EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 24 Jul 2013, 11:06 PM   #1
jeffster

Best paid alternative to Google Apps and Outlook.com ?

Hi Guys,

Due to recent privacy concerns, I would like to move my email, contacts and calendaring hosting away from Google Apps (I have a free grandfathered account) and outlook.com

I currently have three domains, two of which are hosted on Google Apps and one on outlook.com.

My main concern is being able to access my calendar on my HTC One X Android handset.

I have tried Pobox, and whilst setting up email was a breeze, I simply could not get the calendar to sync to my phone.

I would have preferred to use ActiveSync, but as Google appear to no longer support this, it will have to be CalDav and CardDav.

I could of course pick any one from a number of providers (Polarismail, Fastmail, Runbox, Posteo, EUMX, etc etc) to host my email and leave my calendar on Google Apps, but I would much prefer to use a single unified solution of email, calendar and contacts at the same provider.

I am happy to pay around $8 / £5 a month for a solution and was intrigued by Atmail Cloud, but the minimum 5 mailbox criteria put me off.

Also, I have considered a hosted Microsoft Exchange service, if indeed I could buy a single mailbox solution.

Any thoughts / suggestions, ladies and gentlemen ?

Thanks In Advance.

Regards,

Jeff
jeffster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Jul 2013, 11:25 PM   #2
soromak
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffster View Post
Hi Guys,

Due to recent privacy concerns, I would like to move my email, contacts and calendaring hosting away from Google Apps (I have a free grandfathered account) and outlook.com

I currently have three domains, two of which are hosted on Google Apps and one on outlook.com.

My main concern is being able to access my calendar on my HTC One X Android handset.

I have tried Pobox, and whilst setting up email was a breeze, I simply could not get the calendar to sync to my phone.

I would have preferred to use ActiveSync, but as Google appear to no longer support this, it will have to be CalDav and CardDav.

I could of course pick any one from a number of providers (Polarismail, Fastmail, Runbox, Posteo, EUMX, etc etc) to host my email and leave my calendar on Google Apps, but I would much prefer to use a single unified solution of email, calendar and contacts at the same provider.

I am happy to pay around $8 / £5 a month for a solution and was intrigued by Atmail Cloud, but the minimum 5 mailbox criteria put me off.

Also, I have considered a hosted Microsoft Exchange service, if indeed I could buy a single mailbox solution.

Any thoughts / suggestions, ladies and gentlemen ?

Thanks In Advance.

Regards,

Jeff
Why have you ruled Polarismail and EuMX out of the list of offering integrated solutions? I use both of them and they both offer ActiveSync and Cal/CardDAV, so I have got all my devices in sync. They are also cheaper than typical MS Exchange hostings.
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2013, 11:39 PM   #3
jeffster

Hi there Soromak,

I havent ruled them out, just looking at other options (I do have a polarismail account, used as a back up, as all email sent to Google Apps / Outlook.com is forwarded to my Polarismail account by a filter)

I am not solely considering MS Exchange , I am considering MS Exchange in addition to offer solutions.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 04:58 AM   #4
cptlo306
Essential Contributor

Aside from the ones already mentioned (Polarismail, etc.), you could get a single Office 365 mailbox with 25gb limit for $4/month.
cptlo306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2013, 10:01 AM   #5
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
transfer your domain to gandi.net with 15 USD per year and you will get a 5 mailbox users sharing 1GB of storage, I am just happy with them coz I love the roundcube interface and all webmail/pop3/smtp are SSLs.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2013, 02:46 PM   #6
2456Zebra
= Permanently banned =

I don't have the expertise to know any of your technical requirements but for a dummy like me, and learning the hard way over the last few days, I'm happy with Zoho Mail (so far). They seem to have a bunch of other products that might do the things you want. Just a passing thought to check out quickly. Goodluck.
2456Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2013, 03:13 AM   #7
Cory
Essential Contributor

If your using an HTC One X have you tried using the Google Calendar app (included on the phone) and sync your Calendar as a Google account? In my experience on Android its instant sync.
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2013, 07:42 AM   #8
jeffster

I am currently testing EUMX, which looks good so far.

Cory - You are correct, but, as stated in my thread opening post,I am looking at moving away from google Apps.
Old 26 Jul 2013, 08:00 AM   #9
Cory
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I am currently testing EUMX, which looks good so far.

Cory - You are correct, but, as stated in my thread opening post,I am looking at moving away from google Apps.
Sorry about that Jeff. Read it to fast.
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2013, 07:41 AM   #10
ccl1
Essential Contributor

Quote:
, but I would much prefer to use a single unified solution of email, calendar and contacts at the same provider.
have you tried zimbra?
you can have email, calendar, contacts with it, but not sure how well the sync to phone works since i've never used it.

i see mrmail has a paid activesync addon for their paid versions https://www.mrmail.com/zimbra-packages/
ccl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2013, 08:56 AM   #11
cptlo306
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccl1 View Post
have you tried zimbra?
you can have email, calendar, contacts with it, but not sure how well the sync to phone works since i've never used it.

i see mrmail has a paid activesync addon for their paid versions https://www.mrmail.com/zimbra-packages/
It works pretty well from my experience.
Old 28 Jul 2013, 07:55 PM   #12
just1acc
Essential Contributor

Does Mrmail support alias in free version? At least one or two, like Yahoo and Outlook.com?

Last edited by just1acc : 28 Jul 2013 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Grammar
just1acc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2013, 11:15 PM   #13
cptlo306
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1acc View Post
Does Mrmail supports alias in free version? At least 1 or two, like Yahoo and Outlook.com?
I don't think so but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 28 Jul 2013, 11:44 PM   #14
just1acc
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptlo306 View Post
I don't think so but I'm not 100% sure.
Okay. Thanks for the info.

MrMail needs too much info before getting start. Plus for free version I can see there is no AJAX interface available. Not exited enough to sign up for one.
just1acc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2013, 03:33 PM   #15
ccl1
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1acc View Post
Okay. Thanks for the info.

MrMail needs too much info before getting start. Plus for free version I can see there is no AJAX interface available. Not exited enough to sign up for one.
heh i've seen you mention that before, but trust me when i say.. you can make up anything, and half fill out the info. thats what i did. its not like they do background checks to verify the correct info :P
unless you mean you can't be bothered to fill out fake info
i don't know if its a quirk or not but you can still use ajax. i'm just using the free one and can set it as default. not sure about aliases. i don't use the @mrmail email account anyway. basically using zimbra for pop access to another account.
ccl1 is offline   Reply With Quote