EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 21 May 2017, 05:07 AM   #1
MHartfield

Alternatives to Fastmail due to interface change?

I'm SO frustrated with Fastmail. The new interface sucks big time! Many messages to support must be being answered by a computer, because I am wasting a lot of time having to respond because their answer doesn't address the question. IMHO, the GMail interface is better than the new one, which is horribly in-efficient. FM has taken what was easily the BEST interface ("classic") and turned it into the worst. No support to add emails from a message, can't see the address groups, no more "delete & next" (apparently because FM has decided to pander to the idiots that accidentally misuse it)... They new interface looks real slick with its grey text, which FM has to make larger because it's very difficult to read, so there's at least 50% less data on the screen, which also makes it mind-boggling slow at times. I could care less about looks... I want quality!!! The classic is much easier to read...I could go on and on. I do emailing to several groups, including my High School's 50th reunion, and I'm forced to use the new interface at times to get the graphics correct.

Why doesn't FM have the courage to provide a LIST of discontinued features, instead of trying to force me into horribly-time-consuming work-arounds? It takes 2 or 3 attempts at support before they will finally admit that a feature simply does not exist in the "new" interface.

Support is horrible, and, if anyone from FM is reading this, look at the support tix for mikehartfield@fastmail.fm. You are burning hours of my precious time with no consideration for me!

Sad, sad, sad... I joined FM 5 years ago, was a strong supporter of FM until this happened. Not that it's a big deal, but they probably got 5 customers from me.

What are my alternatives? Staying with this horrible "new" interface is not one of them. I am so disgusted and, from reading other posts, many others are also. Is FM management aware of how many dis-satisfied customers they have???... I do not think so.

----
Mike Hartfield, CPA
Small Business CFO, Taxes, and Accounting
Office: 661/309-4681 • Cell: 818/433-5359
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mike-hartfield/15/306/961

Last edited by MHartfield : 21 May 2017 at 05:16 AM.
MHartfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21 May 2017, 06:07 AM   #2
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Unhappy

Mike your not the only one, I already tried 1-2 support tickets to try and get the two features I rely imported ti the new UI, to no avail!!
- Folder counts (NEW/total)
- trash folder (EMPTY LINK)

two simple and much used features for me...

and just too many people that use whatever FM throws their way without complaint

I AM NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO JUNE 29th, and the GUTTING/retiring of the CLASSIC UI...

as far as replacements.. no idea..

I use FM for my MAIN, and GMAIL for my 2nd mainly for newsletters and possible SPAM drawing/intake so as to avoid polluting my MAIN at FM....

and most important!! WE PAY FOR THIS SERVICE
I was 5 years of Enhanced account, when that expired December 2015 I think I renewed with a Lite account for 1 year then renewed for 3 years last year I think...
but upgraded my non expired 3 years of Lite account to one of the new accounts types, Basic for 1 year....

and I've been with FM since 2003!!

Last edited by joe_devore : 21 May 2017 at 06:15 AM.
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 06:37 AM   #3
MHartfield

Joe:

Thanks for your reply. I was on GMail (since 2006) and still use it sparingly. I'm a CPA with a business & tax practice, and I had several issues with GMail releasing info that was too client-specific (even though GMail says they don't do it), and that's when I signed up for Fastmail. I have had no problems since... I'm careful with who gets my FM address, and I get *maybe* 2 pieces of spam a year. FM is great for that.

I think I'm "grandfathered" in under the $20/( $30?) plan, but I'd gladly pay $100 a year... Fastmail's pricing has never been an issue for me.

But, I email a monthly "newsletter" to about 90 people in a Divorced & Widowed group that I'm part of. I also volunteered to handle the communications for my High School's 50th reunion (about 70 guys)... and I handle communications for our church's 3 day weekend Carnival... I've realized later that it was easy to offer to help because of the "Classic's" strength with groups, and it's overall ease of use.

The "new" interface" is obviously pandering to people that do not do much e-mailing, and do not manage their emails. My server usage is usually below 3%; almost never above 5% - 6%, unless I have received a huge attachment that I haven't offloaded to my computer. My emails in FM consist of open items, and a few things that I retain. It is impossible to do this in the*new* interface.
MHartfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 07:12 AM   #4
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHartfield View Post
I'm a CPA with a business & tax practice, and I had several issues with GMail releasing info that was too client-specific (even though GMail says they don't do it), and that's when I signed up for Fastmail.
Yeah, I can understand you want to keep PRIVILEGED/sensitive PRIVATE..
and GMAIL isn't really the place for it I agree...

for big attachments I usually use DropBox and provide a link to the file at least if its not too bis since the free account on Dropbox is limited to... 2GB

this guide allows you to tweak the New UI a bit, but.. not by much
https://www.fastmail.com/help/guides...ransition.html
Old 21 May 2017, 11:04 AM   #5
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_devore
I AM NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO JUNE 29th, and the GUTTING/retiring of the CLASSIC UI...
Well look @ it this way.... THEY WILL LOSE THE ONLY GOOD CUSTOMERS THEY HAD!! (People who dont accept crap.. Know whats BETTER)
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 03:43 PM   #6
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
----
Mike Hartfield, CPA
Small Business CFO, Taxes, and Accounting
etc
etc
Please check out:

Forum Rules:

E) No signatures [except optionally your name]
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 04:14 PM   #7
chickadee

I feel your frustration, Mike.

Unfortunately, you never experienced the "original" FastMail interface (also known as the "first classic interface"). That was the "filet mignon" of interfaces. It was scrumptious.

Last edited by chickadee : 21 May 2017 at 04:34 PM.
chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 05:08 PM   #8
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee View Post

Unfortunately, you never experienced the "original" FastMail interface (also known as the "first classic interface"). That was the "filet mignon" of interfaces. It was scrumptious.
You can + that by a few 1000

That was fastmail
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 05:40 PM   #9
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
[..] I'm careful with who gets my FM address, and I get *maybe* 2 pieces of spam a year. FM is great for that.
Then remove or mask your email address in the first post.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 06:54 PM   #10
chickadee

Mike, the original interface was aimed at "power" email users. The new interface isn't. And even though the original interface was feature-rich, it was user-friendly. The new interface isn't. That sums it up.
chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 05:24 AM   #11
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee

Yes and its sad they didnt see how good it was

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHartfield
What are my alternatives? Staying with this horrible "new" interface is not one of them. I am so disgusted and, from reading other posts, many others are also. Is FM management aware of how many dis-satisfied customers they have???... I do not think so.
I dont even think they care...... Everything is going to crap........ This is just one more thing!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 09:38 AM   #12
emoore
Essential Contributor

So use a email client instead. Ideally one that lets you heavily customize it.
emoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 01:18 AM   #13
EdinwolfPA
Cornerstone of the Community

The only e-mail provider that comes close to Fastmail is:

luxsci.com

Just a suggestion

David
EdinwolfPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 02:18 AM   #14
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinwolfPA View Post
The only e-mail provider that comes close to Fastmail is:

luxsci.com

Just a suggestion

David
.... nah I looked at them they are geared for businesses...
Old 25 May 2017, 02:42 AM   #15
EdinwolfPA
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_devore View Post
.... nah I looked at them they are geared for businesses...
Can be use for personal too

Just depends on what you are looking for etc.

They are similar to fastmail in features, etc

I use them and I don't have a business.

David
EdinwolfPA is offline   Reply With Quote