EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 6 Mar 2007, 11:19 PM   #1
lordsirpeter

Copying to sent items fails

Hello,

I have 2 problems relating to the same issue and wanted to see if anyone else experienced the same thing before raising it any further -

1. I use Thunderbird for IMAP and originally had it copy sent mails to the Sent Items folder in my FM account. However, even though I have virtually no problems in sending mails, about 50% of the time it either takes minutes to copy the message to Sent Items (a 1kb or less, text only mail) or fails altogether (though the mail gets delivered successfully every time)

Does anyone else use thunderbird for this? Is it more reliable for you? If so, any tips?

2. So to get round the problem I decided to use the 'copy on SMTP' option from 'Personalities' to achieve the same thing in a cleaner way. It almost works except that no matter which folder I choose from the drop-down (originally I chose 'Sent Items' but have experimented with others), the mail gets copied to the InBox. To me this sounds like a bug, but I'd like to know if others use this feature successfully before reporting it.

Thanks a lot!
lordsirpeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Mar 2007, 12:00 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Custom Sieve rules require manual changes for Sent Personalities to work

With regards to your #2:

Are you using a custom Sieve script? In other words, when you go to the Options > Define Rules screen, which title do you see at the top of the screen?
  • Define Rules (normal forms-based rules)
  • Advanced Rules (customized Sieve script)
If you have customized your Sieve script, then when you click Done at the Personalities screen you will see following message at the top of the screen:
Generated script has been commented and appended to your custom sieve script, which you have previously modified by hand.
This means that you must manually copy these commented Sieve additions from the bottom of your custom script to the the start of your script (directly after the require statement).

If you don't manually copy this code and have a custom Sieve script, then the Personality filing feature will not work, and the messages will be filed into your Inbox. If you need help with this, please post here.

Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 7 Mar 2007 at 12:07 AM. Reason: added title
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2007, 12:36 AM   #3
lordsirpeter

Your guess was correct - I evidently hadn't noticed the message about uncommenting and copying over the new code. Once I did so, it began to work.

Thanks for your fast and correct diagnosis!
lordsirpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2007, 08:15 AM   #4
cpriest9774

Ever find a solution to #1 on this? I have experienced this in the past and someone I support (my parents) get this almost every time.

There seems to be no delay in pinging mail.messagingengine.com so it seems its not a network latency issue.

Anyone else seeing this?
cpriest9774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2007, 09:28 AM   #5
znunxnyv

You can set your account preferences in TB to BCC to your fastmail address instead of saving sent messages. Also, in TB — if you haven't customized your settings, it'll try to find a folder called "Sent". The Sent folder in fastmail is "Sent Items". You'll have to manually change it to make it work.
znunxnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2007, 05:41 PM   #6
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
If you search around, you'll find TB & Sent Items uploads have been flakey for the life of TB. It's so sad, Firefox seems so stable, and TB just has some horrible flakiness that never seems to have quite gone away...

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 12:37 AM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpriest9774 View Post
Ever find a solution to #1 on this? I have experienced this in the past and someone I support (my parents) get this almost every time.
As discussed by the original poster (his #2, with my comments about custom Sieve scripts), you can use the Sent Items on SMTP feature for particular personalities configured on the Options>Personalities screen. You can set a folder for the sent messages as well as an automatic BCC (to copy outgoing messages to any other email account). This feature only works if you are using the Fastmail SMTP and have configured the feature in advance via the web interface (now on the normal as well as beta Fastmail login). See this post for more details on how it works:
Personality "Save Sent" & "Bcc" via SMTP

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2007, 01:02 AM   #8
znunxnyv

Sent/BCC via SMTP doesn't work if you send from an address not in your personalities list but you can customize Thunderbird's preferences to BCC when sending.
znunxnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2007, 06:59 AM   #9
denverharless
Cornerstone of the Community

I had this problem for a while too, but I can't remember what change made the difference. I do know that I switched my DSL service from 256KB to 1.5MB bandwidth. For some reason, I think that may have done the trick in smoothing out the communications (though it shouldn't have mattered). I know I also switched Linux distributions (to Zenwalk, which is much lighter on system resources), but that won't help you if you're on Windows.
denverharless is offline   Reply With Quote