EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 23 Nov 2019, 08:34 PM   #1
Samoreen

MArking emails as read when deleted

Hi,

Is there any way to automatically mark emails as read when deleted and sent to the Trash folder ?

Thanks in advance.
Samoreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23 Nov 2019, 11:25 PM   #2
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

Interesting question.
When I delete an unread email to Trash, it appears as read in Trash.
I don't know where and if there is a setting to change this behaviour.
It seems by your question, that emails sent to Trash are appearing as unread.
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2019, 07:10 AM   #3
Samoreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenweed View Post
Interesting question.
It seems by your question, that emails sent to Trash are appearing as unread.
My question was inaccurate, sorry. I just checked and unread emails items deleted and therefore moved to the Trash folder are marked as read... when the deletion occurs in the FastMail web interface.

But this doesn't happen when deleting them in Outlook where I manage various email accounts including FastMail. I tried to write a VBA routine that could set the read/unread flag to read when the email item is moved to the Trash folder after I deleted this code works only for Outlook folders. MAPIFolders like IMAP folders do not support events.

So I guess there's no solution.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 02:32 AM   #4
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

If I am understanding where you are seeing this problem, it may depend on how you have Outlook set up. If you have message preview set for the message list screen, I do not think you will see the issue that annoys you, as the message will be marked read when the message is selected. [Warning: I may be talking rubbish as it has been about three years since I last used Outlook to any extent.]
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2019, 07:09 AM   #5
Samoreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
...I do not think you will see the issue that annoys you, as the message will be marked read when the message is selected.
Thanks. But things are a little bit more complicated. Some messages are automatically redirected to an Outlook folder where I may possibly delete them individually, by group or globally without even reading or selecting them. For example, I can use the Ctrl-A keystroke to select them all and then hit delete. They will not be marked as read.

Anyway, it seems that this is cannot be solved with FastMail options and I don't want to annoy the forum users with an off-topic discussion.

Thanks to you and gardenweed.
Old 29 Nov 2019, 04:17 AM   #6
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoreen View Post
... without even reading or selecting them. For example, I can use the Ctrl-A keystroke to select them all and then hit delete. They will not be marked as read.
As you say, Ctrl-A can /select/ them all... so either way those mails ARE being selected.

If BritTim's idea is correct, then I would expect that either the first or last of the emails selected, in a group, might actually have been read to generate a preview, even if you almost immediately move all the selected items elsewhere. It depends how the viewer is programmed.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote