EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 16 Mar 2018, 05:49 AM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Latest update of Windows 10 left me with some questions

Recently a very large update of Windows 10 occurred (not the short updates that appear regularly and take just a few minutes, this one took nearly an hour).

I don't seem to have lost a single file, but some other weird things happened, including email related:

* previously I had my Outlook.com email in Windows Live Mail, showing the emails (received and sent) of the last 30 days. I was used to the program with all its simplicity, and for older emails I had to check the webmail version of my email. However, the icon for this email client appeared to be gone after the update. I hence thought I had no other choice than to install Outlook 2016 as email client. Which I did. About half an hour later though, the Windows Live Mail icon was back.

So now I have my outlook.com emails in two different email clients: Windows Live Mail, and Outlook 2016. And of course I can check the same emails in webmail. I suppose to have it in two email clients on the same computer, while being a bit pointless, also cannot do harm?
I did two tests: sending an email, and deleting another email. Then I went to the other mail client and the sent mail showed there too, and the deleted email disappeared too the instant I opened the mail client. So it seems to synchronise properly. So I would guess the two mail clients on the same computer are just a bit unhandy, but no danger to the well-functioning and security of my outlook.com email account?

* The Windows Live Mail client shows all mails (received and sent) of the last 30 days. The Outlook2016 client shows all mails (received and sent) from the last 365 days. In terms of that, it's an improvement.
However, my outlook.com account is more than 3 years old and I would like to have ALL stored emails (sent and received) in my mail client, instead of having to use the webmail version each time I want to check an older email.
Does anyone know how to set up either Windows Live Mail or Outlook2016 in order to display ALL emails sent and received since the creation of the email acccount? I checked settings of Outlook2016 and couldn't find it ; previously (before the Windows10 update) I had already checked the settings of Windows Live Mail and also couldn't trace the option.

* one side question that is not email related: when opening my browser of choice (MS Edge) the list of visited websites (browsing history) prior to the Windows10 update, was gone. As if I never visited any website before. That in itself isn't bothering me. However, normally I had to just type the first characters of a webpage I saved as in my Favourites, and the browser URL bar would autocomplete the URL. This doesn't function anymore, even though my Favourites aren't lost: when going to the list of Favourites, they're all still there (in their specific folders, eg a folder with sports related websites I marked as a Favourite, a folder for travel related websites I marked as Favourites, ...). So the Favourites aren't gone.
How can I make my browser autocomplete the favourites' URLs again when I type the first 6 or 7 characters? (this worked perfectly prior to the Windows10 update)

In a way this update stressed me a bit, I used all my programs I need frequently in such routine it didn't require any thinking. Now suddenly I'm having my outlook.com account in two mail clients, my Microsoft Edge browser is acting weird, and when opening a picture a popup suddenly asked which program I wanted to use for opening pictures (I think the one I was used to prior to the update was Photo rather than Microsoft Image Viewer, but I'm not sure) and for opening videos I shot with my smartphone (I think it used to be Windows Media Player prior to the update, but I'm not sure neither...).

Updating is good and it's nice to have the most recent software, but this update did confuse me a bit ... If something ain't broken, no need to try to fix it.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Mar 2018, 06:11 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

I don't believe there is any worry about losing any emails if you are seeing in multiple places. I am currently using Outlook.com and the Windows 10 app and seeing the same emails. In the W10 app go to the left navigation pane, and way down at the bottom is a gear wheel for settings. In the settings you can go to Manage Accounts, choose the account, then Change Mailbox Sync Settings. I have chosen Download Email from "any time" and I can search for and find emails back to when the account was created. Personally, I prefer the Outlook.com web interface to Outlook 2016 installed, and I access emails that way. There are both new and old interfaces for Outlook.com. In the upper right on a blue bar I see "Try the beta." The beta is nice looking, but lacks some of the functionality of the older version and some of the available settings. You should be able to still enter "outlook.com" in your Edge browser and go to your web-based Outlook.com email. Just bookmark it.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2018, 08:06 AM   #3
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
* previously I had my Outlook.com email in Windows Live Mail, showing the emails (received and sent) of the last 30 days. I was used to the program with all its simplicity, and for older emails I had to check the webmail version of my email. However, the icon for this email client appeared to be gone after the update. I hence thought I had no other choice than to install Outlook 2016 as email client. Which I did. About half an hour later though, the Windows Live Mail icon was back.
Windows Live Mail? I thought it was discontinued a year ago.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live_Mail
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2018, 01:15 PM   #4
EricG
Essential Contributor

Windows Live Mail has not been updated in years. I thought hotmail/outlook support was dropped two years ago.

Windows 10 has always had a mail app, why don't you use it?
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2018, 10:26 PM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

By the way, just yesterday I tried to use the Edge browser again since it does have a nice interface and some useful functionality. But, once again I have found that certain basic things don't work properly making me give up on using it on a daily basis. I wanted to import my Bookmarks from Chrome, but in the list of available options to import from Chrome wasn't there--only Internet Explorer, which I haven't used in years and didn't have any bookmarks. I searched online, found a variety of workarounds, spent an hour or two trying them all, and found none of them worked. So, then I downloaded all the bookmarks from Chrome, then reuploaded them to Edge. The bookmarks were there, but required some sorting and organizing, but when I tried to do that things became corrupted and several important ones disappeared. Others appeared in the list overwritten over the top of other bookmarks so they were unreadable. At that point I gave up after wasting several hours of my life trying to make Edge function like a modern browser should.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2018, 01:26 AM   #6
lane
Cornerstone of the Community

Tsunami:

Windows Live Mail is no longer supported by Microsoft, but if you have an existing copy, it should continue to work OK.

Outlook.com used to use a special protocol (DeltaSync) to communicate with Windows Live Mail, which allowed synchronization of calendar and contacts in addition to email. This protocol was discontinued at the Outlook.com end on June 30, 2016. However, if such an account is removed from Windows Live Mail and reconstructed as an IMAP (or POP) account, it will continue to work just fine, but for email only (not calendar and contacts). It appears you must have your account configured as IMAP, as it continues to work fine with Windows Live Mail.

I do not know why Windows Live Mail might synchronize only a month of email, and I don't know how to change that. But here is how to change it for Outlook 2016. Click on "File", and then in the right hand panel which opens, click "Account Settings" and choose "Account Settings" (yes, again) in the drop-down menu. Click on your account in the list of accounts (perhaps there is only one), and then click "Change". Under "Offline Settings", "Use Cached Exchange Mode" should be checked and adjust the slider to keep "All" mail offline. Click "Next" etc. to make the change.

Good luck.
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2018, 04:33 AM   #7
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Thumbs up

OK, some updates:

- I confused Windows Live Mail with the app Mail. So the email is in fact in Windows Mail, and in MS Outlook 2016, plus of course the webmail version (which I quite like by the way)

- I rang the Microsoft helpdesk to get further info. It was a tough search for the right phone number, but... once I finally ended up with a staffmember on the phone, this person helped me out with very patient and clear answers + an email with screenshots on how to proceed. I realise that it is often hard to reach the helpdesk of a giant player such as Microsoft, Gmail, Yahoo, ... which makes the way this support staffmember helped me even better. Kudos to them I have to say

(sidenote: I am a paid customer since I pay my license of Microsoft Office, so in a way I shouldn't see it as a surprise to get a decent helpdesk advise. However, paid customer or not, it's still not a given to get such quality help from a player with so many customers)
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote