EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 14 Feb 2021, 11:12 AM   #16
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I currently have three Fastmail accounts I have owned for several years:
  • Standard
  • Basic
  • Lite (grandfathered account no longer offered)
At this time, I can add app passwords to any of these accounts and use SMTP/IMAP. So I think that for the time being, old accounts keep their benefits.That's one reason I renew for 3 years at a time -- Fastmail seems to usually keep your account benefits fixed until you renew. The rate is also discounted for longer terms -- a Standard account is $5/month on a monthly basis, $4.17/month on a yearly basis, and $3.61/month on a 3 year basis.

If you had certain old accounts (whatever I had before it was converted into a Lite account), the initial price of a better account is discounted. I assume this is only a one-time discount. So if I open my Lite account (which cost me $45 / 3 years at the last renewal) and try to upgrade, I can upgrade to Basic for $65 / 3 years (compared to the $80 / 3 years normal rate) or to Standard for $115 / 3 years (compared to he $130 / 3 years normal rate). An upgrade to Professional does not receive a discount.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2021, 03:37 AM   #17
digp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
It's only $24 more a year to upgrade.
That is NOT the point.

This is a SNEAKY move.

Such BEHAVIOR does not suit Fastmail.

And WORST they have NOT even announced that they are taking a feature away from the basic package.

What kind of a JOKE is that?

Are they planning on SELLING the company so need to increase revenue?
digp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2021, 03:53 AM   #18
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Has anyone seen anything fail yet on an existing account? My app passwords still work, and it just let me create a new one.

My account renewed three days ago, so it doesn't seem likely it's related to renewal.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2021, 04:48 AM   #19
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I don't understand what you think is so sneaky about this. I still have full SMTP/IMAP capability on both a grandfathered older version (Lite) and the current lowest cost Basic level memberships. All they seem to be doing is changing the feature set for new members, and the differences are easy to see in the comparison chart. Fastmail can change the price and features of their offering for new users at any time, just as the price of anything else you purchase can change. Their obligations (and yours) to existing users are shown in their terms of service.

Bill
Old 15 Feb 2021, 12:35 PM   #20
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
...All they seem to be doing is changing the feature set for new members...Fastmail can change the price and features of their offering for new users at any time, just as the price of anything else you purchase can change...
Just got a reply for my ticket which confirms exactly what you say.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2021, 04:24 PM   #21
lpn

Quote:
It's only $24 more a year to upgrade.
Once could also say that it is more than 60% extra cost.
lpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2021, 04:57 PM   #22
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

$2 a month....go without a coffee
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2021, 04:38 AM   #23
digp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
I don't understand what you think is so sneaky about this. I still have full SMTP/IMAP capability on both a grandfathered older version (Lite) and the current lowest cost Basic level memberships. All they seem to be doing is changing the feature set for new members, and the differences are easy to see in the comparison chart. Fastmail can change the price and features of their offering for new users at any time, just as the price of anything else you purchase can change. Their obligations (and yours) to existing users are shown in their terms of service.

Bill
Please let me explain.

I have NOT said that they CANNOT do it.

Of course they can.

It is sneaky because it is without announcement that is why. And even now total radio silence.

It is called FORCED upselling, customers do not like it. I hope they measure the metrics now they have done this.

Last edited by digp : 16 Feb 2021 at 04:43 AM.
digp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2021, 07:10 AM   #24
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Back in the days Fastmail was more open and transparent about what they are doing and working on. Now you hardly see a message about changes, new developments, etc. The last blogs were all some marketing stuff. They are a real business now.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2021, 08:10 AM   #25
guest2k
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Back in the days Fastmail was more open and transparent about what they are doing and working on. Now you hardly see a message about changes, new developments, etc. The last blogs were all some marketing stuff. They are a real business now.
and business is out there to make $$$ , we can't blame them for that.
guest2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2021, 09:08 AM   #26
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

It wouldn't surprise me if most of the basic accounts belong to long-standing users locked into Fastmail addresses. You'd think that these days most people prepared to pay for email would want their own domain.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2021, 10:04 AM   #27
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Its hard to get a 3 or 4 letter domain these days.

Also some domains are classed as spam by M/S even the ones hosted by Fastmail.
Old 16 Feb 2021, 10:55 AM   #28
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Its hard to get a 3 or 4 letter domain these days.
Also some domains are classed as spam by M/S even the ones hosted by Fastmail.
I'm intrigued by your idea that a domain is "classed as spam by M/S". I assume you meant "emails sent with that domain in From are classified as spam by Microsoft when sent to outlook.com / hotmail.com / live.com email addresses". I have not noticed this for the "fastmail.com", "sent.com", and "mm.st" Fastmail-owned domains or my domain hosted at Fastmail of the form ?????.net. I really don't want my personal domain to be very short -- I'm not sure if you really meant that the complete domain name is 3 or 4 letters (such as mm.st) or the low level domain portion is 3 or 4 characters (such as ???.com or ????.com).

In general, you should not find email systems classifying messages as spam based on the domain name of the sender, unless a user decides to do this manually. Email systems reduce spam at the SMTP stage by blocking certain IP addresses found to be used by spammers, not domain names.

Bill
Old 16 Feb 2021, 02:24 PM   #29
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Hi Bill, well I have a sent.com domain and lots of times people complain that I am in their junk mail folder, its mainly M/S accounts or business email accounts.
To day I still have this problem but if its a new business type account and I think its going to get delivered to a junk mail folder then I use outlook.com or a gmail email address and this cures my problem.

I had my own domain with Fastmail and I had a similar problem, it could be related to the name which is used, but it would only be something like tg, bob or harry ect.

Perhaps I should use something with a few more letters BUT I hate using and giving out long email addresses.

I suppose it does not happen in Outlook or gmail as you cant use short names.

I just liked the 3 or 4 letter domains, something like sent.com but unfortunately I could not find anything like that any more, but its ok I have 3 different email platforms to use.
I dont use my own domain anymore, I got fed up of asking did you get my email.
Old 16 Feb 2021, 02:31 PM   #30
lpn

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest2k View Post
and business is out there to make $$$ , we can't blame them for that.
There are reasonable ways to make money and there is desperate upselling. Makes you think why they would do this.
I am not aware of any other paid email provider practically limiting the ability to use third-party apps on a paid plan by forcing users to more expensive plans.
lpn is offline   Reply With Quote