EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 17 Nov 2021, 03:08 AM   #1
Fenman
Cornerstone of the Community

Fastmail - what's in beta?

I might be missing something, but is it possible to know what features are in beta on Fastmail at any given time?

Is it just a case of stumbling across it?
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Nov 2021, 04:44 AM   #2
somdcomputerguy

I suppose 'new features' being developed for the beta version may or may not be announced on their blog - https://fastmail.blog/

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2021, 07:06 AM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Unfortunately, there is no reliable method of seeing a list of currently enabled beta features. If you log out of the regular system and activate the beta system, you will receive a one-time message. It currently shows the following (with no list of the features), but I seem to remember that in the past it sometimes showed a short list of features being tested. Or at least that’s what my memory tells me.
Fastmail Beta includes early release features

If you are using the web interface (NOT the mobile app), the sidebar at the right (icon in the upper right) has a New tab which shows a list of recently added features with descriptions. The sidebar and New tab are present in both the normal and beta systems. But I think it shows the normal interface new features, and I’m not sure if it ever shows beta features. The sidebar was initially active in the Fastmail app under beta, but at this time it has been removed from the app and is only available through the web browser interface. I really like the right sidebar, and hope they can find a way to re-enable it in the app. When using my large iPad in landscape display mode (as I am right now), the web interface sidebar looks great, but fo some reason they disable it on the app, even when using the large iPad screen.

In the past when using the mobile app (before the Device Settings method of switching to beta), you would get a one-time display of beta features when it first was activated. But I don’t see that feature now.

It’s possible that there isn’t any significant new feature on the current beta system, which is why there are is no list of beta features. I believe that a few additions have been made directly to the normal system without going through beta. I wish this was more transparent.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2021, 04:14 PM   #4
Fenman

Thanks for that, Bill. I use the sidebar a lot but have tended to overlook the New tab. It's probably the best place to look.

There doesn't seem to be a list anywhere these days but, as you say, there may be no current developments.
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2021, 04:53 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Currently I have only noticed one thing different between the beta and production systems.
  • It affects the Apple iPhone and iPad (iOS and iPadOS) devices. It does not affect the web interface.
  • When these devices are in beta mode, calender items cannot be edited or deleted.
  • New calendar items can be added, and Notes can be edited and deleted. This bug only seems to affect editing calendar items.
  • I only noticed this bug in the last couple of days. I don’t think this bug in beta existed a few weeks ago, but I’m not sure when it appeared. Since I do need to edit or delete calendar items from time to time, I have switched back to production mode on my iPad and iPhone and will file a support report on the bug.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote