EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 24 Feb 2005, 03:00 AM   #1
trew
Cornerstone of the Community

Rootkits are the next security problems?

Our IDG.net got aware of this text in PC WORLD.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,119720,00.asp

Microsoft Warns of New Security Threat

System monitoring programs, called rootkits, may pose a serious danger to your PC.

Paul Roberts, IDG News Service
Thursday, February 17, 2005

end of quote.

Wish I knew how to protect myself.
trew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Feb 2005, 09:59 AM   #2
Peekay

Rootkits are not a new problem, they're an old problem. Lots of sobering reading here:

http://www.usenix.org/publications/l.../rootkits.html

http://www.usenix.org/publications/l...ompromise.html

http://www.usenix.org/publications/l...s/hackers.html

http://www.usenix.org/publications/l...liability.html

Rootkits worry me a little, but I am more worried that Microsoft could resort to saying this about the destructive individuals who create them:

Quote:
"These people are smart. They're very smart"
Very Hollywood. What will their next useful comment be? "Be afraid... very afraid".
Peekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2005, 05:03 PM   #3
trew

Wow, voi, oh, ouch

If it is that hard to protect yourself on an open source Linux system then it must be much harder on windows? doesn't MS keep some things secret.

Interesting reading indeed.

The shop I bought my computer in. If the owner is a hacker. He had access to the PC when he installed WinXP on it. He could have hide anything there.

Only you and other computer savvy peopel could find out? I have no way of knowing it?

Even Netstat will not show the traffic.

would't a gobetween machine acting like a firewall show it?

the rootkit hackers doesn't have their things installed on that gobetween machine? Justme trying to get how to protect myself.

Maybe all the major PC companies by law has to install it in ROM? Very Hollywood I guess. The Hardware are already compromised?

trew
Old 27 Feb 2005, 06:01 PM   #4
robinson

RootkitRevealer

For all those worried windows users:
You can download a freeware rootkitrevealer over at sysinternals.
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2005, 06:44 PM   #5
trew

Thanks

to Robinson
Old 27 Feb 2005, 07:48 PM   #6
Peekay

Yes, thx Robinson. That's a useful link.

Assuming you have broadband Trew, the best thing I can recommend to improve security is to stop downloading email.

All my email is handled via webmail now. I only download an attachment if it's from someone I know and I was expecting it. All our mail is accessible from the same place, so I can access it in the office, at home, or on the road. Plus, the mail server is backed up with greater reliability than I could ever manage!, so even though it's not on my machines, I actually have less chance of losing archived messages.

I have been working this way for a year now and I can't forsee going back to using a mail client again.
Old 27 Feb 2005, 08:22 PM   #7
trew

Yes but ...

I've heard but due to me being a noob I am not sure if I get it.

They tells me that html email as a webinterface could download a pre file to download a backdoor or trojan.

I guess the latest version of FireFox has tried to stop such vulnerability? So I downloaded that one. I've set my webmail to only show plain text.

I wish the Popcorn prog would be more featured cause it allow one to only read subject lines and it never open the attachments either or only a bit of the source so you see what you get. One could delete the email without downloading it. Helped me with spam on hotpop.

thanks

trew
Old 28 Feb 2005, 02:33 AM   #8
Peekay

Good point about HTML mail. I allow it at present because our ISP sends me emails that are full of text in columns. They are hard to read as plain text.

I would *hope* opening an HTML email remotely in a web browser is less risky than opening it in a mail client on my own computer?. I would be interested if anyone can say for sure.

To be honest, I've never understood why mail clients didn't adopt a stripped-down version of HTML to allow text formatting only, a bit like the BBcode used here in this forum. Would make everything a lot safer.