EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 15 Sep 2018, 01:52 AM   #16
tyler4402

Hi, here is an update, I am home again and have had another session and I have tried again to follow the appended help account files which have been kindly posted, although unfortunately I cannot get any to work, I have again generated a new 16 digit code, but if I open the Sky-Yahoo web mail I cannot find a settings button which could lead to "email accounts" etc, and if I open Thunderbird and click "Tools" there is no >" E-mail accounts or Account Actions" in the menu as stated in the posted instructions, there is just nowhere I can find to paste a new 16 digit pw.
I could open the T/bird Account Settings > Server Settings > and change the settings to POP which I have tried several times but whatever server settings I enter it still asks for a pw which is always rejected, while most up to date information says that the correct server settings for Sky is "imap"
I am now researching the email platform reviews, in order to remove T/Bird, regards Robert
tyler4402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2018, 06:12 PM   #17
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

tyler4402:

What version of Thunderbird are you running?

I don't use it... but if it's like Firefox, users of that have all sorts of problems when 'extensions' interfere with the way Firefox works. Do you have extensions in use in TB? Is it possible to run TB in 'safe mode' so that no extensions get loaded?

It strikes me as odd that you say that TB has "never worked properly" and that you continue not to see options that other people expect you to see. Could you post some screenshots (with confidential contents blurred out)?
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2018, 10:26 PM   #18
tyler4402

Hi Jeremy, thanks for your interest, I am using V52.9.1 32bit at the moment, (not sure if a 64bit is made) T/b always seems to reverted back to just one of the two smtp settings for both accounts (whichever is default) and I got the same mail duplicated in the other account, and the last time I tried to sort that I got into a mess, I'm not sure of the difference between html and plain text and there is probably a degree of incompetence or operator malfunction, I've never been good at setting up email platforms but as I have tried every combination of settings over several weeks and many hours I would have thought that I would have got it right by now.
I don't think any extensions are running, and as I stated earlier if I copy and paste the pw from the "Show pw's box" it continues to ask for a new pw.
It may help others if a solution was found to this problem, but I have now decided to cure it with another program and have settled on Opera Mail, as it will host three email addresses and is simple to use.
I took a few "Print screen" shots but cannot find an obvious way to attach them, regards Robert
Old 18 Sep 2018, 10:39 PM   #19
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler4402 View Post
.I took a few "Print screen" shots but cannot find an obvious way to attach them
There is no way to attach graphics of any sort directly to posts in this forum. You have to store the screendumps elsewhere (there are may sites where you can do it for free, try postimage.com or imgur.com) and post links here.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2018, 11:56 PM   #20
tyler4402

Thanks, I have put 2 images on Postimg, hope this works as I only assumed this was a link

https://i.postimg.cc/g2dCyZGB/Gmail_smtp_settings.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/sDz6bCbM/Gmail_server.jpg
Old 19 Sep 2018, 08:42 AM   #21
davy51
Master of the @

Quote:
Thanks, I have put 2 images on Postimg, hope this works as I only assumed this was a link

https://i.postimg.cc/g2dCyZGB/Gmail_smtp_settings.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/sDz6bCbM/Gmail_server.jpg

The normal password doesnt work for gmail in imap

must use authentication method oauth2

for imap smtp use authentication oauth2 for smtp

along with ssl/tls
davy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2018, 08:56 AM   #22
davy51
Master of the @

Quote:
Hi, here is an update, I am home again and have had another session and I have tried again to follow the appended help account files which have been kindly posted, although unfortunately I cannot get any to work, I have again generated a new 16 digit code, but if I open the Sky-Yahoo web mail I cannot find a settings button which could lead to "email accounts" etc, and if I open Thunderbird and click "Tools" there is no >" E-mail accounts or Account Actions" in the menu as stated in the posted instructions, there is just nowhere I can find to paste a new 16 digit pw.
I could open the T/bird Account Settings > Server Settings > and change the settings to POP which I have tried several times but whatever server settings I enter it still asks for a pw which is always rejected, while most up to date information says that the correct server settings for Sky is "imap"
I am now researching the email platform reviews, in order to remove T/Bird, regards Robert

Look in Edit instead of tools for account settings
Delete your first tries for sky
creat a new account

Follow these directions
  1. Select Edit then account settings.
  2. Select Account actions and then Add Mail Account. Enter the following details and select continue: Your Name: Your first and last name
    Email Address: Your Sky Yahoo Mail address
    Password: Your unique 16-digit app password
  3. When the window refreshes select POP3 or imap and the suggested settings will be displayed. Select Manual config and when the window refreshes, enter the following information: Incoming POP3: pop.tools.sky.com, Port: 995
    Outgoing SMTP: smtp.tools.sky.com, Port: 465
  4. Select Done to complete the set up.
These settings should work for sky

IMAP Email Settings

Incoming Sky Mail Server imap.tools.sky.com Outgoing Sky Mail Server smtp.tools.sky.com Incoming Server Port995 Outgoing Server Port465 SSL?Yes

Authentication is password style

Last edited by davy51 : 19 Sep 2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 20 Sep 2018, 10:16 PM   #23
tyler4402

Hi Davy, thanks for the info, I have tried clicking "Edit" in Thunderbird without success, if I highlight the Gmail account & click Edit the menu only shows > "Select+Find+Favourite and Folder properties" and if I highlight Inbox & click Edit the menu is similar and shows > "Select+Find and Properties"
It's also the same menu for the Sky mail account, I did change the Authentication to "auth2 on both accounts and some email came into them both, but if I try to send a mail it still asks for a pw, regards Robert
Old 20 Sep 2018, 11:02 PM   #24
davy51
Master of the @

Quote:
Hi Davy, thanks for the info, I have tried clicking "Edit" in Thunderbird without success, if I highlight the Gmail account & click Edit the menu only shows > "Select+Find+Favourite and Folder properties" and if I highlight Inbox & click Edit the menu is similar and shows > "Select+Find and Properties"
It's also the same menu for the Sky mail account, I did change the Authentication to "auth2 on both accounts and some email came into them both, but if I try to send a mail it still asks for a pw, regards Robert

Click on the account look to the right
you will see view settings for this account
Go to bottom outgoing server (smtp)
Click it choose account and click edit then change smtp settings here
Old 22 Sep 2018, 07:02 PM   #25
tyler4402

Hi again, yes I found it, although I have always used this account settings button, the problem is as stated earlier that over the last few months I have tried every combination of setting and port you can think of and it still asks for the smtp settings to be checked, I have also made lots of new pw's and have used the same pw which is shown in the "show passwords" area of the Options and it is still rejected, as are all the google and favourite pw's I have ever used.
I would like as a matter of interest like to find out what the problem is, but I'm so fed up I'm going to try another platform, regards Robert
Old 29 Oct 2018, 04:17 AM   #26
tyler4402

Hi all, here is an update, the problem with Thunderbird has been sorted by my grandson, it was something to do with forwarding and he also renewed the pw (I think) anyway things are working as they should so thanks again for all your input, regards Robert.
Old 25 Nov 2018, 04:13 AM   #27
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

This may make me look foolish but I was unable to log in to my email I would get triple letters each time I clicked. Tried another browser and Presto it worked
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2018, 06:53 PM   #28
tyler4402

Update

Hi All, things are still running as they should, so I will call the problem solved and my thanks to you all for your kind help, no doubt I will be back but let's hope not to soon regards Robert