EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 29 Nov 2017, 10:18 PM   #1
jer39lms

Cleaning up contacts

Hi,

Last night I finally made sure my carddav was working and that Fastmail is now the only contact source on my iphone. All is working well.

I have noticed one problem however, that I suspect plagues others as well and I'd be interested to know how others deal with this.

I have my main contact list - family, friends, work colleagues, etc - and these entries typically have a name, phone number, and/or email address.

I have "autosave contacts" set to On "when I email a new person, save the address to my contacts so that it will auto complete next time." This is a convenient feature as I often have to email someone another time.

The problem is, I don't really want all these new email addresses coming up in my Contact list. It makes the list unwieldy. So for instance, the other day I had to email a customer support department about fixing my watch. I know I'll need to email them again, so I do want it to auto complete. The problem is, while I might want the main store's contact info in my contact list, I certainly don't want this random customer service guy's email in my contact list.

And so now I have a contact list filled with real contacts and then also with a large number of orphan email addresses, many of which I will want to email again and want the auto complete on, but most of which I have no need to show up in my contact list.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to deal with this?

Thanks very much,

Jeremy
jer39lms is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Dec 2017, 03:34 AM   #2
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Jeremy,
I'm not sure how it works with android, but in my android phone , I can show and hide certain contacts based on the labels they have. Can you only show contacts with certain labels?

I have my contacts in several different sub-folders. All those misc. contacts that get automatically added are the ones with "no folder". Not sure if this helps...

I'm waiting on some way to hunt down and delete duplicates.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2017, 04:20 PM   #3
rnkn

Create a contact group in FastMail called “Frequent” or “F&F” or whatever. Put all your friends & family in that. In iOS, tap Groups, then tap to only show that group.
rnkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2017, 11:20 PM   #4
jer39lms

rnkn - love it!! Thanks! I'll do this today
jer39lms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Dec 2017, 03:43 PM   #5
gemselections

thanks for giving an informative answer...
gemselections is offline   Reply With Quote