EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Oct 2023, 03:45 AM   #1
alistair234

Money into Fastmail account pool.

hi, I would like to know how do I pay money into my account pool? my renewal date is soon, and would like to pay so much into pool via PayPal, but don't how to do it now.

thanks in advance
alistair234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Oct 2023, 04:27 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

See:
https://www.fastmail.help/hc/en-us/a...52494-Payments

You change the payment method to your wish. Fastmail no longer has an “account pool” you can pay into. They will give you credit for certain transactions (such as changing your account type and receiving a credit for the old unused term remainder), but you can’t pay a given amount into a “pool”. They just pull the funds from your payment method (credit card or PayPal) when your renewal is due.

This makes it impossible to pay someone else’s Fastmail bill as a gift unless you get manual intervention by Fastmail staff. Last year I was able to raise a ticket and get this done, but they really don’t want to do such non-standard financial transactions any more, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: I just noticed that you asked a similar question a year ago. As far as I can tell the “lump sum payment into account pool” choice is no longer available.You just set up your payment method and it is automatically charged for the correct amount on your renewal date, based on the account type you have selected.

Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 30 Oct 2023 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Noticed similar post made a year ago
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2023, 06:22 AM   #3
alistair234

I definitely think this is a bad mistake about taking away the account pool, people including myself will not want to be for a longer period any more than 1 year subscription as it become far too expensive, where if you put some money into account pool, 2 or 3 times a year you don't feel the pinch as much
alistair234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2023, 07:00 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I assume they stopped the account pool because of liability issues and the fact that they don't pay you interest. They are not a bank.

If you like smaller payments, you can change your subscription period to monthly and your payment method will be charged every month. This costs 20% more, so a Basic plan is USD $3.00/mo when paid monthly, compared to the USD $2.50/mo yearly subscription rate. I'm sure that Fastmail incurs transaction costs when you make a payment, so they need to charge more for a monthly plan.

I like a multi-year plan for the lower cost, long periods without any charges, and protection against price increases in the future. For a Basic plan you save the following USD amounts for longer terms compared to a monthly plan:
  • $6 saved for one year
  • $15 saved for two years
  • $36 saved for three years
I would never put money in an account which doesn't give interest for a future payment. You were giving Fastmail your funds many months before they were due, but not getting the advantage of a multi-year payment plan.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote