EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 29 Jun 2014, 05:16 AM   #1
emailer84

Using "custom addresses" in new UI

I was wondering whether there was a way to use “custom addresses“ with the new UI. It works in the classic one, but I can’t find the option in the new UI.

By custom addresses, I mean something like 123@user.fastmail.fm

For example, if I receive an email at 123@user.fastmail.fm, and that this isn’t a registered personality, in the classic interface, I could reply from 123@user.fastmail.fm. This doesn’t seem to be the case in the new UI.

Is the fact that this is not in the new UI an indication that FM may stop supporting this very useful feature?

Thanks
emailer84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Jun 2014, 05:31 AM   #2
qwertz123456
Essential Contributor

I want that as well! One of the best features in the classic UI. If you have a custom domain and have catch all you can create new email addresses on the fly. Very useful.
qwertz123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2014, 01:37 PM   #3
odedp
Master of the @

Why wonder???
This isn't the only good feature from the classic interface missing in the new one!
One possible solution (which I adopt) is continue using the classic interface

Last edited by odedp : 29 Jun 2014 at 01:53 PM.
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2014, 03:44 PM   #4
paul29

But that works, I think. Try *@username.fastmail.fm on the aliases screen.
paul29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2014, 07:00 PM   #5
emailer84

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedp View Post
Why wonder???
This isn't the only good feature from the classic interface missing in the new one!
One possible solution (which I adopt) is continue using the classic interface
I use the classic one too. One day, the classic interface will disappear, I just wonder whether this feature will be added to the new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul29 View Post
But that works, I think. Try *@username.fastmail.fm on the aliases screen.
Can you please elaborate on this? Are you saying that adding *@user.fastmail.fm as an alias will allow replies from any custom address? How would one compose an email from a custom address too?

Thanks
Old 29 Jun 2014, 07:15 PM   #6
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailer84 View Post
I use the classic one too. One day, the classic interface will disappear
Yes, and that will be the day when I'll disapper (from Fastmail) too...
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2014, 10:25 PM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Setting up personality for use with subdomain address

Quote:
I was wondering whether there was a way to use “custom addresses“ with the new UI. It works in the classic one, but I can’t find the option in the new UI...
The earlier suggestion of using a wildcard on the Aliases screen won't work. The Aliases screen is used for controlling which aliases are active for your account and how mail is delivered to those aliases. You are instead asking about the Compose screen for creating a new message, and that requires setup in the Personalities screen and the When replying setup screen. The current interface has full support for automatic reply address generation, so you don't have to manually create the From address when replying!

You can do this with the current user interface with wildcard personalities:
  • Create a personality in Advanced>Personalities with an address of *@user.fastmail.fm
  • See Fastmail Personalities help (second bullet point)
  • On the Settings>Preferences>Writing>When replying screen select Reply from the same account the message was sent to
  • You will then be able to choose the wildcard personality at the top of the Compose screen, which allows you to edit the From email address as you wish. But you probably won't need to enter a custom address very often, since after these changes the From address when you reply will automatically be set to the proper subdomain address used by the sender!
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2014, 04:03 AM   #8
emailer84

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
The earlier suggestion of using a wildcard on the Aliases screen won't work. The Aliases screen is used for controlling which aliases are active for your account and how mail is delivered to those aliases. You are instead asking about the Compose screen for creating a new message, and that requires setup in the Personalities screen and the When replying setup screen. The current interface has full support for automatic reply address generation, so you don't have to manually create the From address when replying!

You can do this with the current user interface with wildcard personalities:
  • Create a personality in Advanced>Personalities with an address of *@user.fastmail.fm
  • See Fastmail Personalities help (second bullet point)
  • On the Settings>Preferences>Writing>When replying screen select Reply from the same account the message was sent to
  • You will then be able to choose the wildcard personality at the top of the Compose screen, which allows you to edit the From email address as you wish. But you probably won't need to enter a custom address very often, since after these changes the From address when you reply will automatically be set to the proper subdomain address used by the sender!
Bill
Bill, Thanks a lot! That is super useful! No need for the classic interface.
This isn't the same feature as email reflecting, which FM stopped supporting, is it?

Only two niggles I have:

- Unfortunately, this doesn't work when replying from an IMAP client (Apple Mail in my case).
- When composing, the default email that's displayed in the from field is "myfmloginusername@fastmail.fm", I'd much rather have something else displayed rather than my fm login name as I only use it for log in. Is there any way to have it display another username by default such as "defaultusername@fastmail.fm", where I can change "defaultusername" or even [blank]@fastmail.fm, which would remind me that I need to enter something before the "@"?

Thanks again
Old 30 Jun 2014, 04:15 AM   #9
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
). When composing, the default email that's displayed in the from field is "myfmloginusername@fastmail.fm", I'd much rather have something else displayed rather than my fm login name
The default outgoing address is defined in Personalities.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2014, 06:58 AM   #10
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Bill, Thanks a lot! That is super useful! No need for the classic interface.
This isn't the same feature as email reflecting, which FM stopped supporting, is it?...
No, it has nothing to do with the discontinued email reflector, which involved using an email client (not the Fastmail web interface) at work.
Quote:
- Unfortunately, this doesn't work when replying from an IMAP client (Apple Mail in my case).
You have a choice when sending a message on whether to use an email client or the Fastmail website to create the message. The system you use controls how an email is addressed. So Fastmail has no control how Apple Mail creates the From address in your reply to a message. The only things that Fastmail can do are based on the From address matching a Fastmail Personality and the settings you have made for that personality. If your email client doesn't set the From address properly, Fastmail has no choice but to send emails as specified when using their SMTP.
Quote:
- When composing, the default email that's displayed in the from field is "myfmloginusername@fastmail.fm", I'd much rather have something else displayed rather than my fm login name as I only use it for log in. Is there any way to have it display another username by default such as "defaultusername@fastmail.fm", where I can change "defaultusername" or even [blank]@fastmail.fm, which would remind me that I need to enter something before the "@"?
The Advanced>Personalities screen controls the default settings controlling how messages are created and sent. You can specify a certain personality which is used by default on the Compose screen. You can only do this when the address does not contain a wildcard. Choose a certain personality and use the Make default Personality button in the upper right.

I don't think there is a way to remind yourself to enter a specific address when starting a new message in the Compose screen. As I said, the replies can be made automatic (from the subdomain address which was used in the message sent to you).

Bill
Old 1 Jul 2014, 03:27 AM   #11
emailer84

Thanks Bill,

I changed the part of the address before the @ in my default personality, and it's now displayed for the others, meaning that it doesn't display my login username.

Thanks again.
Old 1 Jul 2014, 08:26 AM   #12
qwertz123456
Essential Contributor

But this unfortunately does not work with a custom domain At least not in the new UI.
Old 1 Jul 2014, 10:46 AM   #13
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Works properly for virtual or Fastmail subdomains

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertz123456 View Post
But this unfortunately does not work with a custom domain...
What exactly does not work for you? Assuming you mean use of a (your own) virtual domain:
  • You can create a default personality for any address, including one at my virtual domain.
  • You can create a wildcard personality for a virtual subdomain (such as *@sub.mydomain.xxx) and messages sent to any alias at that subdomain are delivered to the proper folder.
  • Replying to such a message at a virtual subdomain works just as I described earlier. The From address is automatically set the same as the original delivery address, even though it's an on-the-fly address (anything@sub.mydoman.xxx).
  • I just tried all of these and they worked fine. You need to set things up as I described in my earlier posts in this thread.
Bill
Old 2 Jul 2014, 10:47 PM   #14
qwertz123456
Essential Contributor

I've have setup a virtual domain. But when you use the new UI and compose a new message, you can't create a new email address for the that domain even if you have a wildcard. The To-field does not have a edit button.
Old 2 Jul 2014, 11:43 PM   #15
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Do you mean the FROM field? I have a personality that is *@mydomain -- when I compose a message and select it, I have the option to enter an address in the FROM field.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote