EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 Apr 2023, 09:46 AM   #1
projmanquest

How to auto-forward--not send a copy--in Fastmail?

I want to have a Fastmail email that forwards all incoming emails to another email address. But when I create a rule to "send a copy," it sends the email on as if it came from the original sender. I want it to arrive at the target email address as if it came from my Fastmail email address--just as if I manually forwarded it.

I have tried a bit in Sieve but am brand new to this and am not sure how to do it (or if it is even possible).

EDIT: I definitely need all attachments to be forwarded along with the body text of the email.

Last edited by projmanquest : 5 Apr 2023 at 12:42 PM.
projmanquest is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Apr 2023, 12:55 PM   #2
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by projmanquest View Post
I want to have a Fastmail email that forwards all incoming emails to another email address. But when I create a rule to "send a copy," it sends the email on as if it came from the original sender.]
So far so good - a "redirect a copy" rule can be created to do that. The "redirect" Sieve command can do that and that would be generated by the "redirect copy" Sieve filter option without you having to write your own explicit Sieve code.

Quote:
I want it to arrive at the target email address as if it came from my Fastmail email address--just as if I manually forwarded it..
Now that's a problem. Don't see any way to do that, i.e. the part that says "...as if I manually forwarded it." I believe if you manually forward an incoming email it forwards the original just like the redirect command but I am not 100% certain of that.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Apr 2023, 01:10 PM   #3
projmanquest

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
Now that's a problem. Don't see any way to do that, i.e. the part that says "...as if I manually forwarded it." I believe if you manually forward an incoming email it forwards the original just like the redirect command but I am not 100% certain of that.
If you manually forward vs. "send a copy" (or redirect using Sieve), the behavior is different:

Manually: The "From:" field is from the forwarding email address. Like in every email program I've ever used.

Auto: The "From:" field is from the original email address. Which I've never seen before Fastmail.

In fact, the autoforwarding behavior strikes me as kind of odd. So if John invites me to a party without addressing me by name and I have it autoforwarded to Bob, it will seem to Bob that John wrote him directly, inviting him.

Last edited by projmanquest : 5 Apr 2023 at 01:16 PM.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 04:06 PM   #4
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by projmanquest View Post
So if John invites me to a party without addressing me by name and I have it autoforwarded to Bob, it will seem to Bob that John wrote him directly, inviting him.
Ok then maybe only changing the From header might be sufficient. That does require some Sieve code. For example.

Code:
if address :is "From" "john's email address" {
  deleteheader "From";
  addheader "From" "your email address";
  redirect :copy "bob's email address";
}
Your email address should now appear as the From when John sees it.
Old 12 Apr 2023, 12:17 PM   #5
projmanquest

Quote:
Ok then maybe only changing the From header might be sufficient. That does require some Sieve code. For example.

Code:
if address :is "From" "john's email address" {
  deleteheader "From";
  addheader "From" "your email address";
  redirect :copy "bob's email address";
}
Your email address should now appear as the From when John sees it.
That worked! Thank you for your help.
Old 19 Apr 2023, 07:06 AM   #6
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakerChovy View Post
Log in to your Fastmail account and click on the Settings icon in the top right corner.
Select "Rules" from the drop-down menu.
Click "New Rule" to create a new rule.
Give your rule a name (e.g. "Auto-forward") and select "All Messages" in the "Apply rule to" section.
In the "Perform the following actions" section, select "Forward to email address."
Enter the email address you want to forward to in the "Email address" field.
Click the "Advanced" link to expand the advanced options.
In the "Send as" field, enter your Fastmail email address.
Welcome to the forum.

Assuming the stuff you quoted is what you actually are seeing I'm curious where you are seeing it using app.fastmail.com web UI (or in the case of the iPhone at least, the FM app)?

The wording you mention for creating rules in the FM UI does not match what I see. Also the only forwarding option is "Send a copy to" not "Forward to email address" and an "Advanced" to allow a "Send as". Because the UI doesn't have a "send as" was the reason the OP started this thread.
Old 4 May 2023, 05:04 PM   #7
Avion

Quote:
Welcome to the forum.
FYI, you've welcomed someone to the forum who is a spammer, and has attempted to hide a spam link in the 'quote' in their post.
Avion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 07:07 PM   #8
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avion View Post
FYI, you've welcomed someone to the forum who is a spammer, and has attempted to hide a spam link in the 'quote' in their post.
I see no hidden links and everything posted on topic and not suspicious.

FWIW I think the OP also posted their question to reddit in r/fastmail.
Old 4 May 2023, 07:17 PM   #9
Avion

The post in question has since been deleted by a moderator, but suspecting that they would do that, I took a screenshot:

https://i.postimg.cc/0N61h3p8/Screen...4-08-59-53.png

The red line contained an invisible link to a games website, the link existed at time of posting and was not subsequently added.

They are difficult to spot.
Avion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2023, 06:29 AM   #10
projmanquest

Quote:
I see no hidden links and everything posted on topic and not suspicious.

FWIW I think the OP also posted their question to reddit in r/fastmail.
Hi, I am the OP and I was not a spammer. The other person was referring to this other account from a username of "FakerChovy" (or something like that) and I guess that was spam (and the answer struck me as incorrect).

My question was legitimate and you solved it for me. I just logged back on here after a few weeks, and just wanted you to know. Thank you again!