EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 19 Jun 2022, 05:19 AM   #31
Csin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
The point is that if you file a report by pointing to a link that is obviously blocked then you cannot expect it to be taken seriously.
If the link is blocked, it's blocked at your end. Whether that be censors in EU, Israel, or whatever. It ain't on my doorstep to use a VPN to spoof my location in each and every country, to determine where the website is blocked. It is up to you to use a VPN to circumvent the geo-blocking, if you want to access the link.
Csin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2022, 05:51 AM   #32
Csin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioneja View Post
Quick follow up to my prior post -- I reached out to a friend who also had a paid account that he hadn't used for over 6 months, and like with my situation, he was also able to log in with no problems. (BTW he had moved over to Protonmail and hadn't touched his Tutanota account since the move.)

So that makes two paid accounts with more than 6 months inactivity and both accounts were still fine. So I hope the OP is still reading this thread and will consider reaching out to Tutanota to find out more about what happened to his account.
They shut me down around October. I devoted nearly a month trying to find a working URL to complain to, or ask for refund. No go. Want to contact them? You need to have an account with a working password, which you won't have when they shut you down. The other two links listed go nowhere. Someone said they are on Twitter or Fakebook. Yeah, I don't think I'll be joining the two most privacy-invasive sites outside of Gmail to chase after them.

So then I wasted a few weeks more changing all the addresses to another email. After which, I marked off Tutanota as a lost cause (and rip-off), and moved on. Whether I was shut down intentionally, or accidentally via ineptitude, doesn't really matter after this much hassle. They ripped me off for maybe four euros, but I suspect I'll survive without a refund....certainly not enough incentive to chase them around. I think they wasted enough of my time and caused enough irritation already.

Last edited by Csin : 19 Jun 2022 at 06:20 AM.
Old 19 Jun 2022, 06:17 AM   #33
Csin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Would you really still recommend using Tutanota, even as a free service, when this has happened to you? I mean, I would you trust them for important emails when you cannot even trust them as a paid user?

On the other hand, ioneja had no issues logging in after >6 months of inactivity, so there may be another issue why you could not access your account. But then, I guess a service without reachable helpdesk is also not what you want...

When it comes to the high-security mail providers, I really like Protonmail, would love to have another account with them but I understand that you cannot just sign up for more than 1 free account (??) as that would be taking advantage of a great service.

I may try Mailfence.
Warning against a paid account is not recommending a free account. No, I would not trust them again, but some no doubt will....and for those my advice stands...stick to a free account. There ain't that much difference between the free and premium accounts, other than with the latter they can rip you off.

I'd add that if you are using any free email account for "important emails" you are already gambling one way or the other. Them like Gmail invade your privacy at every opportunity (and sell the data harvest to gawd knows who), while them like Privacyharbor, Amplimail, Woomail, ect., suddenly blink outta existence.

I'd recommend Mailfence as a free email provider (keeping in mind the caveats above), but Lavabit and Posteo is the only ones I'd trust with money.
Old 19 Jun 2022, 07:25 AM   #34
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csin View Post
If the link is blocked, it's blocked at your end. Whether that be censors in EU, Israel, or whatever. It ain't on my doorstep to use a VPN to spoof my location in each and every country, to determine where the website is blocked. It is up to you to use a VPN to circumvent the geo-blocking, if you want to access the link.
They are using cloudflare. Cloudflare reports that the problem is with the webhost (gateway timeout). I have no problem loading their homepage. They are blocking access to every other page on their site. Apparently they are blocking half the world, and I don't see that they're worth the effort of trying to circumvent their blocking.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2022, 07:41 AM   #35
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csin View Post
They shut me down around October. I devoted nearly a month trying to find a working URL to complain to, or ask for refund. No go. Want to contact them? You need to have an account with a working password, which you won't have when they shut you down. The other two links listed go nowhere. Someone said they are on Twitter or Fakebook. Yeah, I don't think I'll be joining the two most privacy-invasive sites outside of Gmail to chase after them.

So then I wasted a few weeks more changing all the addresses to another email. After which, I marked off Tutanota as a lost cause (and rip-off), and moved on. Whether I was shut down intentionally, or accidentally via ineptitude, doesn't really matter after this much hassle. They ripped me off for maybe four euros, but I suspect I'll survive without a refund....certainly not enough incentive to chase them around. I think they wasted enough of my time and caused enough irritation already.

@Csin -- Sorry to hear you went through that, and glad you came back and followed up with this thread. I'll reiterate (and to save people the headache of reading my prior posts) that both my own account and my friend's account were paid for and also >6 months of inactivity and we both had no problem logging in and using our accounts. I've since moved more email over to them and I've had a good experience. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them currently. I use a bunch of services, Tutanota being one of many, and I'm happy with them (although their app is a bit slow, but at least they have a decent app).

They've had some growing pains and a few rough spots when they got hit by a major DOS attack, but they've otherwise been doing well IMO. Perhaps part of what happened with you was during a tough period they were in during the big DOS attack. I can't recall when that happened, but they were rough around the edges during the attack, I'll say that. They've since improved their response.

Again, it's a bummer that you had a bad experience with them and too bad you couldn't get in touch. However, it's right on their contact page how to get in touch, including their email address. I've had no problems getting in touch with them, including an email from a non-Tutanota account, which they answered a few days later.

Their contact page indicates the following info:

Quote:
If you can't login to your account, this has been caused by one of the following reasons:
  • You forgot your password or lost your second factor: Please read How do I reset my password or second factor?.
  • Your account got suspended due to unpaid invoices: Your account may be suspended if you don't pay your open bills for a long time. Just contact us in English or German if you want to continue using your account and include the email address of your suspended Tutanota account.
  • Your account was disabled due to another reason: Some accounts get disabled due to a violation of our Terms of Service. You can contact us in English or German if you think that we made a mistake. Please include the email address of your suspended Tutanota account.
Their email address is hello@tutao.de -- and it's right on their contact page, in the section "I can't access my account" where it says "Contact us in English or German".

I understand if you want to give up though. However, I don't understand why it took you over a month to find a working URL with their contact info. It's right there. Now if their site was blocked by your ISP or government, there are still numerous ways to reach out to them... and you wouldn't have to give up much info about yourself to just ask them or other users who had access to their site on social media or some forum (including this one) what their email address was, which is listed in various places on the net, easy to find. You do NOT need to have an account with them to get in touch with them.

In any case, sorry to hear of your troubles, and as far as your other recommendations of Mailfence and Posteo, I do agree with you that those two services are indeed good and both are worth spending money on.

Wish you the best of luck.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2022, 03:08 AM   #36
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Thanks Ioneja and Csin for both recommending MailFence as a reliable alternative. If I'd need an extra email account in the near future, I'll probably try MailFence.

Without thereby saying I'll never give Tutanota a try. I guess not much can happen with a free account... unless they'd ever suspend a free account too without having any reason for it. In that case, you lose access to stored emails, which would be quite bad.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2022, 06:55 PM   #37
truemagic

lol I actually would really like to try out Mailfence but I've subscribed to (at least) half a year on standard plan with mailbox.org and quite like it at the moment. Not sure what reason to switch so I will just keep an eye on Mailfence!
truemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2022, 12:02 AM   #38
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

I use Mailfence, the free version, nearly exclusively for their file storage system. It is similar to Fastmails file storage, but w/o as many 'bells and whistles'. It is accessible via WebDAV though, which makes it a great option for me.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote