EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 18 Jul 2019, 07:26 AM   #1
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Recommend a free email for serious work-related mail?

I'm still having major problems posting (welcoming any suggestions for fixes), but if I can get this up...

Do you have preferences for email domain names that have nothing cute or trendy about them? I want something to use for job-related mail, and I really liked the plain rather formal name of Inbox.com, for instance. I dislike the major players, and, besides, names like Yahoo are too self-consciously cute. And I need something that doesn't require a telephone to create. The formats of Hotmail are better for me than most, but, again, the Hotmail name is too cute.

Any ideas?
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Jul 2019, 09:47 AM   #2
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Serious work-related mail? Then the best is to choose your own domain name.
Otherwise mail.com. A name that can't be argued against.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2019, 10:57 AM   #3
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
If you like the Hotmail service but not the "too cute" domain, why not sign up for an outlook.com email account? Exactly the same interface, and unlike "Hotmail" or even "Live.com" the domain comes across as professional.

Or, as said, mail.com. I don't know if the company behind mail.com is reliable and if the service is trustworthy and stable. I never tried them. But in terms of domains they have some very professional options (mail.com, email.com, I think post.com too...)
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2019, 11:08 AM   #4
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
buy a domain from gandi.net and they provide two email boxes which are pretty solid and simple to use.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2019, 07:45 PM   #5
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Make sure the free email provider doesn't append any advertising material to outgoing messages.

Getting one's own domain, from gandi or elsewhere, with associated email is a sensible solution, but strictly speaking isn't free (from $10 per annum). OTOH, if this is something related to serious work, a website in your own domain would certainly enhance your professional image.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2019, 08:56 PM   #6
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Have you considered ProtonMail?

They are quite popular now, and you could impress your potential new employer with your e-mail savviness.

Unless the free 500MB storage is insufficient for all your job related e-mails, of course.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2019, 09:21 PM   #7
TenFour
Master of the @

Personally, I would use a Gmail or Outlook.com address if it has to be free. Both are used by everyone from ordinary users to CEOs. Both are reliable and secure, which is the most important thing for a business address. You don't want a business address with a company that could close up shop overnight. If you own a domain you can send for free through Gmail, but not mass marketing emails.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2019, 12:09 AM   #8
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
you could impress your potential new employer with your e-mail savviness
Not sure that is the case here in the USA where Protonmail addresses are looked at a bit suspiciously, if the person reading it even knows what it means. I have been involved in a fair bit of hiring and I would guess that about 90% of people use an ordinary Gmail or Outlook.com address. You should avoid addresses that make you look old--like an AOL, Yahoo, or Hotmail address. A key issue is deliverability, and Gmail and Outlook.com are very good at that. Their domains will not get mass blocks by anyone or else they cut off 95% of their incoming email!
Old 19 Jul 2019, 12:58 AM   #9
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Have you considered ProtonMail?

They are quite popular now, and you could impress your potential new employer with your e-mail savviness..
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Not sure that is the case here in the USA where Protonmail addresses are looked at a bit suspiciously, if the person reading it even knows what it means.
1) Is it clear that the OP wants an address for job applications, and not for his/her own business? My reading is the latter, but of course I may be wrong.
2) Protonmail may impress internet geeks, but nobody else. I asked a few friends of mine (reasonably competent internet users, but working in various non-IT fields) about it, and the response was decisively blank in all cases. This was in Europe, may be in the USA Protonmail is a household name....
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2019, 01:08 AM   #10
TenFour
Master of the @

I agree, most people do not know what Protonmail is here in the USA. Bottom line is that for "job-related email" you should probably get yourself a domain and set up email from it. Looks much more professional and will give you much more control over such an important address. With free services you can always lose access, the service can shut down, etc., while with your own domain you can simply move to another provider if you have problems with your email. You can do it all for $50 a year or less from reliable services like Fastmail.
Old 19 Jul 2019, 05:33 AM   #11
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by webecedarian View Post
I'm still having major problems posting (welcoming any suggestions for fixes), but if I can get this up...

Do you have preferences for email domain names that have nothing cute or trendy about them? I want something to use for job-related mail, and I really liked the plain rather formal name of Inbox.com, for instance. I dislike the major players, and, besides, names like Yahoo are too self-consciously cute. And I need something that doesn't require a telephone to create. The formats of Hotmail are better for me than most, but, again, the Hotmail name is too cute.

Any ideas?
My experience says Yandex or mail.ru..both great free email providers which dont need a cellphone to sign up and are technically very advanced and certainly on pair with Gmail or Outlook (i use them privately for years now)...Since you are in the US...I probably would go for Gmail or Outlook. But I dont know if you can make a Gmail/Outlook address without a cellphone.

Avoid Yahoo/AOL at all costs...! I see some transport companies in Eastern Europe (Romania,Bulgaria etc) still using yahoo address..even is on their trucks!..looks very very Unprofesional imho.

my 2 cents.

Dutchie
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2019, 06:55 AM   #12
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Why does it matter that few people have heard of protomail? It's not as if the household names are vetting their users.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2019, 02:46 AM   #13
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie007 View Post
Avoid Yahoo/AOL at all costs...! I see some transport companies in Eastern Europe (Romania,Bulgaria etc) still using yahoo address..even is on their trucks!..looks very very Unprofesional imho.
I know several people who still use Yahoo as their main email account. They've often had that account for many years and probably just don't see the reasons to switch to another provider, having to notify their friends of the new email address, ... It's like the many people who use Hotmail already for 10+ years without ever having to change email address. That stability is probably important to them, they won't ever have to go around to notify everyone to have changed email address.

There was a time that I experimented a lot with email providers from exotic locations, just out of curiosity. Often those services were short-lived, with the hassle of losing stored emails and having to notify people that I had a new email address. Whereas my Outlook and Gmail accounts have been existing for years without any issue.

Also, if the OP is in the States, I would avoid domains with the .ru extention. I personally think it is a bit silly to let current affairs influence choice of email provider, but if the new address is for the purpose of jobhunting it is sadly enough important to keep in mind how the average person might react.
If Yandex has .com extention to choose from, it's a different issue.

You can't do wrong with Outlook.com or Gmail anyways, there's probably countless people who put such addresses on their CVs. If you run a business, an own domain is more professional. If you jobhunt, it is not necessary.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2019, 08:48 AM   #14
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Right, it’s for things like job-hunting, although I might use it for other serious mail. And, no, I don’t want my own domain for this.

I had thought of the Outlook name rather than Hotmail (I do have one with Live), but I figured I’d ask for anything not on my radar. I also have a Proton account, and I was all psyched to see what it looked like when I got it, but wasn’t particularly dazzled. I like that it’s a lesser-known name, though. I’ve never been crazy about Gmail, which proved to be a big disappointment. Besides, I try to stay away from Google (and I don’t like Bing’s connection with Hotmail, either) And I read somewhere to stay away from Yandex.

Now, Mail.com. I never thought of that. Thanks. And I’ll re-consider Outlook, I suppose. I gave up on my Fastmail when their terms changed, but maybe I should take another look. I just thought there might be wild new options unknown to me.

Thank you to all.
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2019, 09:57 AM   #15
TenFour
Master of the @

This infographic sums up the free options. https://miro.medium.com/max/1819/1*V...KOG6eh9Zw.jpeg