EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Jan 2004, 07:59 AM   #31
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Gankaku
Kander has my two thumbs up.

Mine also !

James.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2004, 08:02 AM   #32
camner

And mine as well!
camner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2004, 08:17 AM   #33
Chipper
Master of the @

Couple of things:

1) I liked Diane's story as well. There was a couple in a church I used to attend when I was a starving college student who used to invite me to dinner at their house and/or include me when they went out to dineer. I could never repay their generosity, but I have tried to pass what they did for me on to others.

2) I would also vote for kander.
* My only question: Is there anything about the project that would make you feel uncomfortable about taking it on -- particularly with respect to youth/inexperience? (I'm just recalling your "you being an adult" post earlier in this thread.) I have been in situations where I was the logical choice for something despite my youth/inexperience and I would want to avoid you from having the "baptism by fire" that I did! And... if you have any questions/qualms, how can we help?

Last edited by Chipper : 3 Jan 2004 at 08:27 AM.
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2004, 08:29 AM   #34
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Chipper,

It was mostly the financial part I was looking up against, but as Jeremy pointed out that's really a non-issue...

One thing that crossed my mind, but doesn't really worry me, is how to respond to people who are just trying to use the project to get themselves a free account (not even sure there will actually be such cases...) and how to make the judgement of who gets one and who not. I think that's something that comes with experience, though...

About how YOU can help: Donate. It's simple as that. Also point other people at Fastmail and when they see it's power and usability, tell em there's a donation effort for people who can't afford their own account...

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2004, 08:38 AM   #35
Edwin
 Administrator 

One thing to bear in mind from my previous experience with this laudable effort is that often the donors AND the recipients want to remain anonymous. So whether it ends up being Kander or someone else taking on the management task, please assume "anonymous unless explicitly stated otherwise" i.e. please err on the side of caution at all times.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2004, 08:42 AM   #36
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Hrm, yes, I can see what you mean. Thanks for pointing it out... If I do become the person I'll definitely keep it in mind. Staying on the safe side of such.. sensitive matters is always a good idea, IMO...

--K
Old 3 Jan 2004, 08:51 AM   #37
Chipper
Master of the @

kander -

1) I have not had experience with responding to requests, although perhaps Gerry can relay his experiences. (And as you said, it may not be a problem.)

2) I will definately put forth a donating as well as word of mouth advertising about fm and hh.

- Chipper

It's 1949 my time, leaving work now. Until Mon everyone -- have a good weekend.
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2004, 10:22 AM   #38
JeffK

With respect to you all, I think you're all forgetting something here. When kander becomes Prime Minister of the Netherlands, which can't be that far away, he won't have time to do this work.

Jeff

PS I agree to let him do it until he gets elected.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2004, 10:39 AM   #39
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Many thanks for your confidence, all...

*big grin @ Jeff: I think I'll be able to squeeze this in between Minister-council meetings and cutting ribbons*
Old 3 Jan 2004, 10:49 AM   #40
DianeB

Thanks to each of you that enjoyed my story. I 'almost' didn't post it, as I wasn't sure how it would be taken, with me being a newbie & making such a long story here. But point is, as quite a few have said, we DO become much more in tune with our online friends, than some that are in our day to day life. And my story certainly proves that online friendships are as real as real can be. These folks reached out to help me, when not a soul in my so called 'real world' did a thing.

BLESSINGS TO OUR INTERNET FRIENDS, BOTH NEAR & FAR !!

Just from what I've seen here, if I were asked, I'd vote for kander myself !

Not to slight anyone else though, as I mentioned before, this forum is the main thing that swayed me to FM from the get go.

People helping people, friends helping friends. Now 'Helping Hands' reaching out to help strangers in need. *MY* kind of folks!!

Diane
DianeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2004, 02:13 PM   #41
jolycu

An example of the Helping Hands program

Last summer there was a Helping Hands donation drive for some disadvantaged kids in Miami. You can read about it
here I donated to this effort and others for Fastmail accounts and it felt very good to be able to help. If I remember correctly, Gerry would send an email to you when you made the donation and ask if you wanted to be anonymous or let the receipients contact you. I received Thank-you emails from everyone who was helped. This is a great program and I will donate again when it is set up.
jolycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2004, 03:32 PM   #42
JeffK

jolycu, are you Joyce?
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2004, 04:09 PM   #43
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

I am just reading all this tonight(well,it is 3am Friday night,technically Saturday morning for me,an I couldn't sleep,so decided to check out the forum,and am moved by the compassion and caring on the board and Dianne's story as well,Kander has already been an amazing help to myself and my son,I vote for him,as Jeremy has said one person is preferable to head things up.If all the members can donate even $5.00 each yearly to this cause we could help so many others,WOW!! I have never quite figured out this whole paypal thing,as anything(including my fastmail membership)I have bought with a credit card,but I am sure all this can be worked out...I am sure most people would want to help,we could all help,what a great idea.People over the internet are very real,I know what Dianne means,my mother is very internet-paranoid and feels that everyone on the net lies about themselves...I guess it depends which forum and what type of boards one is visiting,and one must be cautious,to be sure,but compassion and caring are never out of style.This is wonderful!!It is so great you have picked up the torch,Kander!! Susan.
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2004, 04:48 PM   #44

I think that this is a good idea, as several members have stated
Old 3 Jan 2004, 09:28 PM   #45
jolycu

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffK
jolycu, are you Joyce?
Yes
jolycu is offline   Reply With Quote