EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Oct 2012, 05:48 PM   #1
JohnMike

I want an apology and a statement from Lars Boilesen

Todays' completely unannounced / unexpected upgrade which has seen the removal of FM features that have in the past made FM unique and a pleasure to work with, has wasted many hours of my time.

I find it very upsetting and insulting that having been with FM since 2005 that we the users do not even merit advanced warning of the change let alone any input to the removal of some of it's best loved features.

Stating that the system was going down for 30 minutes of maintenance simply does not cover the quantum changes in the service which we have been presented with today.

Please reply yes if you agree with me.
JohnMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Oct 2012, 05:52 PM   #2
Quilleron

Absolutely agree - what the #### is going on.

Fastmail was my rock - the one reliable and superb constant in an ever-evloving online world.

Now it's seriously broken.

Who do these people think they are?
Quilleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 05:59 PM   #3
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

I really think we need to keep this in perspective.

An unannounced and undocumented interface change was unwisely made, but the ability to access the old (classic) interface still exists. Therefore there is no loss in functionality or usability.

You have to make a change in your bookmarks -- let's not overreact as though it's the coming of the new Apocalypse.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 06:20 PM   #4
NumberSix
Cornerstone of the Community

I agree with sflorack. We're still only hours into this thing. Let's see where it's heading. At this point the only thing that's actually broken is the stylesheets - unpleasant but not the end of the world. If they said Classic would be around at least another 3 years, I'd probably tune out right now... (but still hope for and expect the quick restoration of stylesheet functions).
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 06:24 PM   #5
too_much_study

Whilst it is some consolation that "classic" is still available, the problem is that it will no longer be developed/refined/advanced.

If they stick with the new UI, classic will eventually break and no one will fix it...
too_much_study is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 06:26 PM   #6
JohnMike

That is not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post

An unannounced and undocumented interface change was unwisely made, but the ability to access the old (classic) interface still exists. Therefore there is no loss in functionality or usability.

You have to make a change in your bookmarks -- let's not overreact as though it's the coming of the new Apocalypse.
The old interface does not exist. Have you actually signed on to classic? I have after several hours of trying. It is not the old interface it is a pseudo copy of it.

I don't think I am getting carried away having spent the last 4 and a half hours trying to get back to where I was yesterday.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 06:26 PM   #7
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post

Users who have the time and inclination to find and then browse these forums will learn that the original interface still mostly exists and can be accessed. Those who are extremely busy and rely on email for their business are not generally going to know. They are too busy trying to survive the unannounced changes.

I too would welcome a statement that acknowledged the enormity of the mistake they just made and provided some reassurance that it will never happen again. Years ago, FM had reliability problems. They learned from their mistakes and addressed the issue. They now need to learn what business email users need in the real world and convince us that they are committed to providing it.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 06:36 PM   #8
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMike View Post
The old interface does not exist. Have you actually signed on to classic? I have after several hours of trying. It is not the old interface it is a pseudo copy of it.
Yes, I've used it. As I've replied in another thread of yours, I DO see that custom stylesheets no longer function, but the functionality is the same. In my earlier thread, I asked you what feature(s) you're claiming are not working.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 06:37 PM   #9
JohnMike

May I add

I am absolutely all in favour of keeping FM current and smart - I am not a stick in mud. Far from it as per my earliest post today when first confronted with this I am totally up for getting into the new interface and getting used to it. Sooner you start sooner you get used to it. But with such fundamentals omitted like not being able to save to a folder it seems very poorly thought through.

I am I admit very annoyed at not being informed of the changes. This is not how my day was supposed to go today.

I am not sure that if this is Opera's way of doing things that I want to be here any more. I would laugh and fully expect this if it was micro soft or some other faceless organisation. I expected more and better.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 06:38 PM   #10
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Users who have the time and inclination to find and then browse these forums will learn that the original interface still mostly exists and can be accessed. Those who are extremely busy and rely on email for their business are not generally going to know. They are too busy trying to survive the unannounced changes.
I definitely agree with you here. My comments are only to those users (such as JohnMike) who came here to the forums and know that the classic interface exists.

You'd think that FM would have at LEAST posted a link on the new interface that took you back to the classic, or provided instructions on how to do so. I agree that you shouldn't have to come here to find this out.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 06:41 PM   #11
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMike View Post
But with such fundamentals omitted like not being able to save to a folder it seems very poorly thought through.
I assume you literally may "save to a folder" (i.e. copy a message to a folder while still maintaining it in the current folder), because the ability to move a message exists.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 06:46 PM   #12
pivotalgubbins

I can understand the criticism but it is sad to see the pathetic 'I want, I want' posts from some people (who are meant to be so busy but appear to have spent most of their morning here).

Constructive discussion is fine but patience and some sense of perspective is necessary.
pivotalgubbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 07:03 PM   #13
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

For me, the home page seems to lack a login screen. I don't want to cross-post, but as I wrote in another thread, even when I try to go to "classic" I get bounced back to the new home page, where there is simply no visible login field. It may be my old browser, but why then can't I access "classic"?
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 07:09 PM   #14
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by communicant View Post
For me, the home page seems to lack a login screen. I don't want to cross-post, but as I wrote in another thread, even when I try to go to "classic" I get bounced back to the new home page, where there is simply no visible login field. It may be my old browser, but why then can't I access "classic"?
Yes, this is confusing ... go to classic means go to the new interface login screen with an option set that is not "classic". You then need to click "More" under the password text box and check "Use classic interface" before entering your user and password and clicking enter.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 07:32 PM   #15
drakester

Un.effing.useable

I am so screwed by this change. No way to select multiple spams and trash. Gone are 98 percent of the configurable choices. No way back to the old format.

This is so ill-conceived it amazes me.

This is going to take me weeks to rescue, and whoever did this to me has lost a 15 year customer with 4 premium accounts, as soon as I can figure a way out.

Idiots.
drakester is offline   Reply With Quote