EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 30 Dec 2015, 04:07 AM   #1
petergh
Master of the @

Practical Guide to Privacy Online

Hi everyone,

Lately, I've been thinking about how best to walk the fine line between on the one hand maintaining (or controlling) my privacy online, i.e. how to minimise the amount of tracking I'm subjected to, and the amount of information is gleaned from my behaviour online, knowingly and behind my back, and on the other hand use the services I want to use without sacrificing too much.

I'm okay with trusting companies with some information about me in exchange for free use of their services, but I'm not okay with one single company knowing ALL about my doings online (I'm looking at you, Google), and I'm definitely not okay with the myriads of trackers lurking on nearly every webpage out there.

Achieving this goal is not an exact science by any stretch of the imagination, given that one man's privacy is another man's public knowledge, but I'd still like to hear about what tools people who frequent this forum use to minimise the amount of information leaked about themselves online. Here's my list, in no particular order:
  • VPN (privateinternetaccess.com)
  • Browser plugins:
    • Adblock plus
    • NoScript
    • Privacy Badger
  • Disabled all geo-location "services" on mobile devices
  • Disabled targeted ads, location services, search history, etc. as far as possible in my Google account which is required for my Android smartphone
In addition to these decidedly privacy-protecting tools and services, I try to avoid services like Google, et. al., whenever possible, leaving me with the following list of services and programs that together cover most of my primary needs:
  • Duckduckgo/ixquick/startpage for general searches or anonymised Google searches
  • Fastmail
  • Firefox (including their Sync service for bookmarks, etc.)
  • Facebook
  • LastPass
I've deleted my Facebook account in the past (not just deactivated it, but deleted it outright), but came back after a few months, because it was too awkward and cumbersome socially not to be on Facebook. My use of Facebook today is restricted to Messenger (private messages), and I've erased all non-essential information from my profile. I use my real name, because I want people to be able to find me, but you'll never see me "like" anything, or post silly cat videos.

What I'd like to know is if I've missed out on the next great privacy protection plugin, or if there's some other trick everyone's been using for years that has somehow escaped me.

Cheers,
Peter
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Dec 2015, 04:16 AM   #2
Sterox

Thanks for your guide
Sterox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2015, 07:00 AM   #3
17pm
Cornerstone of the Community

May I suggest ublock instead of adblock plus? (And perhaps umatrix instead of noscript)
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2015, 07:04 AM   #4
petergh
Master of the @

Certainly, but I'm curious: why?
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2015, 12:50 PM   #5
beeboy
Cornerstone of the Community

Great guide.

I've switched to ublock origin. It does a decent job and has a webrtc switch for those using chrome based browsers.

I change a few settings in Firefox, Seamonkey, and Palemoon "about:config". Turn off peerconnection and sanitize on shutdown to name a couple.

Seamonkey supplies extra settings to give me more control over encrypted pages. This is a tremendous boon to security.

Private Internet Access is a fine vpn service. Most likely the best for the low price you pay. There may still be a christmas special running.
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2015, 04:28 PM   #6
jl66
Essential Contributor

You can be tracked even with the VPN. There are many methods to do it.
I recommend you to use the VPN and then browse with Tor (Tor over Openvpn) with Full protection enabled and Noscript blocking all scripts (use the mobile versions of networks), then you will avoid most of the fingerprints that will track you.
You can also use the extension: User Agent Switcher in Firefox, and change many settings in this browser (about:config).
jl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2015, 04:37 PM   #7
David
Ultimate Contributor

Though I do not have too much faith in it, I use ublock origin too. If I am looking for security, I send a (snail mail) letter.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2016, 10:12 AM   #8
Zach

Quote:
I've deleted my Facebook account in the past (not just deactivated it, but deleted it outright), but came back after a few months, because it was too awkward and cumbersome socially not to be on Facebook. My use of Facebook today is restricted to Messenger (private messages), and I've erased all non-essential information from my profile. I use my real name, because I want people to be able to find me, but you'll never see me "like" anything, or post silly cat videos.

What I'd like to know is if I've missed out on the next great privacy protection plugin, or if there's some other trick everyone's been using for years that has somehow escaped me.
There are some tips here on protecting your privacy if you feel you "can't" leave Facebook, as well as a link to reasons for why you should try to leave: https://paulbernal.wordpress.com/201...eave-facebook/
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote