EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 12 Apr 2006, 02:22 AM   #1
hillfamily

Family Accounts

What features do you think make a "family account?"
Right now I have one account on Yahoo and set up filters to funnel each of my kids mail to their own folder. They are only 12 and 14 so they're happy with this.

But what would make a family account? I'm sure each child would want their own login, but I as their parent, need to be able to go thru their in and out boxes. This isn't a secret, my children know that anything they do on the Internet will be reviewed by dad.

Any email sent between family members should be exempt from quotas, bandwidth usage, etc. (Like cell phones do)

Another idea, rather than having to go thru my childrens in and out boxes, how about everything mailed to the child or from the child is automatically cc'd to the parent account.

Other ideas?
hillfamily is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Apr 2006, 02:25 AM   #2
rishi
Essential Contributor

Bcc archiving - every mail sent and received is saved in a separate mailbox. This feature is there in webmail.us
rishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2006, 07:12 AM   #3
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Here's what I think would constitute a decent Family Account plan:

1. One 'Parent' Account, comparable to Full/Enhanced.
2. Children accounts, for a small free, comparable to Member (perhaps with more storage tho, to compete with the ubiquitous Hotmail offering...)
3. The Parent account has access to the children accounts (either through a login or folder-sharing on their own account)
4. Parent can configure (Options screen) the children's accounts, and lock (parts of) the Options screen.
5. A single-checkbox 'Profanity Filter' of sorts, to keep unwanted content from appearing in the children's mailbox.

Some optional features, that would be activatable by the parents, based on how far they're willing to go in their control of the mailbox:

6. Optional: Approve-mode. All mail has to be approved by the parent before it shows up in the children's mailbox.
7. Optional: Whitelist-sending only - Children only allowed to send to addresses on a parent-maintained whitelist.
8. Optional: No access to Empty Trash for children - to prevent receiving bad stuff and then deleting it before Parent gets a chance to see it.

Just some ideas - not thinking about what's reasonable or possible, just what I'd like to have if I were a parent...

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2006, 06:36 AM   #4
Aimlink
Master of the @

You're already sounding like a parent. I'm one and I didn't even think of some of the stuff you mentioned.

I'm personally interested in a family account sort of package as you describe.
Aimlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2006, 07:28 AM   #5
Edward Velo
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by kander
Here's what I think would constitute a decent Family Account plan:

Just some ideas - not thinking about what's reasonable or possible, just what I'd like to have if I were a parent...
It's seems to me that your suggestion is mainly meant for a parent - children setup, and one that doesn't really trust his children... Do you also read the mail that your children receive by post? Or listen to their phone-calls on a second phone? (I don't mean this personally, sorry if it sounds like that, but such a degree of control seems a bit too much I think).

I think a "family account" is meant for getting more accounts for a reduced 'package' price, with some common easy-to-manage options, like a shared domain name.
Edward Velo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2006, 07:44 AM   #6
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Edward Velo
... Do you also read the mail that your children receive by post? Or listen to their phone-calls on a second phone? ...
I'm quite sure Kander doesn't do either. But perhaps he feels his parents may do it as part of their obligation to him as parents...

And I think that "what makes a family account" is a question that can have very different answers, depending on how one interprets the concept.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2006, 08:26 AM   #7
Aimlink
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by Edward Velo
It's seems to me that your suggestion is mainly meant for a parent - children setup, and one that doesn't really trust his children... Do you also read the mail that your children receive by post? Or listen to their phone-calls on a second phone? (I don't mean this personally, sorry if it sounds like that, but such a degree of control seems a bit too much I think).
I would want that level of control, though I certainly wouldn't be using all of it. Respecting the privacy of others is fundamental, including that of your children. However, I'd wish to be able to set some limits and filter some things. He or she could then get on with whatever they wish to do within those limits, without prying eyes.
Old 17 Apr 2006, 09:10 AM   #8
kander
The "e" in e-mail

My vision of the Family account was indeed a 'controlling/monitoring' account. The idea is not to enforce a Big Brother type of regime, though... the idea is that you can hand the parents tools that they can choose to enforce a child's account up to the level that they feel is in line with what they believe the child can handle in responsibility at that moment.

Edward, your reply did feel rather personal even if not intended that way... my ideas on the Family Account were (of course) written based on my personal values, on what I find important in parenting. Your reaction indicates your values regarding this matter differ from mine - I can understand, and appreciate that... I hope you feel the same way when reading the following, which is an answer to your question:

Yes. I would read mail my children receive by post. Yes. I would listen in on their phonecalls. Yes, I would do all that, and perhaps more. Suppose I have a fictional 7-year old daughter... to me, it would be very normal to read her correspondence, to keep track of who she talks with. A child's mind is very impressionable, and if possible I'd like to make sure that the people she talks with do not support ideas I consider to be bad for my child without being able to place them in (my) perspective. However, when does this stop? Suppose she turns 8.. then skip ahead to 13.. 16.. 21? Suddenly, it feels very wrong to peek into her personal life like that. At which point did things change? I'd say at the moment I, as a parent, feel that she is capable of judging an idea before accepting it.. but when that is, is a judgement call only a parent can make.

If someone offers me a choice between an email solution that allows me the choice in how much control I am willing to give my child, and a solution that offers no choice at all (ie: open to the wide world), my personal choice would be the first.

Again, all Personal Point of View. Let's not get too far off-topic - if you want to discuss parenting and how far parents can go in 'protecting' their child, feel free to discuss in PM or mail.

--K

Edit: Started composing before Curtis' reply.. pretty much same idea here.
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2006, 06:52 PM   #9
Edward Velo
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by kander
Again, all Personal Point of View. Let's not get too far off-topic - if you want to discuss parenting and how far parents can go in 'protecting' their child, feel free to discuss in PM or mail.
Kander,

Sorry if my reply came over too personally, it was not meant like this. It's just obvious that we indeed have different opinions about this matter, and I respect your opinion.

But I guess we are going too off-topic now :-)
Old 18 Apr 2006, 08:13 AM   #10
SSV

I wish nobody takes this personally as this is not meant to be personal comment, it's written as such, but I'm too surprised to write this in more general level.

I must say I was shocked to read that 14 years old must submit to such control. If a kid of that age cannot have some privacy when he/she will be ready to start to learn to get used to have it?

I really wish your kids don't tell everything at home and have subscribed to really own addresses and use them at school, library, friend's house etc.
SSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2006, 08:21 AM   #11
Aimlink
Master of the @

The way I see it. There are times when the authorities may need a warrant to search your premises, i.e., breach your privacy etc.

To me, the same applies to children. Yes, though you respect your privacy and not breach it willy-nilly. It may be necessary at times in the interest of child and maybe siblings. In such situations, you declare what you're going to do and you do it. Simple. State the law prior to handing over the machine for use. Once the terms are dictated, then that's that.

This is why I do feel that family accounts should allow that sort of control. Control and power has responsibility that goes with its use. The fact that there are some who may choose to abuse it, doesn't invalidate the usefulness of it. Those parents with no respect for their children's privacy don't need family accounts with control to impose on their children's privacy.

Finally, I don't find this topic to be at all off-topic, since the priority given to implementation of a family type account, as well as the features offered, may well hinge on this sort of discussion.
Old 18 Apr 2006, 08:27 AM   #12
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

I don't think kids want a Fastmail account. At least mine doesn't. They all have here Hotmail!
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2006, 03:05 PM   #13
placebo
Cornerstone of the Community

I think this would also apply to business packages. The business owner may need the ability to monitor how his or her employees are using company resources.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2006, 05:47 PM   #14
Edward Velo
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Berenburger
I don't think kids want a Fastmail account. At least mine doesn't. They all have here Hotmail!
Good point. That is absolutely true. They don't even care about all the advertisements, and certainly don't need any of the special Fastmail features. And the integration with MSN Messenger is essential for them :-)

So I don't see any reason why they would give up their free Hotmail account for a monitored (by their parents) Fastmail account!
Old 18 Apr 2006, 05:49 PM   #15
Edward Velo
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by placebo
I think this would also apply to business packages. The business owner may need the ability to monitor how his or her employees are using company resources.
There is a difference between "monitoring company resources" and "reading (or even censoring) people's email".

But I don't think the "family accounts" are meant for business usage, anyway.