EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 Aug 2004, 02:29 PM   #1
dpolley

Larger storage

I would have thought that fastmail could have been a little more generous with their "paying member" status accounts and given a little extra storage (say 50 MB) as all the other email companies such as hotmail,yahoo,google,Gawab and others are all giving extremely large accounts now "free" to their non-paying members.

"Come on Fastmail" your service and email system is one of the best so, have a re think on this one.
dpolley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Aug 2004, 03:38 PM   #2
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

FM has already announced its moves on this:

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...threadid=24946
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2004, 07:06 PM   #3
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Fastmail concentrates on Quality over Quantity, and the increases they have announced have made most of us quite happy.

You are welcome to have the free accounts from the other providers, I most certainly do! I also have 4 member accounts and 1 Full account with Fastmail though, and it is the only email that I fully rely on for my most important mails!! It is simply the best email service IMO!!

Susan.
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2004, 09:40 PM   #4
zunstone

welcome Dpolley,

hereĀ“s a more detailed rundown of the changes along with a FAQ:
http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/newquotas.html
zunstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2004, 10:04 PM   #5
ewal
Master of the @

Does anyone know if the bandwidth allowances for File storage has also been increased?

Just curious as I hardly ever come near to using my bandwidth allowances.

Edward
ewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2004, 11:11 PM   #6
landale

I think he means an increase in storage for member accounts. , and in response to that I'd say it would have been nice for fastmail to have done something for member accounts. I used to be have a member account but upgraded to full after it became apparent that member was really only meant as a way to sample all of the features you get with fastmail like subdomain addressing, aliases, sieve, smtp, etc.. What members will get is the ability to use their member fee to upgrade to full, which is a really great deal, and if you really need extra storage you can still add 50MB of storage to your member account for a onetime fee of $13.
landale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2004, 06:13 AM   #7
btbeesley

Quote:
Originally posted by landale
I think he means an increase in storage for member accounts. , and in response to that I'd say it would have been nice for fastmail to have done something for member accounts. I used to be have a member account but upgraded to full after it became apparent that member was really only meant as a way to sample all of the features you get with fastmail like subdomain addressing, aliases, sieve, smtp, etc.. What members will get is the ability to use their member fee to upgrade to full, which is a really great deal, and if you really need extra storage you can still add 50MB of storage to your member account for a onetime fee of $13.

whereabouts do I find the one-time payment for an additional 50MB of storage, and is that forever?

It may be the only way that I'll be satisfied.....

I agree with the original post....i think that Fastmail could have increased the Member account to 40 or 50MB and made those of us who don't have the needs of Full and Enhanced users but still want quality email service and are willing to pay a little for it.

I used to tell all my friends about the one-time and all the pluses that made it a worthwhile expense....leaving the mail storage quota at 16MB won't invite too many new people to "give it a shot" so to speak for that one-time fee.

Not everybody wants to pay annual fees for more than they need, but are willing to pay one-time fees for something solid yet not out of this world....and isn't that how people get into Fastmail in the beginning and eventually move up the chain???

guess I see the bait being less inviting for the future users...........
btbeesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2004, 06:16 AM   #8
Alicia

Quote:
Originally posted by btbeesley
whereabouts do I find the one-time payment for an additional 50MB of storage, and is that forever?
Log into your account, go to Options...Purchase Additional Space. Yes, it is forever, as far as I know. Also, I would wait until September, they are supposed to be changing the prices.
Alicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2004, 06:17 AM   #9
landale

information on storage upgrades are in the purchase more storage space in the options section. one time fee for strorage upgrades have always been the case for fastmail, although it does seem like this will change with the new storage quotas, so buy your extra storage now.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 06:17 AM   #10
btbeesley

"Buy Mailbox / File Storage Space
Help

You may not purchase additional file storage space at your current service level. Only the following service levels may purchase additional file storage space:" Full, Enhanced

Looks like that's not even an option...................

Jeremy, if you're listening............I'd be willing to buy more space as a Member for a one-time fee........
Old 17 Aug 2004, 06:19 AM   #11
Alicia

Reread that, that is talking about FILE space. You are talking about email space, correct? Two different things.
Alicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2004, 06:42 AM   #12
btbeesley

thanks

thanks for your keen eye Alicia....I am a happy camper now........and always read the details...............
Old 18 Aug 2004, 05:49 AM   #13
fiendicus

Yes larger storage

I do think that member accounts should get a little something (e.g. 40MB email space), as has already been said - it will be impossible to persuade anyone else I know to use Fastmail with just a 16MB inbox when others (will?) have so much more.

Aswell as this maybe fastmail could increase the new member cost to $20 or something and give more storage as standard, say 100MB? Obviously for existing members, like myself, this wouldn't apply unless we paid the difference.

Fiendicus
fiendicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2004, 05:57 AM   #14
landale

I don't get that, if you're willing to pay $5 more why not just pay a few dollars more and pay the one time fee for a storage upgrade? I still think in terms of what to do with the member plan would be to create some kind of hybrid plan where you can get the current member plan for the one time $15 fee and then have something like a member plus option where you can pay $5 a year for something like 50MB of email storage, 100MB of bandwidth, and 5MB of file storage and maybe an extra personality or two. that way fastmail has a constant source of revenue instead of just a one time fee.
Old 18 Aug 2004, 06:09 AM   #15
Chipper
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by SusanUKF
Fastmail concentrates on Quality over Quantity, and the increases they have announced have made most of us quite happy.

You are welcome to have the free accounts from the other providers, I most certainly do! I also have 4 member accounts and 1 Full account with Fastmail though, and it is the only email that I fully rely on for my most important mails!! It is simply the best email service IMO!!

Susan.
Susan -- if you were to combine all those accounts into one Enhanced account, you would also be concentrating on Quality over Quantity.
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote