EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 10 Apr 2007, 08:36 AM   #1
southof40

FM on mobile - silly question perhaps

Hi - As per my previous thread I'm shopping for a new phone and want to access FM/IMAP on it. I've been looking at using PUSH but in doing so I've realised that perhaps I don't need it.

(I should explain my current phone is six years old so this stuff is all new to me).

I believe that on some (all?) IMAP capable phones there is a facility to check periodically for email (just as a PC based email client will) - this is (I think) then a sort of 'poor mans' PUSH ?
  • Could you confirm this is so (preferably with phone model you use it on) ?
  • Do you get some sort of visual/auditory confirmation ?
  • How short a period can you use (ie can you make 'every 10 minutes' ?)

Thanks

R.
southof40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Apr 2007, 08:37 AM   #2
southof40

Do you get some sort of visual/auditory confirmation ?

I meant 'Do you get some sort of visual/auditory confirmation that email has arrived' ?

thanks

r.
Old 10 Apr 2007, 04:17 PM   #3
davidbstanley
Cornerstone of the Community

I have used the Sony Ericsson T68i, P910 and P990 and all work well with FM IMAP. You can set them to poll your account whenever you like. This is more pull than push! The P990 supports IDLE, so supports push. What you must remember though is that you generally pay for the data you receive and it is pretty expensive on a mobile. So regular checking or using IDLE could cost a lot of money. Also, for IDLE to work, you need to maintain the connection, which can be a problem with a mobile device.
davidbstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 06:53 AM   #4
southof40

Thanks David that's exactly what I wanted to know. Any Nokia users out there who can tell me that it is/is not similar in NokiaLand ?
Old 11 Apr 2007, 05:03 PM   #5
eggman
Essential Contributor

i use a nokia e61 with the application named profimail which is 25usd

although it doesn't support IMAP idle i do really like it.

features which i like:
- built in web browser
- handles html mail
- subscibe to multiple folders
- can set max downloaded msg size or just get headers
- auto poll every x mins

because the e61 has wifi i just sync over wifi for free at home and then read mail later...

there is an imap client built in to the e61 which supposably supports imap idle but i prefer prrofimail

cheers, eggman

Last edited by eggman : 11 Apr 2007 at 05:04 PM. Reason: spelling
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 09:27 PM   #6
shenton
Essential Contributor

I've used both Profimail and the built in IMAP client on Nokia N73/N80/E60 and no problems at all.

However, as stated above, these tend to be more 'Pull' than push and I currently have my N73 set to check every 10 minutes. I do get a visual/audio prompt!

Some network providers enable you to get a Push-style service. Currently, I am with Three in the UK and for £5 a month I get unlimited internet (actually limited to around 1Gid download) and access to Push email if I want it!
shenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 09:28 PM   #7
shenton
Essential Contributor

Whoops! Submitted twice! Since I'm using my phone as a modem, maybe the service I have isn't so hot after all!

Last edited by shenton : 11 Apr 2007 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Accidental double post!
shenton is offline   Reply With Quote