EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

View Poll Results: Should Fastmail warn you when you send mail without a subject?
Yes, of course. I can't believe you actually need to ask this! 18 23.68%
Well, yes. But it could get annoying. Make it an option, and all is well! 38 50.00%
No. I don't like warning dialogs. Let me do as I please! 15 19.74%
You know what? I don't care either way... 5 6.58%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 Sep 2006, 09:23 AM   #31
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by DarioMor
... and it is still not implemented in main webserver...
And I still (sometimes) send messages with a blank subject header
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2006, 11:13 PM   #32
DarioMor
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by David
And I still (sometimes) send messages with a blank subject header

Me too. I uses several computers each week (because it I allways use the webinterface) and only my home computer has fastmail.fm/mailx as the defaut page.

All other locations I use the quick-typing "fastmail.fm" url.

So... 6 or 7 times each week I make the mistake of send a message without subject (only about 5% of all my messages, I suuppose).

This is still annoying...
DarioMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Oct 2006, 11:41 PM   #33
Chipper
Master of the @

Results as of this posting:

Yes, of course. I can't believe you actually need to ask this!
16 replies, 25.81%

Well, yes. But it could get annoying. Make it an option, and all is well!
31 replies, 50.00%

No. I don't like warning dialogs. Let me do as I please!
10 replies, 16.13%

You know what? I don't care either way...
5 replies, 8.06%

Hmmm... Only 16% do not want it and 75% want it (either default or by option) -- J/R, etc -- any updates on if this might be a no or no go?
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2006, 05:12 PM   #34
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Browser-based workaround

People, people.. funny to see this ancient poll floating up from time to time. Was surprised to find my name on the first page of threads.

Here's a little idea. Why not use a 'user script' (see: http://www.userscripts.org) to implement this functionality and others? I'm not too familiar with how it works, but as far as I can tell userscripts allow you to add bits of javascript that get executed every time a page is called that matches certain criteria. Of course, you'd need to use a decent browser (FF, Opera... no idea if IE7 supports it) to do this...

I'd imagine it's not too hard to use JS to add an event handler on the submit button that checks the value of the subject field for an empty string, and pop up a confirm-box if it finds one. Perhaps even allow you to fill in a new subject in the dialog... Hohum.

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2006, 06:25 PM   #35
sjk
Master of the @

Re: Browser-based workaround

Quote:
Originally posted by kander
Was surprised to find my name on the first page of threads.
It surprised me getting e-mail notification for this thread over two years since posting/subscribing.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2006, 06:43 PM   #36
JasonWard
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Here's a little idea. Why not use a 'user script' (see: http://www.userscripts.org) to implement this functionality and others?
There are a couple of Fastmail scripts on there already. One to kill adverts in Guest accounts and the other to make Gmail keyboard shortcuts work in Fastmail.

I'd be very interested in seeing more Fastmail scripts.

Jason
JasonWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2006, 12:27 AM   #37
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:

Here's a little idea. Why not use a 'user script' (see: http://www.userscripts.org) to implement this functionality and others?
If a person wants the functionality bad enough I guess this a good workaround kander.... but I feel that when we implement fixes like this that it takes the pressure off the fastmail team (to fix things properly for everyone) if we do this and move on it will likely never get fixed.... as I said in the earlier thread, the warning of a blank subject header is basic functionality.

I am disappointed that Fastmail won't just move ahead and fix it. The fact that they won't is a minus point (to them) imo.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 01:48 AM   #38
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
People, people.. funny to see this ancient poll floating up from time to time. Was surprised to find my name on the first page of threads.
Well, it's the right time of year to see undead threads rising out of their coffins! We recently saw one with an almost five-year gap between posts — I think that's the EMD record (so far)...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2006, 06:50 AM   #39
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Chipper
Results as of this posting:

Yes, of course. I can't believe you actually need to ask this!
16 replies, 25.81%

Well, yes. But it could get annoying. Make it an option, and all is well!
31 replies, 50.00%

No. I don't like warning dialogs. Let me do as I please!
10 replies, 16.13%

You know what? I don't care either way...
5 replies, 8.06%

Hmmm... Only 16% do not want it and 75% want it (either default or by option) -- J/R, etc -- any updates on if this might be a no or no go?
Actually less than 26% want it and more than 66% find it annoying...
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2006, 06:59 AM   #40
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Re: Re: Browser-based workaround

Quote:
Originally posted by David
... but I feel that when we implement fixes like this that it takes the pressure off the fastmail team (to fix things properly for everyone) if we do this and move on it will likely never get fixed...
FireFox has many extensions, and every once in a while a new release integrates some of the functionality of the more popular extensions. So I don't think a user's fix means they won't fix it them selves. It can work the other way (ar user's fix seems popular and stable so it can be integrated).

Perhaps Fastmail can devise a way for user's js to be executed from the file storage without needing to use a particular browser with a particular extension.

See also this thread.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 07:18 AM   #41
David
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Re: Re: Browser-based workaround

Quote:
Originally posted by hadaso
So I don't think a user's fix means they won't fix it them selves. It can work the other way (ar user's fix seems popular and stable so it can be integrated)
Considering that it has been years since Fastmail first tried (unsuccessfully) to implement this fix, I consider a (proper) fix to be long overdue..... Fastmail did implement this (at one time) but it didn't work properly (I remember that Rob put this in place) and that it caused other problems. I was left with the impression that if it could be fixed very easily that they would do it, but that if anybody had to spend more than ten minutes of their time on it that it was a no go...

As I said before this is a basic feature (that people expect to have) that is implemented on most email clients and webmail services.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 11:28 PM   #42
Chipper
Master of the @

Quote:
Hi hadaso...

IIRC, I voted "Well, yes. But it could get annoying. Make it an option, and all is well!" but that my vote was based on the fact that I was thinking, "It could get annoying for others." However, if the poll asked "Do you want the warning? Yes/No" I would have answered "Yes."

Regards,
Chipper
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 08:44 AM   #43
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Chipper
IIRC, I voted "Well, yes. But it could get annoying. Make it an option, and all is well!" but that my vote was based on the fact that I was thinking, "It could get annoying for others."
If think I voted the same and for the same reason. This kind of feature seems like a training tool that punishes the user until the user learns not to forget the subject. (in Hebrew the word for "subject" is almost the same as "convicted" and in the army we had a sort of joke about the one that "forgot to fill the subject" ).
Old 28 Oct 2006, 09:29 PM   #44
JasonWard
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Hmmm, not quite, 66% didnt say they found it annoying, most of those said they wanted the reminder, but that it MIGHT be annoying.

Jason
JasonWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2006, 11:51 AM   #45
DarioMor
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonWard
Hmmm, not quite, 66% didnt say they found it annoying, most of those said they wanted the reminder, but that it MIGHT be annoying.
This is the truth: doubtful question, unclear results.

Maybe we nedd another voting with a more direct question:

"Do you want this modification?" Y/N

And if someone dont care or is in doubt, just will not answer the pool.
DarioMor is offline   Reply With Quote