EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 18 Jun 2020, 08:31 PM   #1
ulmus
Essential Contributor

Different rules?

When i want to create rule i have option "From", but some rules has "From email address...".
When i want to edit older rules, i have sometimes visible only conditions and button "continue", but some rules has all "then" properties...
What is going on? I cannot understand ...
ulmus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Jun 2020, 02:17 AM   #2
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

When creating a new rule in the UI just click the "switch to no-preview rules" and you can then create a rule with the full set of conditions like you used to. Rules that you already had are considered created under the "no-preview" mode so editing should the way it was before (i.e., you will see both the "if" and the "then").

IMO the "new" "standard" rules stuff is limited to what searches can do which IMO don't make for writing exact matches for conditions. Also if you do create a rule this way there's no way to switch it to "no preview" mode in the future. You would have to create a new "no preview" rule.

Last edited by xyzzy : 19 Jun 2020 at 02:27 AM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2020, 04:14 AM   #3
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulmus View Post
When i want to create rule i have option "From", but some rules has "From email address...".
I assume the "From" test looks at the whole of the From: header, but "From name" allows you to look at only the name part of the header, and "From address" only the this@that part. So if an email has

you could test the whole string, or just the "Fred Flintstone" part (the name) or just the "fred@rocks.com" part, I think.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote