EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 Mar 2016, 12:56 AM   #1
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Sending email through Fastmail - hosting provided elsewhere...

Okay,
I suddenly have a problem with the new interface. I've sent a support request... Is this considered cross posting?

I have a few domains that are hosted elsewhere (actually through Gmail)
but I have a few aliases that are forwarded to Fastmail.

myname@mydomain1.com is hosted at Gmail -- Gmail forwards it to
myusername@fastmail.net

In order to keep my sent items off of Gmail's servers, I had (in the old
interface) added a domain "mydomain1.com" and I send emails directly - without using Google's smtp servers

Then, Fastmail provided me with a DKIM key, to enter into the DNS server
handling mydomain1.com

I was never able to receive "mydomain1.com" email directly, but I was able to
have a Key, verify that I was approved to send mydomain1 email through fastmail -- thus keeping my messages I sent out of people's spam folders.

Now, with the new interface, All I get for the mydomain1.com domain is that
it is "not yet active. Waiting for DNS change."

I am provided with no DKIM signature to put into the DNS server. Nor am
I presented with any checks that SPF is configured correctly.

Is there any plan to include this? If not, I'm losing a major chunk of
functionality.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Mar 2016, 06:15 AM   #2
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Hit the "edit" button on that domain, and scroll down to the "Domain Security" section. The record with your DKIM public key is shown there; publish it in your DNS and click "recheck" (or wait, there's an automatic recheck that runs every few hours).

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/YsXKogV.png
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2016, 09:03 AM   #3
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

Rob,
I have green ticks against:
  • DKIM is correctly configured.
  • SPF is correctly configured.

I have the public key against "mesmtp._domainkey.mydomain.com"

So I assume DKIM is setup correctly.

But I have another entry under Text which says:
"_adsp._domainkey.mydomain.com" with value "dkim=unknown"

What dos the latter mean?
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2016, 10:38 AM   #4
unlocktheinbox

You don't have to assume DKIM is set up correctly..

Just verify by sending an email to these places.

check-auth@verifier.port25.com
mailtest@unlocktheinbox.com

Quote:
"_adsp._domainkey.mydomain.com" with value "dkim=unknown"
adsp stands for Author Domain Sending Policy (It's obsolete now)

The dkim=unknown means that domain might sign some or all of it's email..

You can read more about it here: ADSP Info
unlocktheinbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2016, 11:06 AM   #5
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
Hit the "edit" button on that domain, and scroll down to the "Domain Security" section. The record with your DKIM public key is shown there; publish it in your DNS and click "recheck" (or wait, there's an automatic recheck that runs every few hours).

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/YsXKogV.png
But this only works if your MX records point to Fastmail. The Emil is hosted elsewhere, and I only want to sign outgoing messages. I have access to the DNS servers. Right now Fastmail gives me an error that my domains are not configured correctly and MX has to be set up before dkim and SPF is given.

This is different functionality from a few days ago... Again, I do not want the MX records pointing to Fastmail, And so the dkim and SPF info and checks is not shown until MX is functioning correctly...
Old 19 Mar 2016, 06:33 PM   #6
neilj
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
We have new instructions for this rare scenario now in our help (hmm, seems to be only on beta but we're pushing this update out on Monday): https://beta.fastmail.com/help/recei...up-nonsmx.html

In short, you can get the SPF/DKIM records to add and everything will work, but it will continue to show "Waiting for DNS change" on the Settings -> Domains screen.
neilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2016, 10:44 PM   #7
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilj View Post
We have new instructions for this rare scenario now in our help (hmm, seems to be only on beta but we're pushing this update out on Monday): https://beta.fastmail.com/help/recei...up-nonsmx.html

In short, you can get the SPF/DKIM records to add and everything will work, but it will continue to show "Waiting for DNS change" on the Settings -> Domains screen.
Neilj, I'm not seeing what I expect to see on the Beta Server.

The Beta Server is not showing the items under "Domain Security" -- Specifically the green check marks for DKIM and SPF being set up correctly (for domains who's MX Records are hosted elsewhere).

Last edited by ChinaLamb : 19 Mar 2016 at 10:53 PM.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 12:49 AM   #8
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Two points:
  • Is it clear to you that what Fastmail provides for this situation is DNS TXT records to add to your domain's authoritative DNS? This is not at Fastmail.
  • According to the link provided by Neil, Fastmail cannot verify the SPF and DKIM records you add to your DNS for Fastmail. (To be honest, I think limited validation could be done.) Anyway, I expect there is no green mark because Fastmail considers it is in no position to certify that you have added the records correctly to your DNS.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2016, 01:10 AM   #9
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Two points:
  • Is it clear to you that what Fastmail provides for this situation is DNS TXT records to add to your domain's authoritative DNS? This is not at Fastmail.
  • According to the link provided by Neil, Fastmail cannot verify the SPF and DKIM records you add to your DNS for Fastmail. (To be honest, I think limited validation could be done.) Anyway, I expect there is no green mark because Fastmail considers it is in no position to certify that you have added the records correctly to your DNS.
This was provided up until last week. ..

I have dns hosted with name cheap for my other domains, domains which DO have mx records punting to fastmail. And though fast mail does not add the records automatically to name cheap, fast mail can verify that i entered the dkim/Spf records correctly.

For my mail hosted elsewhere, I do not want fast mail to enter this information into my dns provider for me, I can do that myself. .. all I want is to be able to sign mail that sent from fast mail for these accounts. And i want fastmail to tell me if i entered the information correctly. This was all possible up until a week ago.

I simply did not configure mx records, but fast mail gave me dkim signatures that I could add to my dns server and voila... fast mail was signing the emails as they were sent, even though they were not hosted at fast mail. It all worked well.

I should add, fast mail is still signing those messages, but I have no way of checking whether Spf and dkim is correctly configured. (I need to add spf, as I did not configure that before)

Does this make sense?

Last edited by ChinaLamb : 20 Mar 2016 at 01:17 AM.