EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 13 Jan 2004, 03:14 AM   #1
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches...

Silly post in a way,I suppose but I thought of it at luch time today while feeding the to my children.My kids love them,and a lot of my friend's children do as well...I was wondering if this was mostly a North American phenomenon or was it a universal favourite of children??What about Kraft Dinner? another favourite of a lof of children in N.A.??Susan.
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Jan 2004, 03:25 AM   #2
dragon1
Cornerstone of the Community

I don't know about children, but I still eat PB&J sandwiches every now and then. Chunky peanut butter is the best!

Some kids (and adults) are allergic to peanuts, so that might not be too "universal."

Kraft dinners, like in macaroni & "cheese?" Only while camping. Otherwise, don't touch that stuff.
dragon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2004, 03:30 AM   #3
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

I know what you mean dragon1,about the allergies...our boys like to come home for lunch as the school is peanut free,because of children's allergies.It seems a lot of people ahve this allergy nowadays-- I don't remember anyone having this allergy when I was a child,perhaps we jsut didn;t know about it back then... Susan.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 04:29 AM   #4
Gankaku

Susan, yes that IS kind of an amazing phenomenon, isn't it? I'd never heard of anyone being allergic to nuts until most recently (10 years ago?) That makes you wonder, were that many people allergic all along and we just didn't know about it? Or is it the overload of garbage in the environment making kids and adults more sensitive? I tend to think it's more the latter.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2004, 04:44 AM   #5
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Yes,Lisa,I think you are right.Do you have kids?Do they like PB and J?? Susan.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 05:42 AM   #6
Gankaku

Yes I have kids. They eat PB&J sometimes. But we love almond butter more than peanut butter. So we have almond butter on toast or bread with good quality jams. I lived on PB&J in college. It was cheap (very!), stuck to the ribs, and also gave you lots of energy, and kept the bloodsugar levels even. It's a great snack. When we do eat peanut butter, we love the natural ground (just ground peanuts!) as opposed to the jar stuff. I tried some Jif brand peanut butter last week because I ran out of almond butter. It was so sweet and had a nasty taste. Blech.

We hate the Kraft cheesy things. We're not big on cheese. I notice I have problems if I eat too much cheese or milk products (stuffiness, clogged sinuses). But we love pasta. I made a TON of pasta yesterday. It was supposed to last for lunches today. But no, it was finished before dinner last night! So I had to make something else for lunch today.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 05:47 AM   #7
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

I read your profile and noticed you are very health-conscience,that is wonderful We are getting a lot healthier in our house too...I have lost 95 pounds and my hubby has lost 25 and we all eat healthier,we decided to get rid of a lot of bad foods....the children still managed to get lots of sweets and chocolates for Christmas ofcourse...but in general we are eating a lot better.It feels goo,I have combined a lot of exercise with this as well.I feel so much healthier!! It is great!! Susan.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 06:08 AM   #8
kander
The "e" in e-mail

PB&J Sandwiches: I tried them once, after I read about them. I don't really know what to say, apart from that I didn't like them. And that's understating... Perhaps I made them the wrong way, as we don't really have them here so I just figured I'd try what I think they're like. One breadslice with butter+peanutbutter, one slice with butter+jam, smash em together, rub it together a bit, eat. It tasted horrible...

Kraft: No idea what that is... we do eat a lot of pasta in my house, and I love it. It's great stuff to freeze in and have something in case my parents are late from work, so we still have a fairly decent meal...

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2004, 06:30 AM   #9
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Hi Kander!! We put peanut butter on one side and jam on the other and put it together,I never use any other spreads...the other thing,Kraft is macaroni and cheese in a box,the children like it covered in ketchup!!This is quite popular,especially amongst younger children,pasta dishes are great,I agree with yourself and Lisa on that one!! Susan.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 06:36 AM   #10
Gankaku

I put peanut butter on both sides, jelly on both sides. Smash 'em together.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 11:59 AM   #11
cheerful

i could'nt resist reply-ing to your post although i'm getting on in years i'm still a big kid at heart and i love using a sandwhich toaster to make toasted ham and creamed corn toasties with curry butter. real easy on week-ends
cheerful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2004, 06:36 PM   #12
mammaduck
Cornerstone of the Community

My kids used to love PBJ sandwiches when we lived in the US. Here they don't eat them much, maybe because the peanutbutter tastes a bit different.

I always disliked the Kraft macaroni and cheese but once again the kids loved it. I found a store here in Holland about 45 minutes away where they actually sell Kraft m&c (for the ridiculous price of 8 dollar a box) and every now and then (not too often for that price) we go and get a box or two. The same store also sells Reese's Peanutbutter cups.... I used to be addicted to them, so I gladly pay the 6 dollars for a bag ... which I hide for the kids because they are mine.... all mine

Hanneke
mammaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2004, 08:18 PM   #13
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Haha!!! Perhaps the fact that the peanut butter tastes different in that area of the planet could be why Kander didn't like the PB&J sandwich he made himself...plus the fact that he put butter on the bread as well...I have never done that myself...just the peanut butter and jelly...this only works well with darker jellies...ie: grape,strawberry,raspberry and blueberry I feel are the best for this purpose.Our children prefer my homemade flavours of the above.I also make plum jelly and crabtree-apple and cherry jelly mixed together and they don't care for that;(not mixed with peanut butter,they like it on muffins or on toast by itself),perhaps the type of jelly you used played a factor here as well Kander.

Kraft Dinner is up to about 89 cents a box here now,and I thought that was expensive!!!A grocery store in the city had the no-name type on special 3/$1 a little while ago and we bought 90 boxes...with five kids and my hubby eating it I cook 3 boxes at a time...at the price you paid,mammaduck,I would be in big trouble!!!The dollarama store(everything is $1,some things are 2 or 3 for $1...I love it,sells chocolate bars,the regular size, 2 for $1...wow!!North American imports are expensive over there!!!

It is so interesting to hear people here talking about their area of the globe...I love the diversity on the board,it is great!! Susan.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 09:26 AM   #14
psalzer

North American imports are expensive and we have a massive trade imbalance to prove it. Nonetheless, with Kraft mac and cheese, I think it's well worth it to go the extra buck for the deluxe dinner, mix it together and then bake it for a bit. Almost like mom used to make when she had time to do it from scratch.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2004, 09:39 AM   #15
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

I will have to try that...I have never baked it in the oven...thanks the tip psalzer!! I would never have thought to do that...I will try that! Susan.