EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 25 Jun 2017, 09:47 PM   #451
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Yes, it does. Further, if you do not want your session to ever timeout, click "keep me logged in" on the login screen. Then you do not need to be concerned about your session timing out. [Technically, your session could still time out if there is no activity for 30 days, but I assume you will have some kind of email activity in that kind of timescale.]
lol... I am checking my mail with the "refresh" button in the SOON TO BE DEAD Legendary Classic UI.. very often... so several times a minute some times.. I use:
1) FastMail (MAIN)(LONG LIVE "CLASSIC UI" F.O.R.E.V.E.R.! lol )
and
2) Gmail (secondary email)(for newsletters, spammy stuff, etc)

and that's all I need..
originally I had my very first email account else where... it was late 90s to early 2000s... and was short used... I had a Lycos account after that but can't say I ever used it much... be cause as we all know I FOUND the most LEGENDARY of EMAIL services FastMail in 2003 and haven't needed another email (except for gmail as a secondary )
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2017, 11:19 AM   #452
michaelj

[quote=Bamb0;601602]
AOL just blocked all access to thier AIM network from older clients and 3rd party clients ... I think they have tracking stuff in thier latest AIM client (Version 8) and they wanna make sure everyone is using it.......]

AOL is now owned by Verizon, and the AOL servers are hosting the verizon.net email accounts. They're rolling out a forced migration with threat of losing your verizon.net account. My guess is they'll do the same with the Yahoo accounts at some point, especially since Yahoo had those data breeches on their mail servers.
michaelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2017, 02:08 AM   #453
Gsptlsnz

I'm using https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/
to change the look of the new interface. So far I've added some colors to the screen and it looks a lot better than the standard.

I can't get it to look like the classic but I can improve it somewhat.
Gsptlsnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2017, 08:56 AM   #454
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Which classic style are you emulating? The current interface Classic theme to my eye has exactly the same colors as the Classic style (on the classic interface).

The current interface Classic theme always shows the headers which are hidden in the Standard theme by default (until you click Show details). You can add additional headers to display in the Settings>Mail>Preferences>Reading>Show advanced preferences>Extra headers area.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2017, 08:58 AM   #455
Gsptlsnz

I'm copying Concise as much as possible.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 09:01 AM   #456
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Which classic style are you emulating? The current interface Classic theme to my eye has exactly the same colors as the Classic style (on the classic interface).

The current interface Classic theme always shows the headers which are hidden in the Standard theme by default (until you click Show details). You can add additional headers to display in the Settings>Mail>Preferences>Reading>Show advanced preferences>Extra headers area.

Bill
hmm.. except it the "extra headers" box does not give a link to all possible header codes you can use xD ;p

and I have Theme set to "CLASSIC" and as much of the settings I could based on..
https://www.fastmail.com/help/guides...ransition.html

EDIT:
ps: T-4 days till 'Classic UI" DOOMSDAY! x( x( x( x(

Last edited by joe_devore : 27 Jun 2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 09:54 AM   #457
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Extra headers display in current user interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_devore View Post
hmm.. except it the "extra headers" box does not give a link to all possible header codes you can use ..
There is no such link because you can enter a header name which is unknown to the Fastmail developers. There are a number of common email headers added by the sending server, and a number of email headers added when Fastmail receives the message. You can add any header you wish. Just look at the full headers (raw message contents) on any message you have received and examine the headers. You enter the header name exactly as found in the headers (everything before the colon : making sure to use the proper mixed case). Some extra headers I like to show are:
  • X-Delivered-to
  • X-Spam-source
  • X-Spam-hits
  • Authentication-Results
  • Message-Id
The following headers are automatically shown (if they are present), so you don't need to add them as extra headers. There might be others I haven't noticed:
  • From
  • Reply-To
  • To
  • Subject
  • Date
  • List-Id
  • Size
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2017, 10:03 AM   #458
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

ok thx...

EDIT:
ps: T-3 days till 'Classic UI" DOOMSDAY! x( x( x( x(

Last edited by joe_devore : 27 Jun 2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 28 Jun 2017, 05:22 AM   #459
PON
Essential Contributor

And still no ability to sort contacts by Nickname

Such a simple request.

Oh well. I stopped recommending Fastmail some time ago. Pity.
PON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2017, 05:43 AM   #460
Gsptlsnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PON View Post
And still no ability to sort contacts by Nickname

Such a simple request.

Oh well. I stopped recommending Fastmail some time ago. Pity.
It will be interesting to see how many users switch to another email company because of these two changes - "end of classical interface" and "end of member accounts" .

I'm still not sure if I will stay.

Last edited by Gsptlsnz : 28 Jun 2017 at 05:56 AM.
Old 28 Jun 2017, 06:37 AM   #461
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsptlsnz View Post
It will be interesting to see how many users switch to another email company because of these two changes - "end of classical interface" and "end of member accounts" .

I'm still not sure if I will stay.
Probably, the direct impact will be minimal. A bigger issue, I think, is the long term erosion of trust. A service like FastMail (unlike big players like Google or Microsoft) relies on a loyal enthusiastic base to sell the service's benefits to prospective new customers. Just being technically proficient is not enough in the longer term.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2017, 06:56 AM   #462
PON
Essential Contributor

> A bigger issue, I think, is the long term erosion of trust. A service like FastMail (unlike big players like Google or Microsoft) relies on a loyal enthusiastic base to sell the service's benefits to prospective new customers. <

I was one once. I signed up DOZENS of people, including many families whom I set up with their own domains. I stopped bothering with the referral credit a long time ago but continued to recommend Fastmail. I don't any longer.

I have a good record of being an early adopter (incl. of Fastmail) and if and when I jump I will be sending an email to a fair few Fastmail users, all of whom I advocated should have their own domains so that they could never, in effect, be imprisoned by the sheer hassle of changing of their email address.

That said I'm sympathetic to Fastmail's case but I think they've not handled it well. In my case I haven't even had the courtesy of a reply to several requests to implement sorting by nickname, which is a very important feature for me and which I believe would be trivial to implement. If they can't be bothered to reply it says clearly they don't give a stuff about my business, even after 15 years.
Old 28 Jun 2017, 07:08 AM   #463
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PON View Post
In my case I haven't even had the courtesy of a reply to several requests to implement sorting by nickname, which is a very important feature for me and which I believe would be trivial to implement. If they can't be bothered to reply it says clearly they don't give a stuff about my business, even after 15 years.
yeah.. I have put through several features requests....
all I get is the exact same rub off every time...
Quote:
Yassar Ali (Fri Jun 16th 2017):
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm afraid this is not on our immediate roadmap, however we will take your suggestion onboard in our future product planning.

Regards.

Quote:
Yassar Ali Sat Jun 17th 2017 3:38 AM EDT

Hi Joseph,

I am really sorry that this feature is currently not available in the new UI. We build out new features and update our interface based on technical need and customer demand, and sometimes previous features are lost.
to which I replied:
Quote:
"customer demand,"
LOL I am making said demand

so it falls to POWER users like myself that have been with FastMail since the early days to make said feature requests of features that NEVER should have been removed in the first place...
and that is just one of my tickets... that was for the the better search
results display in the Classic UI..

"sometimes previous features are lost. "
GOOD GAWD, they have SCRAPPED SOME OF THEIR BEST FEATURES.. ooh the INSANITY of it ALL...

yeah, I have been here long time too, at 14 years with FastMail...
Old 28 Jun 2017, 09:03 AM   #464
chickadee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Probably, the direct impact will be minimal. A bigger issue, I think, is the long term erosion of trust. A service like FastMail (unlike big players like Google or Microsoft) relies on a loyal enthusiastic base to sell the service's benefits to prospective new customers. Just being technically proficient is not enough in the longer term.
BritTim, I have always appreciated that you, a seasoned software engineer, have not jumped down the throats of us who are upset by the loss of the "lifetime" member accounts and the classic interface. You understand that we have legitimate grievances.
chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2017, 09:17 AM   #465
PON
Essential Contributor

> legitimate grievances

Fastmail can, and I would argue should, make decisions on the basis of what makes commercial sense. I can understand their argument for discontinuing the old UI and I can live with it. I could put up with any reasonable response as to why they can't implement a feature that's requested, such as sorting contacts by nickname.

What is hard to put up with is no response at all. Insulting customers, and this is what we're talking about, is not a way to win more customers.

I'd like to think that they will have some pleasant surprise in store for the day after the old UI is pulled -- I'm trying hard to give them the benefit of the doubt -- but, actually, I'll be surprised.

Last edited by PON : 28 Jun 2017 at 10:26 AM.