EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 14 Mar 2020, 09:58 AM   #91
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
Where is that option. I can't seem to find it.
On beta.fastmail.com, Settings / Preferences, at page bottom 'show advanced preferences'.

... ahh, in the mobile app first do Settings / Device Settings / Advanced settings, and switch Server Backend to Beta... then Settings / Preferences, 'show advanced' at bottom.

Last edited by pjwalsh : 14 Mar 2020 at 10:14 AM.
pjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2020, 10:16 AM   #92
JeffK

Got it. Thank you
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2020, 03:34 PM   #93
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

@Fastmail on Twitter:

Quote:
Thank you for all your feedback on the UI changes! We’ve heard you about the accessibility needs for system fonts, and know text is displaying poorly on some screens. We’re testing system font access and text tweaks at beta.fastmail.com. Let us know what you think!
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2020, 06:00 PM   #94
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
@Fastmail on Twitter:
Appreciate the quick turnaround.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2020, 08:18 PM   #95
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Thank you for all your feedback on the UI changes! We’ve heard you about the accessibility needs for system fonts, and know text is displaying poorly on some screens. We’re testing system font access and text tweaks at beta.fastmail.com. Let us know what you think!
Accessibility needs?
pjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2020, 09:02 PM   #96
JoeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
Just today I noticed the font change, too.

I have the issue that while the new font looks maybe fine, the rendering in my browser of webfonts in general is slightly blurry and not very good (Firefox 74 on a rolling Linux distribution). It's why I was using the "System font" fallback as long as it was possible.

I'm tired of type foundries throwing their web fonts at sites for a lot of money while the rendering of those fonts is not very good. For example, I have bought a lot of expensive, high-quality type faces and have them installed on my computer for on-screen & print use, and they render perfectly and sharply, while the corresponding web font is always atrocious. I had this issue with Source Sans Pro (installed version vs webfont from Fastmail), Proxima Nova, Open Sans etc pp.

It's annoying to have to do this but Fastmail has actually a very well designed web app. You can override the complete website font without breaking icons etc by just applying a user style (with e.g. the Stylus Firefox extension) that contains:

html {
font-family: sans-serif;
}

to use your browser default or really any other locally installed font. No !important or other overrides necessary. The resulting look consistent across the email/calendar/contact/files/preferences views.

Another way would be to block loading of web fonts for Fastmail altogether. Looking at the source code, they'll fall back to some Apple stuff, Segoe UI, Arial, and then sans-serif.
I'm a long time lurker & just wanted to say thanks for this. Installed it & it worked like you said. I couldn't believe it the other morning when I logged on to be greeted with that blocky mess they gave us.

Would there be a way to use this extension to change the font of incoming emails? There is one font that I find particularly bothersome. I don't know its name but it looks like the font you'd see back in the day made with a typewriter. Any way could the body of the incoming emails be forced to display with a specific font?

Last edited by JoeR : 15 Mar 2020 at 09:13 PM.
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2020, 07:46 PM   #97
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

The ability to use "System Font" is now in the production version of the web interface, not just the beta.

The setting is in Settings - Preferences (scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Show advanced preferences") - then it's the third item "UI Font".
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2020, 08:59 PM   #98
ppm

Thumbs up Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
The ability to use "System Font" is now in the production version of the web interface, not just the beta.

The setting is in Settings - Preferences (scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Show advanced preferences") - then it's the third item "UI Font".
Thank you
ppm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2020, 10:22 PM   #99
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
..it had already (re)selected system font!

J.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2020, 10:33 PM   #100
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

If you'd used the beta, with that selection made, I think the preference would have come from there.

In the complaint I made about the original font change, after they'd brought System Font back to the beta, I asked where they document what's going on within the beta (answer: nowhere), and whether preferences set in the beta and production system are separate or shared (shared).

I do test betas of other software, but do so where there's a community of testers who can discuss with the vendor and each other what isn't working properly, etc. I find it surprising that FM aren't more open about their beta system.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2020, 11:55 PM   #101
chickadee

JeremyNicoll, thank you for the update.
chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2020, 03:06 PM   #102
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I find it surprising that FM aren't more open about their beta system.
That was a large part of what the FastMail forum(s) used to be about until FastMail became upset about negative feedback, and withdrew from the forums. They now put changes into production without seeking such feedback.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2020, 04:32 PM   #103
Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
That was a large part of what the FastMail forum(s) used to be about until FastMail became upset about negative feedback, and withdrew from the forums.
I didn't know that. I only know this is the fastmail forum - that explains in good part how a poor step like this is made
Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2020, 07:21 AM   #104
Junkle

Hi folks,

Though it's already been discussed, I would like to confirm again that the system font selection option is now (once again) live on the production version.
Junkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2020, 08:09 AM   #105
ppm

Cool Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkle View Post
Hi folks,

Though it's already been discussed, I would like to confirm again that the system font selection option is now (once again) live on the production version.
Yes. This is worth repeating.

The updated interface includes several improvements. I like, in particular, the capability to hide folders when empty and to assign different colours to different folders

FASTMAIL reacted quickly to the font-related annoyance.
ppm is offline   Reply With Quote