EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 15 Jan 2020, 04:37 AM   #1
snappy

User study of new filtering & rules interface (jmap vs sieve)

Hi,

Did anyone participate in the new filtering & rules interface? What were your thoughts?

I had a chance and I'm glad I was chosen because I have some knowledge of Sieve.

So far it's looking pretty sweet. They can convert a JMAP query into a sieve filter and provide live preview!

The bad news because of the JMAP vs (traditional) sieve rules cause niggly UI/UX problems because of the overlap. They also have naming of rules to make long rules that travel over the entire page width have concise name width.

They don't distinguish jmap query rules versus sieve rules which is a bit annoying.

But it's a pleasant surprise and I'm glad they're integrating their jmap query system into their rules/filtering interface.

In the current incarnation I've rated the new filtering system as 6.5/10.0.

I hope they nail the UI/UX.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15 Jan 2020, 05:39 PM   #2
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

sounds good. Is it in the beta area / do you know how long until it is released?
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2020, 07:07 PM   #3
snappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHenderson View Post
sounds good. Is it in the beta area / do you know how long until it is released?
Yes it is in beta. No I do not know how long until released. I hope they fix the glaring issues I identified in my user study.

My biggest concern is they don't make it easy to distinguish between JMAP query rules & traditional sieve rules. I think that's at the crux of the UI change. If they get that right everything else will fall in place.

In the state I saw it in, they didn't call it a JMAP query. They also didn't impose ordering (in the UI) of how rules applied. For example the Spam protection float around. They have a blocked senders, but they were talking about a use case where user defined rules can preempt a blocked sender. I think that's a terrible idea. Either you block senders by address or domain or you don't. If you need selective blocking then that's what user rules are for.

Just some of these things that were concerning to me.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote