EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 27 May 2011, 06:18 AM   #1
King Of Email
Cornerstone of the Community

Thumbs up qxp.mobi free email service

In my never ending quest to waste time and find even more free email accounts, I found this little freebie: qxp.mobi on a Bing search. What's wrong Google, too many irons in the fire to serve good old fashioned simple searches anymore? This is a small (15MB) email box with an unusual extension (.mobi), and it's not for mobile phones. It is however run by the German email concern, b1gMail, a well known provider of basic email accounts with debatable results. This is version 7. Looks like a modified version of AtMail and functions well and simply. On test, from a Hotmail address; HTML text, emoticons, and attachments came through successfully and the email service even holds active scripts like emoticons in stasis until you allow them. Not too shabby. At 15MB this service is of only limited usefulness, but those who value simple and ad free interfaces for personal use might find this service valuable.

The link is here: http://www.qxp.mobi/index.php

Last edited by King Of Email : 27 May 2011 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Inserted external link
King Of Email is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 May 2011, 12:59 AM   #2
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Thanks. seems interested.
I didn't meet such webmail interface, what system is it based on?
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2011, 02:03 AM   #3
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
I didn't meet such webmail interface, what system is it based on?
Looks like AtMail..

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Email View Post
Looks like a modified version of AtMail and functions well and simply.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Ennis

I tried to import contacts. It says they're imported but no contacts. They have a help icon and when you click it a blank page appears.

Pass.
Ennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2011, 09:27 AM   #5
pr472

Good work!

I always enjoy it when you find a new email service. Reminds me of the "old days" when new services were popping up every day! (My first web account many years ago was at 888.nu, of all places!).

Thanks!
pr472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2011, 08:17 PM   #6
communicant

I created an account there and have begun to make light use of it. I notice that when sending mail one can request a receipt (which at other services that offer it is usually buried in the headers and ignored by receiving providers and therefore useless), but several other options are also offered at qxp.mobi, like "visiting card" and "certified email." I'm not sure what the "visiting card" option is, and I would appreciate being enlightened by anyone here who knows what an email "visiting card" is.

As for the "certified" option, I sent a test message after choosing "certified" and the recipient receives a link that must be clicked on in order to receive the message. (It works rather like some of hushmail's procedures, only without the encryption and without requiring a "secret word" from the recipient.) I'm not sure what this accomplishes, since most people are sensibly reluctant to click a link in an email and don't want to bother pasting it separately into the browser just a receive a message. Apparently there were a number of experiments with various forms of "certified" email many years ago, but I gather they all failed. I wonder why qxp.mobi (and its large German sponsor) decided to revive the concept.

(Also, I forgot to mention that a "certified" message must be retrieved within a relatively short period of time, after which it expires, so there is a clock ticking on the recipient.)

Headers of outgoing mail do include the originating IP, which some may consider a drawback. Otherwise, so far so good. I'll report again after further use.

Last edited by communicant : 31 May 2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: clarification
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jun 2011, 08:38 PM   #7
communicant

Two additional things since my last post about qxp.mobi:

1) Regarding "certified" email, if the recipient stores the link they send, logs out of the account where it was received, and then pastes it into a browser later, even many days or weeks later (the link stays live for a month), the message pops right up. I had been under the impression that clicking on the link (either in the message or separately) simply resulted in the message being sent to wherever it was originally addressed, but I was incorrect. The link provides the message directly, and apparently it never does appear in the recipient's inbox if he chooses to retrieve it in that way. As I said above, I'm not sure what benefit this provides, or what is "certified" about it. And of course few people will be willing to click on a link in a message or bother to access it separately. Still, it is an interesting variation.

2) I now know what a "visiting card" is. If you choose that option when sending a message, it will arrive with an attachment containing all the information you provided when creating the account! Fortunately I provided no real information, but there were fields for street address, postal code, first and last names, nickname, phone, fax, work number, etc. (These fields are not mandatory except for the name and address fields, which will accept anything at all.) Still, it was a surprise to see the registration information attached to the test message I sent. Does anyone have further information about "visiting cards"? What purpose are they supposed to serve? And do they usually contain the same sort of information that qxp's do? I'm glad I put nothing there that was private!

Last edited by communicant : 2 Jun 2011 at 08:51 PM. Reason: correcting a mistake
Old 8 Jun 2011, 08:34 AM   #8
communicant

Speak of the devil -- I happened to mention qxp.mobi earlier today in another thread, and now it's down. Attempting to navigate there results in

"Database error (Error 0x01)
Failed to connect to MySQL database backend.
A notification about this error has been sent to the administrator. The problem will be fixed as soon as possible."

Not sure what "MySQL database backend" means, but glad I'm not expecting any important mail there today (or ever).
Old 8 Jun 2011, 09:14 AM   #9
King Of Email

qxp.mobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by communicant View Post
Speak of the devil -- I happened to mention qxp.mobi earlier today in another thread, and now it's down. Attempting to navigate there results in

"Database error (Error 0x01)
Failed to connect to MySQL database backend.
A notification about this error has been sent to the administrator. The problem will be fixed as soon as possible."

Not sure what "MySQL database backend" means, but glad I'm not expecting any important mail there today (or ever).
I got that message too. That is often exactly what happens when a less than well known free email service is listed here. It gets more hits and registrations than it ever expected and either goes offline to reconfigure or disappears. I hope some of the others don't do as well because new free webmail nowadays is few and far between.
King Of Email is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jun 2011, 08:36 PM   #10
communicant

As of today, the "failure to connect with MySQL database backend" message continues with no change. I wish there were some way of determining if they actually are trying to fix a technical problem or if the service is simply kaput. With no access, it is obviously not feasible to raise a support ticket there. Could one perhaps write to b1gMail, which "powers" qxp.mobi? (I'm not sure what what "powered by" means in this context. Is qxp actually part of b1gMail, or is b1gMail simply contracted to run the technical side of qxp, the way aol ran mail.com prior to the gmx acquisition? And is ovi.com now part of Yahoo, or just affiliated with it for technical purposes? But those are questions for another thread.) Does anyone have a support address for b1gMail that is not specific to one of their other services? I rather miss qxp.mobi which died just as I came on board, and I hope it comes back to life. It would be good to learn its prospective fate. Any suggestions?
Old 17 Jun 2011, 07:23 AM   #11
communicant

qxp.mobi awakens from a ten-day coma

After ten days of utter inaccessibility, qxp.mobi has suddenly returned and is functional. I offer this bulletin for what it may be worth, which is probably not much. No explanation has been offered for the outage.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 06:07 AM   #12
communicant

qxp.mobi is gone

I logged into my qxp.mobi account two days before the service apparently ceased to exist. Attempts to navigate there now reach a placeholder page.

It was an odd little service (see the posts about it in the above thread from 2011), but it did have its uses.

I'm sorry to see it gone, but I do shake my head and wonder how any sane and responsible person or company can just pull the plug and disappear without any warning at all. Extraordinary circumstances can sometimes produce such a dire result unavoidably, but most services faced with the necessity of shutting down could at least give some notice to users of their intention to close.