EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 19 Nov 2016, 03:28 AM   #1
pikov

Problem with Outlook Web App

The college where I have an account uses Outlook Web App with Exchange. When I send an email from my account there to an otherwise normal email address, it never arrives!

I'm thinking there's a configuration error somewhere, but I know nothing about either Outlook or Exchange.
pikov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Nov 2016, 03:54 AM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

In this case you should ask the college IT folks for help.

If you know nothing about either Outlook or Exchange (nothing be ashamed of), any "remote" advice wouldn't be of much use.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2016, 05:14 AM   #3
pikov

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
In this case you should ask the college IT folks for help.

If you know nothing about either Outlook or Exchange (nothing be ashamed of), any "remote" advice wouldn't be of much use.
I had hoped that someone might have something I could suggest to them.
Old 20 Nov 2016, 01:35 AM   #4
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Most likely your college IT has misconfigured your account. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with Outlook Web that would explain this. Another possibility is that your college's outgoing message filter is trapping your messages for some reason such as content.
As janusz advised, you should call your college's IT Help Desk.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2016, 02:13 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

If you are not receiving any non-delivery report emails and the problem is not happening with all destinations, the problem might be with the destination email account, not your account. It's possible your messages may be treated as spam. Here are things which can cause this:
  • You try to use a different From address than the normal one assigned to your email account. For example, if you try to use a Yahoo From address from your account the DMARC policy of Yahoo (which involve SPF and DKIM) might cause the destination to reject your message as spoofed.
  • Message content (including subject or message body or attachment).
  • You are using the incorrect destination email address. For example, it's common to assume the domain name of the email account ends in .com, while it might actually be .net or .edu or some other high level domain.
Bill
n5bb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2016, 02:57 AM   #6
pikov

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
If you are not receiving any non-delivery report emails and the problem is not happening with all destinations, the problem might be with the destination email account, not your account. It's possible your messages may be treated as spam. Here are things which can cause this:
  • You try to use a different From address than the normal one assigned to your email account. For example, if you try to use a Yahoo From address from your account the DMARC policy of Yahoo (which involve SPF and DKIM) might cause the destination to reject your message as spoofed.
  • Message content (including subject or message body or attachment).
  • You are using the incorrect destination email address. For example, it's common to assume the domain name of the email account ends in .com, while it might actually be .net or .edu or some other high level domain.
Bill
Nope. Wrong track. Thanks anyway.
Old 20 Nov 2016, 02:57 AM   #7
pikov

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
Most likely your college IT has misconfigured your account. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with Outlook Web that would explain this. Another possibility is that your college's outgoing message filter is trapping your messages for some reason such as content.
As janusz advised, you should call your college's IT Help Desk.
They do not work nights or weekends.
Old 20 Nov 2016, 08:32 AM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I'm still confused.
  • Do all of your outgoing emails disappear, or only those sent to one email domain or address?
  • The sent message should immediately appear in the Sent Items folder in the Outlook Mail web application. Do you see the sent message there?
  • I just sent from my Outlook Mail web account to my addresses at outlook.com, gmail.com, yahoo.com, and fastmail.com. All of these messages arrived, although Yahoo filed the message in the spam folder.
Bill
Old 20 Nov 2016, 09:00 AM   #9
pikov

Quote:
I'm still confused.
  • Do all of your outgoing emails disappear, or only those sent to one email domain or address?
  • The sent message should immediately appear in the Sent Items folder in the Outlook Mail web application. Do you see the sent message there?
  • I just sent from my Outlook Mail web account to my addresses at outlook.com, gmail.com, yahoo.com, and fastmail.com. All of these messages arrived, although Yahoo filed the message in the spam folder.
Bill
Emails to addresses beginning pjh do appear in the Sent folder.
Old 20 Nov 2016, 09:54 AM   #10
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikov View Post
Emails to addresses beginning pjh do appear in the Sent folder.
But do those emails make it to the destination? If some but not all sent messages are being delivered, it's normally due to one of:
  • Incorrect TO email address being used
  • Email being blocked (such as by too large attachment, spam filter, etc.)
  • Email showing up in the spam folder at the destination email system or email client
Bill
Old 20 Nov 2016, 11:47 AM   #11
pikov

Quote:
But do those emails make it to the destination? If some but not all sent messages are being delivered, it's normally due to one of:
  • Incorrect TO email address being used
  • Email being blocked (such as by too large attachment, spam filter, etc.)
  • Email showing up in the spam folder at the destination email system or email client
Bill
No they do not. You're on the wromg track. The most likely explanation is a misconfiguration in Outlook/Exchange.
Old 20 Nov 2016, 04:20 PM   #12
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I know nothing about either Outlook or Exchange.
Quote:
The most likely explanation is a misconfiguration in Outlook/Exchange.
'nuff said....
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2016, 04:50 PM   #13
pikov

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
'nuff said....
Agreed. [extra characters required by forum software]