EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Dec 2023, 07:38 AM   #1
Confused

2 users/2 domains one account?

I see multiple domains are usable looking at sign up, but then I see talk about everything only going to 1 user? Can I have separate emails on 2 domains with separate logins if using Imap? a@domain1.com c@otherdomain.com with separate logins?

My host (that I have only really used for emails) now says I have too much space being used for email, and they are not a mail server, so I'm looking to move email addresses to a mail server and just get rid of the hosting. Do I need 2 separate user accounts for 2 separate domains?

Thanks!
Confused is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31 Dec 2023, 02:30 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

I assume you are looking to access your email using a desktop (or mobile) mail client rather than the web interface. If that is not your intention, please make this clear, and I will cover the approach when using the Fastmail App or using Fastmail through the browser.

This is a fairly big subject to get everything set up perfectly. I summarise my preferred approach briefly below.

The exact approach which is best to use depends on the capabilities of your mail client. However, in most cases, the following works well..

First, recognise that, by default, all your domains, and the default Fastmail domain, use the same set of folders. What you can do is create a separate folder hierarchy under Inbox for each of your custom domains. That is, create something like:

Code:
Inbox --+
             |
             +- MyDomain1--+
                                        |
                                        +- In
                                        +- Sent
                                        +- Sales
                                        +- etc.
             |
             +- MyDomain2--+
                                        |
                                        +- In
                                        +- Sent
                                        +- Enquiries
                                        +- etc.
You then defines Rules that ensure incoming and outgoing messages for each domain go the the correct In and Sent folders. Note that there is a setting under Folders that allows you to specify the default From email address when sending emails using the browser interface or Fastmail app when within that folder or its subfolders.

When setting up your mail client, You usually have two options (though some clients are more limited). You can use a single IMAP connection, but then use Identities to ensure you view the appropriate folder hierarchy for each domain. Alternatively, you can override the IMAP Path to specify, for instance, that you only want to see folders under Inbox/My Domain2 for this IMAP connection. If you want to do this, but still have multiple Domains visible within the same client using multiple IMAP connections, there are several alternative forms that can be used for the Fastmail login name (for instance, john/fastmail.com instead of john@fastmail.com) using different IMAP Path specifications.

See if this helps, or you need better advice. Maybe, others will suggest approaches you like better.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2023, 02:52 AM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

This is easier to do with other providers. For example, Purelymail would allow you to have multiple personal domains and multiple email inboxes, with separate logins, all on one account for about $10 per year.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jan 2024, 01:29 AM   #4
placebo
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused View Post
I see multiple domains are usable looking at sign up, but then I see talk about everything only going to 1 user? Can I have separate emails on 2 domains with separate logins if using Imap? a@domain1.com c@otherdomain.com with separate logins?
In the past, it used to be you'd have one account and add your domains, but all the email was delivered to that one account. You used rules, aliases, and other techniques to direct mail to particular folders.

Nowadays, you can set up additional accounts under your main account. These would work the way you probably have in mind with separate logins.

A drawback with Fastmail is that this can get fairly expensive when compared to other providers. You don't get a price break for additional users; you pay full price. For example, with two users, you'd have to pay $50 for the main account to be able to use custom domains and at least $30 for the second account if the basic level provides enough features. If you want to be able to access both accounts with IMAP, you're looking at $100 per year (two standard accounts at $50/year each) since the basic level doesn't support use with third-party mail clients.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote