EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 Oct 2002, 02:47 PM   #16
isobel

Oh Dear...

I guess it's down again. :-(
isobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Oct 2002, 02:51 PM   #17
steve.nz

Now you have me really confused - especially with al these different time zones. It's 5.52 pm New Zealand time, and I can't get to the Fastmail logon page. Have I missed something here?
steve.nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Oct 2002, 02:54 PM   #18
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

It's down again.

It'll be 5-10 minutes. I've got some ideas about stuff to keep it up until the new hardware is in place...
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Oct 2002, 02:54 PM   #19
isobel

Quote:
Originally posted by steve.nz
Now you have me really confused - especially with al these different time zones. It's 5.52 pm New Zealand time, and I can't get to the Fastmail logon page. Have I missed something here?
You haven't missed anything. It was down, then came back up for a while and now Fastmail is down again. I am sure that that Jeremy and Rob are working hard to fix whatever the problem is.
isobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Oct 2002, 03:11 PM   #20
mailmaniac
Essential Contributor

The problem I have here in Germany is with the SMTP through Outlook Express. I cannot send messages. But I did receive one at 7:34 (CET). SMTP, though, still doesn't work.

Andrea
mailmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Oct 2002, 03:18 PM   #21
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

It's just rebooting now...
Old 1 Oct 2002, 03:43 PM   #22
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Everything looks to be fine now. We'll see what we can find from the logs...
Old 1 Oct 2002, 03:55 PM   #23
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

OK, the stop was caused by a failed assertion in our file system (EXT3). It turns out the the assertion points to some hard drive problems, but can safely be ignored and does not lead to a stop condition in the latest Linux kernel.

I'm going to organise to upgrade the kernel in the next few hours. I'm hoping that this will give us a few days' breathing room. Obviously this hard drive is on its last legs though, so we'll be moving to a new server as soon as we can get it installed.
Old 2 Oct 2002, 02:26 AM   #24
kander
The "e" in e-mail

/me starts chanting and praying to keep the server up.

Jeremy, once again I have to say it's great that you people are so open about this. I have said so before, and I will say it again so you won't forget. This is what makes me stick to Fastmail even closer

BTW: I haven't read anything about it on the Forums, but when I logged into my account approximately eight hours ago there was this message in the top of my account announcing that the server would be down in approx. 49 minutes (decreasing as time went on). I just wanted to give you even more compliments as I thought this was a very nice and polite way of letting me, the user, know downtime was about to happen.

Keep up the near-perfect work,

==K==
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Oct 2002, 06:45 AM   #25
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Thanks Kander--it's a great way to start the day to read such nice things!

The scheduled reboot was mentioned here: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...&threadid=7983
Old 3 Oct 2002, 02:12 AM   #26
suprex7

Only problem I've EVER had with fastmail was the earlier downtime I commented on. I checked my mail in the last minute of it, because I was able to log in shortly afterwards.

It's been the fastest, most consistent, and definitely the most convienient email service I've tried yet. I've tried MANY and plan on sticking with this one.

I know this isn't the proper thread for this comment but I felt I should give you guys the thumbs up on what you're doing, I appreciate it, as do many others I'm sure. When I can afford to(wallet's pretty skinny), I will definitely be upgrading my service status!

Thanks,
Justin
[Admin: please don't post your email in signing off your posts... you run the risk of having it picked up by spambots!]
suprex7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2002, 10:51 PM   #27
mishkan

All of a sudden, I can't send emails with my FastMail account... is the server having any problem? Or is it on my end?

Thanks in advance.
mishkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2002, 10:55 PM   #28
DBH

Seems ok on my end...I just sent myself an e-mail and received it with no problems, however, the interface is a little slow.

Dave
DBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2002, 10:59 PM   #29
psalzer

Sent an e-mail from my Fastmail account to my work account and got it right away. Not having interface problems on this end, although earlier it seemed a tiny bit slower than usual.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote