EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Jul 2008, 08:27 AM   #1
binary

Exclamation "Last successful web login" time all wrong!

Hi,

I've an issue with two of my enhanced accounts (one of which isn't really mine, I'm more of an informal administrator of it as it were!).

The message that displays when "Your last successful web login was [...]" is stuck on displaying a time on Sunday afternoon! This is the case on both accounts - so they are now saying that my last login was 2 days and 10 hours ago (or 2 days 8 hours for the other account) when that is definitely not the case, as they've both been logged into using the web UI several times on Monday and Tuesday.

My time zone is London aka British Summer Time aka GMT+1 (in other words UTC+1) so it's almost half past midnight on Wednesday morning now.

I've checked the login log on both accounts and they are both accurate, with plenty of entries for web logins on Monday and Tuesday. I've gone through the 'Account Problems'/ 'Verify Account' procedure and it hasn't fixed this problem.

I'm not sure how long this has been the case for - I don't recall noticing it on Monday or earlier on Tuesday.

One other thing - on one of these accounts, when I was checking messages in the main Inbox, they were being displayed with the correct time of receipt (or is it the time of being sent, I'm never sure about such things!), but there was a message in brackets saying they had been received "< 1 min ago". I didn't really test this out much on that one account, and not at all on the other, but that problem disappeared after I'd gone through the 'Verify Account' procedure (whether as a result of doing that I don't know!). I first noticed that problem on Tuesday evening though.

Anyway, is anyone else seeing this? It's not a massive issue, just a little disconcerting at first - my initial reaction was wondering whether someone had somehow hacked into my account! Thankfully that's not the case.

[Edit] ... Just tried clearing my browser's cache and then logging in again on both accounts, but they are both still exhibiting the same issue. If it helps both accounts may be on the <web7.messagingengine.com> server - I'm not sure if that's how things work though, but that's what is displayed in the headers when I just sent an email from to myself using both accounts (i.e. from account A back to account A, and from B back to B, nothing more than that).

Last edited by binary : 30 Jul 2008 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Added some more info
binary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Jul 2008, 09:03 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Same here ... and a possible cause

I see exactly the same problem with the "Last successful web login" message. Mine is stuck at Sat 26 Jul 11:26PM, which translates to Sun 27 Jul 4:26 AM GMT. This time might not be random -- Rob sent me an email about an hour before discussing problems I and others had reported concerning the Alternative Logins screen not appearing on the Options menu when using FastCheck logins. He was discussing possible problems with sessions generated by SOAP vs web sessions. So maybe while troubleshooting he did something which stopped the last web login display from updating the login timestamps.

But the "<1 min ago" message is normal. Send yourself an email and notice that you get this special label in the Date field of the View screen.

So I will send Rob and Bron a message warning them about the login timestamp issue.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2008, 08:29 PM   #3
binary

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
I see exactly the same problem with the "Last successful web login" message. Mine is stuck at Sat 26 Jul 11:26PM, which translates to Sun 27 Jul 4:26 AM GMT. This time might not be random -- Rob sent me an email about an hour before discussing problems I and others had reported concerning the Alternative Logins screen not appearing on the Options menu when using FastCheck logins. He was discussing possible problems with sessions generated by SOAP vs web sessions. So maybe while troubleshooting he did something which stopped the last web login display from updating the login timestamps.
Whatever the problem was, everything is working fine now (on both accounts) - the "Last successful web login" messages are all displaying the right time now.

Quote:
But the "<1 min ago" message is normal. Send yourself an email and notice that you get this special label in the Date field of the View screen.
Sorry, I hadn't quite made myself clear on that - many emails were displaying the "<1 min ago" message, and these emails had definitely been received longer than a minute ago - several hours ago in fact, so this message was displaying incorrectly. However I hadn't really tested this out before I went through the 'Verify Account' procedure, which appeared to fix it.

Quote:
So I will send Rob and Bron a message warning them about the login timestamp issue.

Bill
Thanks - perhaps they fixed it, perhaps it fixed itself! As I mentioned earlier, I was initially somewhat baffled, wondering whether my account had somehow been hacked or otherwise whether the recent login log had somehow become corrupted. Thankfully not. Anyway, all is well now!
binary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2008, 01:48 PM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Rob told me that he has now fixed this problem. After logging in to both the normal and beta sites, it looks like the last web login message is again working correctly. There was a problem which was fixed, but before you test and see some odd behavior read these details from the login log screen:
Quote:
There may be a delay of 5-10 minutes before recent logins appear in this log. Logins that come through pop/imap/smtp with the same details in quick succession may be be aggregated into one login event, in that case the Num column will be the number of logins that occured with the same details in quick succession.

Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 31 Jul 2008 at 02:03 PM.
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote