EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 26 Apr 2020, 06:15 AM   #1
TenFour
Master of the @

Not exactly sure why, but the FM website seems to indicate the only option on mobile is an authenticator app:

Quote:
Authenticator app
  • An app is installed on your phone and randomly generates codes for you.
  • The code needs to be typed when logging in.
  • Free to download.
  • Must be used if you're using the Fastmail app on iOS or Android, as you cannot plug in a hardware security device.
  • Good if you're new to two-step verification.
Have you tried using Google Chrome on your phone with the Yubikey? Seems like it might have to do with Firefox.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Apr 2020, 11:47 AM   #2
jsfrederick

Fastmail would need to use the Yubico SDK to add support to it's Mobile apps for the YubiKey. So far, they have not done that.

I, too, would like to see Fastmail support YubiKeys on it's mobile apps. As well as migrating from FIDO U2F to FIDO2/WebAuthn
jsfrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 06:12 AM   #3
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Not exactly sure why, but the FM website seems to indicate the only option on mobile is an authenticator app:
I don't see the point in using this setup: if an app on the same device is providing the 2nd factor for accessing the Fastmail app, then the second factor provides no extra security in addition to the password.The second factor should be a separate device to provide additional security.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 08:58 PM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
I don't see the point in using this setup:
Well, in most cases 2FA is rather pointless on cell phones because most of us have a setup that stays signed in to the email apps we use. Otherwise, you would have to go through a rather awkward sign-in ritual every time you check your cell phone, which many of us do every few minutes! But, having an authenticator app on your phone is a relatively painless way of making your email account more secure from remote login attempts, which probably count for 99% of hacks. In other words, the hacker in some other country might get access to your email address and password, but you having the authenticator code on your phone will prevent that person from logging in to your account. IMHO, I've tried using a Yubikey for awhile, but I decided for myself it is just too inconvenient. I rarely forget to bring my phone with me someplace, like my office, but forgetting the Yubikey is easy to do and then you are locked out of everything. Some people therefore keep the Yubikey on their key ring that they always have, but I have multiple key rings. Yes, you can then also have backup Yubikeys, but it is awkward. Also, logging in wasn't all that reliable, even with the Yubikey available. YMMV.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 12:03 PM   #5
rjbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelsferb7 View Post
The docs say U2F does not work on the Fastmail apps. Does anyone know why this is or if support is on the roadmap?
It's on the roadmap.
rjbs is offline   Reply With Quote