EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 21 Mar 2002, 06:38 PM   #16
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Thank heavens. Thanks so much Pobelly for checking this out in detail. I've been so stressed about this this afternoon. In 3 years we can say "we've never lost an email", and I don't want that to stop now!

I hope that the original poster comes back and says that the messages aren't lost... I can't imagine that they would be--the IMAP server just renames a folder, and I've never heard of a filesystem that loses files when a folder is renamed...
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2002, 07:28 PM   #17
pobelly
Cornerstone of the Community

whee... i was kinda in the mood to torture-test something tonight anyway... thanks for the excuse. sincerely hope there's a happy ending...
pobelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2002, 09:55 PM   #18
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

Hello eveyone,

Must say, this is a very robust and committed forum! Thank you to everyone for your efforts at resolving this problem ... fastmail customer service is really top notch!

I've sent webmaster<at>fastmail<dot>fm an email, so hopefully my problem can be resolved.

Started a new thread of some issues I've experienced with Mozilla IMAP and USER.JS ... if anyone has problems as well ....
oysterquartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2002, 09:52 PM   #19
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

Smile Problem Fixed! Thank you Jeremy!

Just like to thank Jeremy and the super Fastmail CS team
for their tireless efforts at resolving my folder and email disappearance problem.

All is well! Folder and all emails have been restored. A+++ for fastmails lightning quick response and super attention to detail! Just incredible service!
oysterquartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2002, 05:12 AM   #20
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Thanks Oysterquartz for your patience and understanding during this time.

For the record, the source of the problem as I've already discussed is that the IMAP server upgrade caused a problem when two renames occured in one session.

The reason that this caused a folder to actually disappear, rather than simply not get renamed, is that the "access control list" (the thing that says who has access to what) got updated successfully to the new name, but the folder itself did not. Therefore the mail was all there, but access was being denied to it!

Once I updated the access control list, everything worked fine.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2002, 06:59 AM   #21
mttpark

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Howard
Once I updated the access control list, everything worked fine.
Hello,

Unfortunately, the same kind of problem still happens.
Today I created some folders through Outlook Express interface. When I attempted to rename them, things began to go wrong... Now I cannot access nor delete my newly created folder.

(I've emailed administrator regarding this.)

Last edited by mttpark : 24 Mar 2002 at 02:37 AM.
mttpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2002, 01:54 PM   #22
VinceS

D'oh! It's happening again

I'm having this folder rename problem now. If I try to rename a folder, I get this error:

Your folder could not be renamed. Your IMAP server refused to rename it.

When I click on Details, I get this:

The server did not respond to this IMAP command berfore the connection was terminated.

At first I thought that I had lost that folder because it came up empty when I opened it, and I got this error message:

Could not select 'test' on the IMAP server, You might try refreshing your folder list to synchronize with the IMAP server.

Under Details, I got:

Mailbox does not exist.

Well, I refreshed my folder list and the folder returned. After playing with this for a while, I found that when I rename a folder in Outlook, I can't access it anymore and the name does not change, but if I use the web access, the mailbox name has changed. Once I refresh, I can access the folder in Outlook with the new name. It looks like the server gets the message, but doesn't respond that the task has been completed.

I'm using Outlook 6 IMAP access, and I'm using SSL. I'm also accessing the mail server from www.fastmail.fm, not fastmail.fm, if that makes a difference.
VinceS is offline   Reply With Quote