EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 26 Aug 2020, 03:58 AM   #1
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

New Firefox for Android released

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2020/0...id-experience/

My 'phone updated to the new browser (Firefox 79.0.5) today.

I must say I'm disappointed at the changes.

For example, it's no longer possible (as far as I can see) to set bookmarks as the homepage.

Anyone else got the new Firefox for Android yet?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Aug 2020, 03:24 AM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

If you think Mozilla pushed a broken Firefox Android build, good news: It didn't. Bad news: It's working as intended

https://www.theregister.com/2020/08/...ndroid_update/
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2020, 12:02 AM   #3
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

It updated on my phone yesterday. I spoke few choice words regarding the "update" too. Yep, bookmarks gone, well it took a while to find them. I liked them on my home page.

Lost my passwords too in the merge from old to new. Found out after the fact, I had to remove the master password. Lucky for me, it's only a few password and I have them also stored in Keepass2Android Password Safe and KeePass.

I used DuckDuckGo as my search engine, it's gone too. Not even available as a selection.

Tried typing an URL (i.e., emaildiscussions.com) in to the address bar, nope, it want to Google search for it. Worked before the "downgrade".

Lost a lot of other setting customization too. Basically everything seem to have reset to defaults.

This is the worse update of Firefox ever in my book. I've been using Firefox since it was Phoenix.

The reviews (including mine) are scathing on Google Play.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Sep 2020, 07:27 AM   #4
EricG
Essential Contributor

Version 80.1.2 is out. I have no interest in the old version nor extensions on mobile. Still deciding whether Edge or Firefox is better.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Sep 2020, 06:02 PM   #5
chrisretusn

Version 80.1.2 added back in as a choice, DuckDuckGo. The address bar/search bar also seems to be working properly again. The one thing that keeps me with Firefox Mobile is the ability to Quit the App and delete browsing date on quit. None of the other browsers do that.

I don't get this "Collections" on the home page. I have zero need to "Collect the things that matter to you" "Group together similar searches, sites and tabs for quick access later."

There are three Icons also shown on the "new" home page; Google, Top Articles, Wikipedia. The first, I don't use Google to search, even if I did I'd use the search/address bar. The second goes to some pocket site, to avoid injecting politics, I'll just say it is very, very one sided. The last? Well maybe there are folks who like searching Wikipedia, me... no much. I see no way to add others... check that, discovered you can using "Add to top sites"

One annoying thing I discovered after the fact. I had three folder groups on my cell phone home screen, with several links saved in each, they are also gone, guess they too go wiped during the migration. Unfortunately some of those I did not have bookmarks for, recreating will be a bit more difficult.

This has happened before with Firefox. I always managed to adapt and learn to like the changes on those previous "downgrades". Only time will tell if the same happens with this "upgrade".

I was not aware the Edge was available on Mobile, I "may" give that a try.
Old 6 Sep 2020, 06:15 PM   #6
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisretusn View Post
The one thing that keeps me with Firefox Mobile is the ability to Quit the App and delete browsing date on quit. None of the other browsers do that.
Firefox Focus does that.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Sep 2020, 06:34 PM   #7
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisretusn View Post
The one thing that keeps me with Firefox Mobile is the ability to Quit the App and delete browsing date on quit. None of the other browsers do that.
In the DuckDuckGo browser, you can set to clear tabs and data on exit - this is the browser I'm now using in preference to Firefox.

You can't open straight to bookmarks on Android, but if you click and hold the icon on screen for a second, a sub menu opens up where you can select bookmarks.

I tried the Opera browser, initially OK, but then discovered that "promoted" links were being added to the speed dial - I don't want a link to booking.com thank you very much!

I then tried the new Microsoft Edge for Android, but just instantly disliked it and uninstalled it.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2020, 09:19 PM   #8
chrisretusn

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Firefox Focus does that.
Why yes it does, took a while to figure out it does that by default when closing via the back button on the phone. LOL

Doesn't seem to have any Sync options, I use it for bookmarks in Firefox. Aside from that it's doable. I will leave it installed for a while. Thanks.

Guess that still makes me a Firefox user.

Last edited by chrisretusn : 12 Sep 2020 at 12:43 AM.
Old 21 Sep 2020, 11:10 PM   #9
chrisretusn

Well I'm still using Firefox Mobile. I've tried a few others, none of them made the grade for me. Brave was recommend to me, I'm just not that Brave.

I want Sync (Bookmarks) and also plugins (notably uBlock Origin). I do most of my browsing on my computer anyway. On Mobile, it's primarily as a pocket brain for searching and occasionally for Facebook (I don't like the App).

I did try Edge. It went like this: downloading... installing... open... YIKES!!... close... uninstall. LOL

Still can't see a use for this tab collections thing.