EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 16 Apr 2005, 12:55 AM   #1
imants

replying to hotmail messages

This is a rather minor gripe, but a gripe nonetheless.
How come, when I reply to a message written by a hotmail user while using webmail, the original text never gets quoted? Is there a setting somewhere that I've missed?

Anyone have any insight on this?

thanks

imants
imants is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Apr 2005, 01:06 AM   #2
jtlapp

This has been a problem for me too.
jtlapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2005, 02:16 AM   #3
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
The reply only quotes the "text" portion of an email. Most emails sent as HTML messages also include a "text" portion along with the HTML attachment. Hotmail does not include a "text" portion so Runbox can't find anything to quote. This is more a problem on the Hotmail end because Hotmail is assuming everyone you send messages to will want and/or be able to read the HTML messages. This is a wrong assumption on Hotmail's part.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2005, 02:53 AM   #4
jtlapp

Hotmail may be doing something technically incorrect, but runbox is the only email client I know of that's not quoting hotmail on replies.

Perhaps if there's HTML but no text attachment, runbox can strip the HTML and quote that. If that's too generic, runbox could special-case hotmail messages by knowing exactly where in the HTML page the message is (stripping headers and such).
jtlapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2005, 03:26 AM   #5
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Yes they could. They do it for a "text" view of the html message already. They should have carried that over to the Reply functions.

Regards,
Rich
Old 16 Apr 2005, 05:05 AM   #6
[email protected]
The "e" in e-mail

This surprises me, as a certain well-known service ("Brand F") have been doing this, as well as the useful HTML-to-text conversion (I refuse to view any message as HTML unless I know that it will be worth my while to do so — to date, and I've had e-mail for over 9 years, I've never received any such message), for years...

(edit) I agree with carverrn, this is something for the Runbox programmers to look into.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2005, 05:10 AM   #7
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
If I recall correctly it wasn't until last year the "Brand R" even started converting it for "text" view display. It use to be a blank message in "text" view and you'd have to look at the HTML version.

Rich