server.
  • The email server (outlook.com Microsoft services or Fastmail services) must be configured so it accepts messages sent to your domain(s).
  • The email system which uses the email server must be set up to store the messages from different domains in an appropriate manner. It might have different Inboxes for each domain, or one Inbox which receives messages sent to all domains you control through that system, or allow the use of Sieve or other rules to separate incoming messages into different folders based on the target address domain. Fastmail can handle this very well at the server end.
Microsoft used to have a "premium" outlook.com service at https://premium.outlook.com, but now they instead offer several Office 365 paid subscription services which offer "premium" outlook.com email features. See:
https://products.office.com/en-us/co...ffice-products

You can get a single (I don't see mention of more than one) personalized Outlook.com domain if you have the Office 365 Home or Office 365 Personal paid editions. See:
https://support.office.com/en-us/art...7-8979403b427b

But the domain must be purchased through GoDaddy. They do not support other domains, and I only see mention of using one personal domain. I have an Office 365 Home subscription, and when I start down the personalized domain setup it appears to me that only one GoDaddy domain is possible - but since my personal domain is not from GoDaddy I can't fully test this.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote