EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 15 Jun 2017, 02:47 PM   #436
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_devore View Post
- folder-counts (right margin aligned, (NEW/total)
You can easily see the new and total message counts in these two ways:
  1. The unread messages in each folder are always shown. Mouse-over the folder to see the total conversation count in that folder.
  2. Click the Create or edit folders link below the folder tree. You will see a list of folders with the total message count in each folder right justified. If there are unread messages in a folder, the unread count is also shown (as a bold number in parentheses).
Quote:
- Trash Folder's empty link...
A single link to empty the Trash folder is dangerous, since a single click can delete so much. There are two good ways to delete messages in your Trash folder:
  1. Set the Trash folder properties so that messages are auto-purged after some interval. I have mine set to auto-purge after 31 days. Pinned messages will not be auto-purged.
  2. Open the Trash folder. Click the checkbox at the top (which selects all messages in that folder) Then click Delete Permanently (directly above the all-folder checkbox).
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2017, 03:45 PM   #437
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

ERR THX BUT we have gone over these once or twice ALREADY..

THE work arounds DO NOT work for me...

1) the mouse over has a 1-1.25 second delay.. or so... and with almost 20 folders... that is a lot of stop and go.. every time I want to see totals..
so it does NOT work for me!

2) this option requires I load another screen every time I want to see folder mails counts...
and is only good for editing the folder settings.. so I cannot lick on one to go back to mail to read its contents....

3) Trash Empty link, !! LOL it is TWO CLICKS NOT ONE...
1 click to access the feature, which brings up the "CONFIRMATION BOX" in
the middle of the screen.. CLICK #2, to CONFIRM or CANCEL the operation!
lol so it is NO where as dangerous as you said! LOL

LOL, that way every one is happy.. those that want the features,
as well as those that don't want to see them..

The Classic UI has been perfect just the way it has been...
and the New UI not so or as much..

1) good new feature I do like is the ability to add new rules from from the read-mail pane.. instead of having to go all the way into the settings to get to it..
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2017, 05:32 PM   #438
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

I found another feature I liked in the Classic UI...
So I sent a 2nd feature request to FastMail support..
Quote:
The Classic UI separates the search results into readable chunks/groups by folder... ie
- folder name as a header/title
- horizontal rule to separate each folders results
breaking up one massive list THAT IS HARD TO READ, into manageable chunks/groups/etc
Originally pointed out in this thread:
Any way to organize search results by folders?

EDIT1:
ps: 11 DAYS TILL FastMail's Classic UI DOOMS DAY

Last edited by joe_devore : 19 Jun 2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 01:48 AM   #439
Gsptlsnz

If you want the folders to show the number of files read the old thread on the forum about how to show the file count.

It says to install the fox plugin https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/ and then go to Tools in Firefox, then Add-Ons, then Extensions, find Stylish, then edit and then paste the script below. Also give it your script name.

Click "save" then restart Firefox.

.v-FolderSource:after {
content: " " attr(title);
font-size:12pt;
}
Gsptlsnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2017, 02:11 AM   #440
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsptlsnz View Post
If you want the folders to show the number of files read the old thread on the forum about how to show the file count.

It says to install the fox plugin https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/ and then go to Tools in Firefox, then Add-Ons, then Extensions, find Stylish, then edit and then paste the script below. Also give it your script name.

Click "save" then restart Firefox.

.v-FolderSource:after {
content: " " attr(title);
font-size:12pt;
}
lol thx but good grief..

already been there done that..

it was a epic fail! lol ;p

it cluttered the UI too much
long labels
FolderName "count# messages"

so it is a long hand label, directly tacked on to the end of the folder name
CLUTTERS the folder name UI making it a huge mess..

so sorry but EPIC FAIL... lol ;p

Classic UI has it P.E.R.F.E.C.T.L.Y.
FolderName (NEW(ie. bold)/total)
and aligned to the right margin so its out of the way
keeping the UI clutter free...

of course I think the margin thing is accomplished by a css script given to me years ago...

in the FastMail FILE STORAGE:
custom-ui --> css/js(sub-folders) --> (FILES named)(tweaks.css/js)
tweaks.css
Code:
/* Show message counts */
/* Align Message totals to right Margin */
.messageTotal  { display: inline !important; }
.messageCounts { position: absolute; right: 0; }
a.empty { right: 75px !important; }
it was another of FastMail's great and NOW ABANDONED features.. in the New UI
Old 25 Jun 2017, 02:40 AM   #441
Gsptlsnz

there are no easy answers to this problem.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 04:54 AM   #442
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

If viewing the number of read and unread messages in all of your folders at one time is so critical, just open the Folders screen in another browser window, so you can view the message counts while you are doing anything else. For example, what if you want to view the folder counts while you are composing a message? You can do this with the classic interface as you are describing. To open Folders in another window in Firefox:
  • While viewing the main message screen, right-click Inbox and choose Open Link in New Window.
    • In this new window, click the Create or edit folders link at the bottom of the folder tree.
    • Resize this window. It shows all of your folders and message counts. The counts will automatically change dynamically when new messages arrive.
If that's not good enough for you, choose some other email provider. But I doubt you can find one which shows the folder counts in this way in their webmail interface, so in my humble opinion that specific feature isn't very popular.

Bill
Old 25 Jun 2017, 05:08 AM   #443
Gsptlsnz

Runbox shows the file count like Fastmail does. But it's not that big of a deal.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 06:10 AM   #444
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

It is worth mentioning that, if you are a heavy email user, some of the message counts for folders in the classic interface will tend to be out of date once the Window has been open for a while.

Frankly, I usually have a pretty good idea of the rough number of messages in my folders, and my actions have never been affected in any way by not knowing exactly how many messages there are in each folder. I do wish to be aware when new unread messages arrive in a folder. In my view, the new interface informs me of that where the old classic interface does not.

While I do not personally see counts of messages per folder as being important to be continually visible (indeed, I consider they clutter up the screen) I am not so vain as to imagine I can visualize every possible working style. If you see this as an important feature that affects your use of the mail client, perhaps you could outline how you make use of the information in your everyday email tasks. Perhaps, we can suggest a different approach once we understand where lack of knowing the exact count of messages in each folder is impacting you.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2017, 06:30 AM   #445
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
It is worth mentioning that, if you are a heavy email user, some of the message counts for folders in the classic interface will tend to be out of date once the Window has been open for a while...
That's a good point. In the current interface the folder read and unread counts update immediately (within a couple of seconds) both in the main folder display and the Folders screen. In general, the Classic displays are static and don't immediately update.

Bill
Old 25 Jun 2017, 08:44 AM   #446
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
That's a good point. In the current interface the folder read and unread counts update immediately (within a couple of seconds) both in the main folder display and the Folders screen. In general, the Classic displays are static and don't immediately update.

Bill
"static and don't immediately update."
That is irreverent in the Classic UI, because there is a "refresh" button lol
so.... I hit that a few times every so often (every minute, many many times an hour, etc)...
WHICH also serves to refresh the login token for another TWO hours..

BUT.. in the New UI.. that does method does not seem to work..
1) there is no "refresh" button to refresh with, whether its the login token or folders count(s).. I understand that counts are supposed to be updated automatically... but it doesn't seem soo too much/often.. hmm....

2) that leaves clicking on a different folder and back to Inbox,
which is what folder I leave open most often, unless I am getting a lot of replies for say (PC forums,gaming forums, etc)
however with this method... it is NOT clear if the "LOGIN TOKEN" gets refreshed at all.. because after the usual 2 hours it seems to auto-logout..

so like always, ahh lol...
1) I/WE L.O.V.E. the C.L.A.S.S.I.C. U.I.
2) LONG LIVE the Classic UI!
3) etc

EDIT/PS:
this was my 200TH POST Huwayy!!! lol

I have gone from the follow title to ..
"Senior Member" (Minimum Posts: 100)
to
"Essential Contributor" (Minimum Posts: 200)

lol it was a long time in coming

Last edited by joe_devore : 25 Jun 2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 12:54 PM   #447
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
BUT.. in the New UI.. that does method does not seem to work..
1) there is no "refresh" button to refresh with, whether its the login token or folders count(s).. I understand that counts are supposed to be updated automatically... but it doesn't seem soo too much/often.. hmm....
If you think the display is broken, and really want to force a refresh, the browser has a refresh option (even old browsers). Usually, the F5 key is the best way of achieving this. A refresh button on the page is superfluous.

However, the display in the current interface should automatically update within a couple of seconds or so of any status change. It certainly does for me. This is one of the biggest advantages of the newer interface. If it is not updating for you, you should provide details of your setup, and file a support request.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 02:15 PM   #448
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

There is a refresh button on the current Fastmail user interface. It's shown as two arrows chasing each other in a circle, and it's located where the unread message count is shown for the currently selected folder. If there is a number there, just move your mouse over the current folder in the tree and you will see the refresh button. You can also use the u (update) keyboard shortcut on a PC.

To test the user interface update, just send a message to yourself that will appear in the Inbox (or any other folder which isn't hidden). You should see it appear within a couple of seconds after you click Send. The total time for me on both my PC and iPhone (Fastmail app) between clicking Send and seeing the update is less than 2 seconds. That's using a wired, WLAN, or cellular connection.

I'm in the US (Texas), about 1500 miles (2400 km) from the main Fastmail servers in New Jersey. If you have a slow network connection to Fastmail you should expect worse performance. I often find that WiFi hotspots have very poor connection speed to any destination.

Bill
Old 25 Jun 2017, 03:19 PM   #449
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
There is a refresh button on the current Fastmail user interface. It's shown as two arrows chasing each other in a circle, and it's located where the unread message count is shown for the currently selected folder. If there is a number there, just move your mouse over the current folder in the tree and you will see the refresh button. You can also use the u (update) keyboard shortcut on a PC.

To test the user interface update, just send a message to yourself that will appear in the Inbox (or any other folder which isn't hidden). You should see it appear within a couple of seconds after you click Send. The total time for me on both my PC and iPhone (Fastmail app) between clicking Send and seeing the update is less than 2 seconds. That's using a wired, WLAN, or cellular connection.

I'm in the US (Texas), about 1500 miles (2400 km) from the main Fastmail servers in New Jersey. If you have a slow network connection to Fastmail you should expect worse performance. I often find that WiFi hotspots have very poor connection speed to any destination.

Bill
oooohh "u" huh lol nice...

as my location says "USA (New Hampshire)" I'm much closer to the servers so I don't usually get any lag...

but does either the "circular-arrows" or "u" shortcut.. REFRESH the login token for another 2 hours??!! ahh hah? so yeah... lol ;p
Old 25 Jun 2017, 10:11 PM   #450
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
but does either the "circular-arrows" or "u" shortcut.. REFRESH the login token for another 2 hours?
Yes, it does. Further, if you do not want your session to ever timeout, click "keep me logged in" on the login screen. Then you do not need to be concerned about your session timing out. [Technically, your session could still time out if there is no activity for 30 days, but I assume you will have some kind of email activity in that kind of timescale.]