EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 26 Apr 2006, 04:18 AM   #16
Fenman
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by jwm
Now I think about it I have an account with ipipi which I have not used for ages. Can you set it up so that an email received by ipipi will cause your mobile phone to get sent a text?
Yep. See here

24x has something similar.
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2006, 06:09 AM   #17
jwm

Thanks for that info on ipipi - I will go back and try them again.

As for 24X - their messages seem to cost 15p each which is a lot but I have emailed them for clarification
jwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2006, 06:24 AM   #18
Fenman

24x are dearer but not quite as dear as that, I think. 100 texts are £9+VAT.

I've just come across Bulk SMS who have similar functionality and a good price (about 5.6p for standard, not sure about VAT). I have no expereince of them, though.

By thw way, let's not put VGS in the grave yet. They are still taking signups and their price is the best.
Old 26 Apr 2006, 05:14 PM   #19
jwm

I signed up for 24X and noticed that each time I sent a text it deducted 1.5 credits from my account and based on the fact that the credits cost 10p each at lower purchase amounts that's 15 per message.

I was troubled by the fact that you couldn't find out the prices without signing up (admittedly this is free at first) and then when I clicked on "prices" I got a list of prices for credits. What I didn't get was anything to tell me that each text would use 1.5 credits! I think this is misleading.

I have been exploring ipipi and it seems cheaper and more useful, if a bit complicated at first.

As for VGS Mail it just doesn't work for me any more and Fastmail's SMS doesn't either (which I understand uses VGS Mail)
Old 26 Apr 2006, 05:32 PM   #20
Fenman

I think I must have missed the 1.5 credits issue, which does put it out of reach.

Bulk SMS seems to work out well on price and there is no time limit on credits. There seems not to be VAT.

I've been using VGS actively just recently and it has been fine on Web to SMS. I just tested it on email to SMS and that was fine, too.
Old 26 Apr 2006, 07:14 PM   #21
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Yes Rob the Aussie Optus one charges $0.25 cents per notification but you have to have an Optus post paid account not a prepaid one.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2006, 07:01 AM   #22
jwm

Quote:
I've been using VGS actively just recently and it has been fine on Web to SMS. I just tested it on email to SMS and that was fine, too. [/b]
It has worked ok for a while but suddenly stopped. Last time this happened, a year or more ago, I emailed the bloke that runs it and he made a mysterious adjustment and it worked again.

This time he has not responded to my email and now that Fastmail seem to use VGS Mail for their SMS service that would probably explain why their SMSs don't work either
Old 29 Apr 2006, 04:18 PM   #23
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Fastmail's sms is still working in A.U I just sent myself a test one and it only took about 10 seconds.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote