EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 7 Nov 2014, 02:53 AM   #1
jltorrez

Gmail Sent Folder

Hello. From time to time I like to clean my gmail account be deleting mails that are no longer relevant. Once you delete them they are gone, unless you sent them out at one point, so they linger on the Sent Folder.

Is there a way to delete those already deleted from this folder?
jltorrez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Nov 2014, 03:08 AM   #2
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

There is no sent folder in Gmail.

Gmail does not support folders.

If you are deleting conversations in Gmail -- if you are using the webmail interface in conversation view -- then deleting those conversations from the All Mail view should also delete mail items with a Sent label.

Gmail is designed to keep mail by default, moving it out of the Inbox view by using the Archive function.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Nov 2014, 03:42 AM   #3
jltorrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptitsky View Post
There is no sent folder in Gmail.

Gmail does not support folders.

If you are deleting conversations in Gmail -- if you are using the webmail interface in conversation view -- then deleting those conversations from the All Mail view should also delete mail items with a Sent label.

Gmail is designed to keep mail by default, moving it out of the Inbox view by using the Archive function.
I guess I've been wrong all along. I delete mails from my inbox and thought that was enough but I found the same mail on my sent folder. So would you recommend deleting from the all mail folder instead?
Old 7 Nov 2014, 04:04 AM   #4
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

The folders in Gmail are actually just labels. You can remove the "Inbox" label therefore, and the message will be removed from the "Inbox". I believe it will still remain in "All Mail" though.

The "Sent Mail" folder different. It is not a label but a display of all of the messages sent by you. I'm guessing that you can't delete these from the "Sent Mail" folder as because they have still been sent by you they will reappear. If you want to delete these you will need to delete them from "All Mail".

There is some useful info here: http://gmail-miscellany.blogspot.co....your-mail.html

Last edited by Adrian Bell : 7 Nov 2014 at 04:09 AM.
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Nov 2014, 12:41 PM   #5
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jltorrez View Post
I guess I've been wrong all along. I delete mails from my inbox and thought that was enough but I found the same mail on my sent folder. So would you recommend deleting from the all mail folder instead?
I would recommend that you stop thinking about label based views in Gmail as "folders."

There is only one copy of any given mail in Gmail. Any individual Mail can have multiple labels.

As Adrian noted, there are a few special labels. Inbox is applied to new mail unless a filter says "skip inbox" or the mail is Archived.

Sent is applied to all mail that Gmail sees with one of your Alias addresses as the sender, however it arrives in Gmail. You cannot directly manipulate the Sent label, an oddity in the Gmail paradigm.

Are you using Gmail via the web interface or in a mail client? If a client, is it the native Gmail client? If you are using a Gmail client, do you have conversation view on or do you see messages in a non-threaded format? Are you using any alias addresses in configured accounts?

Because there is only one copy of any given mail in the Gmail mail store, it is reasonably easy to delete mail in Gmail. They have even implemented warnings to tell you that you are not removing a copy of an email in a folder, rather that delete removes an email from all label views.

Again, deleting from the All Mail view should remove any item from all views. Is this not working for you?
Old 7 Nov 2014, 11:34 PM   #6
jltorrez

Quote:
I would recommend that you stop thinking about label based views in Gmail as "folders."

There is only one copy of any given mail in Gmail. Any individual Mail can have multiple labels.

As Adrian noted, there are a few special labels. Inbox is applied to new mail unless a filter says "skip inbox" or the mail is Archived.

Sent is applied to all mail that Gmail sees with one of your Alias addresses as the sender, however it arrives in Gmail. You cannot directly manipulate the Sent label, an oddity in the Gmail paradigm.

I use my personal gmail account for work and leisure. Recently I backed up a great deal of mails then proceeded to delete them. Just to find them still u
Are you using Gmail via the web interface or in a mail client? If a client, is it the native Gmail client? If you are using a Gmail client, do you have conversation view on or do you see messages in a non-threaded format? Are you using any alias addresses in configured accounts?

Because there is only one copy of any given mail in the Gmail mail store, it is reasonably easy to delete mail in Gmail. They have even implemented warnings to tell you that you are not removing a copy of an email in a folder, rather that delete removes an email from all label views.

Again, deleting from the All Mail view should remove any item from all views. Is this not working for you?
I use my personal gmail account for work and leisure. Recently I backed up a great deal of mails then proceeded to delete them. Just to find them still under the Sent Label. This was odd to me, that's what promted my question. For the backup I did send them again to an alternate account firmly securing theirs spot on the Sent folder lol.

This weekend I am going to go through the all mail and delete from there. Hopefully this will clear some much needed memory. Thanks for your response.
Old 8 Nov 2014, 03:24 AM   #7
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

How did you backup the mails?
Old 8 Nov 2014, 03:30 AM   #8
jltorrez

Quote:
How did you backup the mails?
I searched high and low for an easy way, there is non so what I did was to create an alternate account on Outlook and I send all the mails to that one, the I deleted from gmail. I know it's not right but it works.
Old 8 Nov 2014, 06:26 AM   #9
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

There are many easy ways to backup messages from Gmail.

Any locally based IMAP e-mail client will backup messages from Gmail, including specific backup tools like IMAPSize.

You can set another webmail service to download Gmail messages via POP3.

Google offers deliberate download tools: http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2013/1...nd-google.html

Is there a reason that you want the mails stored in Outlook but not in Gmail?
Old 8 Nov 2014, 06:30 AM   #10
jltorrez

Quote:
There are many easy ways to backup messages from Gmail.

Any locally based IMAP e-mail client will backup messages from Gmail, including specific backup tools like IMAPSize.

You can set another webmail service to download Gmail messages via POP3.

Google offers deliberate download tools: http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2013/1...nd-google.html

Is there a reason that you want the mails stored in Outlook but not in Gmail?
not really, just wanted to mark the difference in user name different dominion. I will check out the link you provided. Thanks
Old 12 Nov 2014, 09:18 PM   #11
CyberSmurf

moderator: thread moved to GMail forum
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote